Back in 'Nham - Cheltenham.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Re: Back in 'Nham - Cheltenham.

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

eltorrro wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:12 pm Come on guys..we certainly didn't deserve to win it!!

We are our own worst enemy; gifted them both goals; mostly played hoofball; got a centre forward who seems to have lost total confidence and can't head a ball any more; manager plays Whyte instead of Saydee; we are so slow and ponderous with no penetration.

We will not get promotion with this team..end of!
If you just fill out the rest of the league you can save everyone the hassle of the second half of the season.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Personally I think we did enough to win that - two individual errors cost us and we then could quite create a good enough chance. Doesn't really matter how many you have up front or what formation you play sometimes.

Cheltenham defended with their lives and got away with it - fair play to them.

The referee was a little bizzare too!
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Gavin Whyte is a waste of space. Get rid of him. We need to buy some good players in this window or we'll end up regretting this season.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:19 pm
eltorrro wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:12 pm Come on guys..we certainly didn't deserve to win it!!

We are our own worst enemy; gifted them both goals; mostly played hoofball; got a centre forward who seems to have lost total confidence and can't head a ball any more; manager plays Whyte instead of Saydee; we are so slow and ponderous with no penetration.

If you just fill out the rest of the league you can save everyone the hassle of the second half of the season.
??????????????????? What do you mean 84? :?
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

eltorrro wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:29 pm

You know we won't get promoted so why not spare everyone the trouble and tell us the rest of the league and start again in the summer.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:37 pm
eltorrro wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:29 pm

You know we won't get promoted so why not spare everyone the trouble and tell us the rest of the league and start again in the summer.
I have never said we won't get promoted...just not with this team!!! We need to recruit, fast and good.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I never saw the game so I can't comment on whether we should have won or deserved defeat. It is becoming clear that we are not quite good enough in certain areas of the team and the squad not being strong enough. If we are top of the league material we shouldn't really be struggling against the likes of Fleetwood & Cheltenham. The stats of this particular game make typical reading where we have most of the possession and attempts but little to show for it. I think that the summer recruitment wasn't as good as it, maybe, should have been and we should have brought in more experience. The failure to bring in a decent striker is having an effect as is a creative player to help lay on better goal scoring chances. Perhaps too many 'ones for the future' instead of one's for now.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Betelgeuse wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:24 pm Gavin Whyte is a waste of space. Get rid of him. We need to buy some good players in this window or we'll end up regretting this season.
He didn't have a bad game today though did he?
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Cheltenham supporters seem to think this is the best game their team has played for a long time. They have got several players out and didn't give their team much chance today. A couple of posters actually said that Pompey are the best team they have played this season and wondered how they managed to hold on for the win.

I think this is another problem for us where teams see us as a 'big club' and being top of the league it becomes like a cup game. Almost as if it is a 'free hit' and put in that little bit extra. Having said that if we really a are top of the league side we should be overcoming that.
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Which game were you watching? We mixed up our style of play from passing to some long ball. We're trying to play fast football and no way were we slow and ponderous. And Bishop's lost confidence completely? The only thing I agree with is starting Saydee over Whyte. Although Whyte did eventually get into the game after an anonymous first half.

Mentions for Pack, Lane and Kamara. Kamara is still growing as a player just needs to go for it more I think.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

I appreciate that we are all disappointed but some recent performances but I feel that some of the comments above ard OTT, almost as if some have been saving up their negative comments for our first blip of the season.

Cheltenham away was always going to be tough. They have been a decent team, especially at home over the last month or so.

To those who are critising the quality of our players and/or our summer signings, I'd suggest you are being a little unfair as with them we are have been top of the league for most of the first half of the season. Those suggesting we are now about to start dropping are basing this assumption presumably on a few poor results. We can all make predictions but predictions are by no means facts.

I agree we need to have a good transfer window if the right players are available but I don't think that our current players are poor just because of a couple of poor results.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

It's utterly irrelevant but it's worth pointing out that Ipswich didn't beat Cheltenham last season...
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

GreenBlue wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:35 pm I agree we need to have a good transfer window if the right players are available but I don't think that our current players are poor just because of a couple of poor results.
Our current players aren't poor, they are utter rubbish... According to some.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Was having a little scout around the internet to see how our result went down today amongst other teams in and around the top of league one... Found a back from the game on one site... Makes for a very interesting read...about 5 posts down...

https://barnsleyfc.org.uk/threads/portsmouth.327291/
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

GreenBlue wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:35 pm I appreciate that we are all disappointed but some recent performances but I feel that some of the comments above ard OTT, almost as if some have been saving up their negative comments for our first blip of the season.

Cheltenham away was always going to be tough. They have been a decent team, especially at home over the last month or so.

To those who are critising the quality of our players and/or our summer signings, I'd suggest you are being a little unfair as with them we are have been top of the league for most of the first half of the season. Those suggesting we are now about to start dropping are basing this assumption presumably on a few poor results. We can all make predictions but predictions are by no means facts.

I agree we need to have a good transfer window if the right players are available but I don't think that our current players are poor just because of a couple of poor results.

I think I have been fairly consistent with my comments and views on the summer recruitment. I thought some of it was good but others not so good. I think there were failures to recruit in a couple of areas that we are paying for now. Not having a decent striker back up is something I criticised at the time and something that is valid now. I don't think midfield was adequately covered either as was defensive cover for the left of our defence. I am pleasantly surprised by Shaughnessy because I think he has been outstanding.

You say Cheltenham was a tough place to go to but anywhere is tough to go to unless they just give three points away to be friendly. Playing Pompey should be tough too but teams are managing to stay in games with us because, it would seem, we are not quite good enough to live up to our billing. We have got good players for this level and some good acquisitions could get us back on target but, for now, we are in a slump.