Back in 'Nham - Cheltenham.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 45 times

Re: Back in 'Nham - Cheltenham.

Post by phat_chris »

Blue Walter wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:12 am There are mitigating circumstances why our season has started to slump but it is the same for most clubs. All clubs go through testing periods with injuries and suspensions that affect the team. This is where a strong squad comes into its own, which is where I think we came up short in the summer. We already had one of the best center halves in League One to come in when we lost probably the best one. So that wasn't really too much disruption but failure to get an experienced striker and adequate cover for left full back is an error. I think pinning hopes on a young Premier League midfield player was a gamble, one that came off incidentally, but not getting adequate cover there is a mistake. It makes sense to bring in players who have potential but the problem with potential is that it takes time to develop. So relying on players such as Devlin and Yengi to deliver immediate results is a big ask.

I think we started the season with a strong first choice starting eleven but the squad depth has let us down a bit. We do have a chance to put that right in this window so it remains to be seen how we approach that. I hope they go for experience that will be of more immediate effect on the team, or at least a better chance of it. I think we need to change the way we play a bit so that we are not so predictable. I think we need to make better use of Bishop because I think he is struggling under the weight of how he is used. We can still achieve promotion but I do think it is back to the drawing board to make the most of what we have achieved so far. By the way, relegation is now most unlikely now that we have broke through the 50 points barrier.
We have had adequate cover at left back though. In fact, I'd argue that Sparks has proved to be more than an adequate replacement for Ogilvie by providing us with much needed threat going forward which more than makes up for his perceived defensive frailties.

I agree we do need another striker. We lack options up front, either to play alongside Colby or to replace him when he gets tired.

Crucially the area we most need to sign someone is in that creative midfield slot behind the striker. With Robertson and Tino out we need someone to come in and make things tic going forward.

The other place I feel we really need someone is in central defence. Losing Poole for the season leaves a big hole and should we get another injury here, we would be in serious trouble.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

phat_chris wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:21 am
Blue Walter wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:12 am There are mitigating circumstances why our season has started to slump but it is the same for most clubs. All clubs go through testing periods with injuries and suspensions that affect the team. This is where a strong squad comes into its own, which is where I think we came up short in the summer. We already had one of the best center halves in League One to come in when we lost probably the best one. So that wasn't really too much disruption but failure to get an experienced striker and adequate cover for left full back is an error. I think pinning hopes on a young Premier League midfield player was a gamble, one that came off incidentally, but not getting adequate cover there is a mistake. It makes sense to bring in players who have potential but the problem with potential is that it takes time to develop. So relying on players such as Devlin and Yengi to deliver immediate results is a big ask.

I think we started the season with a strong first choice starting eleven but the squad depth has let us down a bit. We do have a chance to put that right in this window so it remains to be seen how we approach that. I hope they go for experience that will be of more immediate effect on the team, or at least a better chance of it. I think we need to change the way we play a bit so that we are not so predictable. I think we need to make better use of Bishop because I think he is struggling under the weight of how he is used. We can still achieve promotion but I do think it is back to the drawing board to make the most of what we have achieved so far. By the way, relegation is now most unlikely now that we have broke through the 50 points barrier.
We have had adequate cover at left back though. In fact, I'd argue that Sparks has proved to be more than an adequate replacement for Ogilvie by providing us with much needed threat going forward which more than makes up for his perceived defensive frailties.

I agree we do need another striker. We lack options up front, either to play alongside Colby or to replace him when he gets tired.

Crucially the area we most need to sign someone is in that creative midfield slot behind the striker. With Robertson and Tino out we need someone to come in and make things tic going forward.

The other place I feel we really need someone is in central defence. Losing Poole for the season leaves a big hole and should we get another injury here, we would be in serious trouble.
I totally agree - we probably need a right back too if Swanson is out for a while. I wonder if the club have plans to play Lowery behind the forward if not I think we might need two there if Robertson is out for a while. I'd also add we also already have another left back at the club in Hume so we can't have 4 on the books when you have squad sizes... Plus Vincent and Laidlaw.

As I've said before I don't think the recent results change what we needed in the window, I think the injuries might have done. I think we will see 3 or 4 through the door maybe 5 or 6 depending on outgoings and if someone like Towler becomes available. Now the fa Cup is out the way and the Xmas fixtures have calmed down I expect we will see the window kick into gear more widely.
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Pompey55 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:30 am I sorry but isolating a pass to Rafferty as Whyte playing well is somewhat amusing throughout the game he was mostly lacking in all areas even through I generally take the snooze with a pinch of salt their rating of 4 for his performance mirrors what most at the game felt yesterday my views on him are not isolated but fairly well felt by I think majority of people watching games either at the ground or on ifollow when available which I believe it was not to most yesterday.
And I still think that we have been found out and need to occasionally change against teams who are pressing our defence when in procession not leaving it so late as yesterday to make those changes.
I'm not saying we have suddenly become crap but that something is not working at present against lesser teams personally I have since the beginning of the season felt that this squad are not an automatic promotion one but in with a good shout at achieving a play-off position which I think many of us would have taken in August
I think JM maybe trying to change some things by starting Whyte. Problem is Whyte was anonymous yesterday apart from one pass as '55 says. He was in an attacking position and had no effect on the game in a very important area. Saydee creates and harrasses. I'd take 60 mins of him over Whyte any day. Bring Whyte on when Saydee's knackered if there are no alternatives. When the News gives a 4 that's all you need to know. Nobody wants a player to do badly but we need to win games.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Rjc365618
Collins Mbesuma

Post by Rjc365618 »

[/quote]

There are three teams with a better goal difference than us, and five teams who have scored more goals than us.

While I understand what your saying about Clarke-Harris at what cost do you sign him? I'm not talking transfer fee, or even wages especially more a case of is it worth upsetting the applecart? Plus it will be him or bishop not both...
[/quote]

We have got ourselves in a good position. Our billionaire owner needs to take a risk and get some experience in to consolidate or risk another playoff disaster . We have a lot of possession and are creating a lot but winning games by 1-0 or 2-1 margins. Clarke-Harris is a proven scorer and we are struggling for goals to finish teams off, I think it would be worth the 500k not to let him go to rivals.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

phat_chris wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:21 am

I disagree we have adequate cover for Ogilvie at left back and this position is our weakest link in our defence. In no way could I agree that Sparkes is a better player than Ogilvie in the left back spot. I do agree that Sparkes does have other attributes that makes him a useful squad player. But if the question is solely about defending I would say he was not the player to have been brought in as defensive cover. I think he would make an ideal wing back and I would probably choose him ahead of Ogilvie in that particular position.

I do agree with you that we need another experienced striker who can play with Bishop or in his position, but then I believe that is something that should have been done in the summer window. I don't really rate Saydee as the number 10 as he lacks craft, in fact I don't really rate Saydee as a striker either. I think he has plenty of spirit and work rate but lacks finesse, but he can certainly disrupt defences and could work well with Bishop up front. We have needed our own creative midfield player for ages and is something else that should have been sorted in the summer.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Rjc365618 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:07 pm
There are three teams with a better goal difference than us, and five teams who have scored more goals than us.

While I understand what your saying about Clarke-Harris at what cost do you sign him? I'm not talking transfer fee, or even wages especially more a case of is it worth upsetting the applecart? Plus it will be him or bishop not both...
[/quote]

We have got ourselves in a good position. Our billionaire owner needs to take a risk and get some experience in to consolidate or risk another playoff disaster . We have a lot of possession and are creating a lot but winning games by 1-0 or 2-1 margins. Clarke-Harris is a proven scorer and we are struggling for goals to finish teams off, I think it would be worth the 500k not to let him go to rivals.
[/quote]

Why not both? The apple cart would well and truly be upset if we fail to gain promotion from our present position as it is. I think it is worth spending money to get someone in who could score the goals to give us that final push, whether or not it hurts anyone's feelings.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:21 pm

[/quote]

Why not both? The apple cart would well and truly be upset if we fail to gain promotion from our present position as it is. I think it is worth spending money to get someone in who could score the goals to give us that final push, whether or not it hurts anyone's feelings.
[/quote]

I was meaning the harmony of the dressing room - I don't think someone like Clarke-Harris fits in. The introduction of a bad apple will hamper the prospect of promotion more than not beating Cheltenham.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:26 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:21 pm

[/quote]

I was meaning the harmony of the dressing room - I don't think someone like Clarke-Harris fits in. The introduction of a bad apple will hamper the prospect of promotion more than not beating Cheltenham.
[/quote]

Is he a disruptive character then? I ask that because I genuinely don't know rather than being a rhetorical reply. I do agree that there seems to be a true team spirit within the squad which is obviously important. The last thing we want is for that spirit to be tested in any way but, if not this particular player, we need someone of his ilk.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

He got a ban and a fine for tweets a while back. I don't recall what for exactly.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

He was banned for 4 matches in 2021 for tweets he made about sexual orientation he had made 8 years earlier when 18
So hardly a disruptive dressing room character just stupid comments made when he was younger
NSRailings
Alan Knight

Post by NSRailings »

If we don't win against Leyton then I think more dissent will begin. We've been top for a lot of this season so far and to not go up would be a massive failure considering the team selections. The chants of "get him off" when Whyte was subbed show there's dissatisfaction already.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Dissent? ****** hell 🤣. I'm as disappointed as anyone on here with recent results but let's keep a level head. Now especially we need to get behind the team and the manager. Not start booing them.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:50 pm Dissent? ****** hell 🤣. I'm as disappointed as anyone on here with recent results but let's keep a level head. Now especially we need to get behind the team and the manager. Not start booing them.
Totally agree. If we’re still irritated in a couple of weeks I think we need to think hard about the next 4 months.

Is the manager going to be sacked? Answer no.

Can the fan base have an impact on team performance? Almost certainly yes. In which case don’t we all need to get behind the team to give them the best shot possible?

It will indeed be a bitter blow if we don’t go up this year but let’s save the brickbats until that becomes certain ( which of course we all hope is not the case).

We all know fans love the club more than any owner, manager or player so don’t we need to do all we can to aid success, just as we expect them to do.

PUP. REALLY!
NSRailings
Alan Knight

Post by NSRailings »

StMonkton wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:26 pm Can the fan base have an impact on team performance? Almost certainly yes.
You're almost certain? So, you're not certain :lol:

Supporters can get behind a team all the can, but if a player or two isn't happy and not performing then it won't make any difference and it's down to the manager to make the right choices. I'm not condoning when supporters chanted "get him off" when Whyte was subbed, but it's a fact at Pompey that if a player isn't performing after being given a chance then why should he be selected anymore when there are better alternatives?

Mousinho was unhappy after the last EFL trophy game because fringe players didn't step up when they were expected to. Now is an important time of the season and he knows that, which makes this transfer window very interesting.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

NSRailings wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:10 pm
StMonkton wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:26 pm Can the fan base have an impact on team performance? Almost certainly yes.

Mousinho was unhappy after the last EFL trophy game because fringe players didn't step up when they were expected to. Now is an important time of the season and he knows that, which makes this transfer window very interesting.
But also based on Whyte scoring a goal Moushino felt that he had impressed enough to start instead of Lane at Bristol despite that not working he started him again out of position yesterday
I get the feeling that Moushino will continue to do so going forward as he was maybe a Moushino choice rather than Hughes etc
This stubbornness and playing favorites even out of position was something that the Cowleys were pilloried for I just hope that this does turn out to be something he continues

However the “get him off” chants from a minority yesterday was inexcusable as would booing the team if this dip in form continues we are better than that as fans in my opinion