Back in 'Nham - Cheltenham.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Re: Back in 'Nham - Cheltenham.

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:38 pm
NSRailings wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:10 pm
StMonkton wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:26 pm Can the fan base have an impact on team performance? Almost certainly yes.

Mousinho was unhappy after the last EFL trophy game because fringe players didn't step up when they were expected to. Now is an important time of the season and he knows that, which makes this transfer window very interesting.
But also based on Whyte scoring a goal Moushino felt that he had impressed enough to start instead of Lane at Bristol despite that not working he started him again out of position yesterday
I get the feeling that Moushino will continue to do so going forward as he was maybe a Moushino choice rather than Hughes etc
This stubbornness and playing favorites even out of position was something that the Cowleys were pilloried for I just hope that this does turn out to be something he continues

However the “get him off” chants from a minority yesterday was inexcusable as would booing the team if this dip in form continues we are better than that as fans in my opinion
Yep, your probably right I reckon the club didn't bother with any due diligence or anything on Whyte, just said ****** it Jonno, who do you want?

Why does there always have to be someone to blame or some reason as to why something just hasn't worked out? Or why a player is injured?

For as long as there have been transfers there have been some that don't work for whatever reason. There is clearly a player in Whyte, for whatever reason it's just not clicking at the moment time will tell if it does. There is clearly some off field issues, and he has been in and out of squads and played various positions as a result none of which is conducive to playing himself back into form. The return to fitness or Scully gives us another option to when it comes to rest and rotation.

Hopefully he is given a chance by the fans after injury.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I mentioned not so long ago that I was concerned that Mousinho seemed to be 'shoe horning' Whyte into the side, especially when he hasn't warranted a starting place. I know he needs games but I think that should only come from the subs bench with his present form he is showing. I firmly think the best team players available should be starting games and changes made during the game should tactics, injuries or tiredness require it. I know that Mousinho had a problem with filling Robertson's place but Whyte has hardly shown the signs that he could do that. I actually think that Lowery could do well in that position with his clever footwork, although he is not match fit.

As for the chanting to get Whyte off is really poor by the Pompey support, although it's not something I heard for myself as I never saw the game. Whyte will know himself he had a bad game and also so will the manager.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

We all know the impact we can have a the players during a game, we must support the Manager and Players now more ever!

I only listened to the game yesterday due to other commitments and the fans sounded in good voice so long may that continue.

Jeering or booing a player is not acceptable IMHO (unless they are clearly not trying in which case they deserve everything they get). Being played out of position doesn’t do a player low in confidence any favours and IMHO is one of the 2 areas I think JM hasn’t quite got right this season.

The second area JM need to improve slightly (IMHO) - in game adjustments be it tactical, formation or personnel. He has an assembled a really good attacking squad but appears to play with the handbrake on at times. Of course this is JM first management position and he will improve with experience and has all the credentials to make a top level coach, hopefully he can prove his ability with us next season in the Championship.

Transfers needed in priority order:-
1. Attacking Mid (replace Robertson/Anjurin)
2. Right sided ball playing CB
3. Pacy CF who can run channels
4. RB (loan until Swanson recovers)

We have Lowery back in contention and Ogilvie is nearing being available too so that will feel like 2 new signings for the squad.

PUP
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

NSRailings wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:10 pm
StMonkton wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:26 pm Can the fan base have an impact on team performance? Almost certainly yes.
You're almost certain? So, you're not certain :lol:
That’s why I said almost.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Good job we`ve got more than 50 points because relegation seemed to be on the cards, oh we are top of the League . Am I on the wrong board!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Interesting comments in the snooze from Moushino regarding Whytes performance on Saturday apparently he had a good game!
I can only surmise that in my opinion he is saying so to encourage Whyte considering the actions of some when he was substituted and the view of most regarding what many thought was a poor performance by him.
But then we are mostly not qualified to judge a players performance as well as the coaching staff
Guess we can expect him to continue in the 10 position unless we sign a replacement for Robertson in the mean time
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mickemo »

In my opinion JM is not helping GW by playing him out of position
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Mickemo wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:43 pm In my opinion JM is not helping GW by playing him out of position
To a certain extent I would agree, however this weekend especially he hasn't had too much choice. I'd also assume that they do have a conversation about it first.

Personally I'd like to see a bit more of Kamara though the middle.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mickemo »

I agree JM is limited now due to injuries to both Anjurin and Robertson, like others I’d have preferred Saydee starting over GW.

I genuinely hope that things improve for GW on and off the field.