Back in 'Nham - Cheltenham.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Back in 'Nham - Cheltenham.

Post by Betelgeuse »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:08 pm
Betelgeuse wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:24 pm Gavin Whyte is a waste of space. Get rid of him. We need to buy some good players in this window or we'll end up regretting this season.
He didn't have a bad game today though did he?
He did nothing of note as usual.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

eltorrro wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:12 pm Come on guys..we certainly didn't deserve to win it!!

We are our own worst enemy; gifted them both goals; mostly played hoofball; got a centre forward who seems to have lost total confidence and can't head a ball any more; manager plays Whyte instead of Saydee; we are so slow and ponderous with no penetration.

We will not get promotion with this team..end of!
Remind me again where we are in the league with this hod awful team?
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:17 pm
eltorrro wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:12 pm Come on guys..we certainly didn't deserve to win it!!

We are our own worst enemy; gifted them both goals; mostly played hoofball; got a centre forward who seems to have lost total confidence and can't head a ball any more; manager plays Whyte instead of Saydee; we are so slow and ponderous with no penetration.

We are top of the league but having a bit of a slump and we need some reinforcements.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:22 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:17 pm

We are top of the league but having a bit of a slump and we need some reinforcements.
Which is a rather more realistic statement than some of the others on here...
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

NSRailings wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:14 pm Robertson out so Whyte starts. Would've started Saydee personally.
Would have even started my missus after seeing that performance from him
Totally clueless can’t play 7 can’t play 11 and certainly can’t play 10
WTF does Moushino see in him
Posted just after I got home after freezing to death in the west country
Last edited by Pompey55 on Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:08 pm
Betelgeuse wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:24 pm Gavin Whyte is a waste of space. Get rid of him. We need to buy some good players in this window or we'll end up regretting this season.
He didn't have a bad game today though did he?
Yes he bl**dy did waste of a shirt
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

GreenBlue wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:35 pm I appreciate that we are all disappointed but some recent performances but I feel that some of the comments above ard OTT, almost as if some have been saving up their negative comments for our first blip of the season.

Cheltenham away was always going to be tough. They have been a decent team, especially at home over the last month or so.

To those who are critising the quality of our players and/or our summer signings, I'd suggest you are being a little unfair as with them we are have been top of the league for most of the first half of the season. Those suggesting we are now about to start dropping are basing this assumption presumably on a few poor results. We can all make predictions but predictions are by no means facts.

I agree we need to have a good transfer window if the right players are available but I don't think that our current players are poor just because of a couple of poor results.
Overall I’d say we should have won today apart from 2 dreadful pieces of defending
My worry is that the fabled 2 players for every position we were told we have is starting to sound a little hollow as it’s beginning to show that take away certain players and we do not have adequate replacements for them and sorry our 2 so called “marque” players are no more than average at best
Why is Whyte considered a suitable number 10 when he has played his whole career as a winger it’s seems to many at the game today and also at Exeter that he his being played come what may
I admit I have never been a fan of his but I’ve recently heard supporters groan at the very mention of his name
However the chant’s today of “get him off get him off” were inexcusable when he was substituted
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:56 pm
GreenBlue wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:35 pm I appreciate that we are all disappointed but some recent performances but I feel that some of the comments above ard OTT, almost as if some have been saving up their negative comments for our first blip of the season.

Cheltenham away was always going to be tough. They have been a decent team, especially at home over the last month or so.

To those who are critising the quality of our players and/or our summer signings, I'd suggest you are being a little unfair as with them we are have been top of the league for most of the first half of the season. Those suggesting we are now about to start dropping are basing this assumption presumably on a few poor results. We can all make predictions but predictions are by no means facts.

I agree we need to have a good transfer window if the right players are available but I don't think that our current players are poor just because of a couple of poor results.
Overall I’d say we should have won today apart from 2 dreadful pieces of defending
My worry is that the fabled 2 players for every position we were told we have is starting to sound a little hollow as it’s beginning to show that take away certain players and we do not have adequate replacements for them and sorry our 2 so called “marque” players are no more than average at best
Why is Whyte considered a suitable number 10 when he has played his whole career as a winger it’s seems to many at the game today and also at Exeter that he his being played come what may
I admit I have never been a fan of his but I’ve recently heard supporters groan at the very mention of his name
However the chant’s today of “get him off get him off” were inexcusable when he was substituted
If you ignore the fact that we have played most of the season with first second left back, one of our second choice centre backs. We played a chunk of the season with one of our first choice central midfield two (Pack and Morrell injured or suspended), coped for a few games without our main striker, coped with our first choice right back out for three games, played the first half the season without our new left winger, our new right winger has lost all their form and we lost our other young number 10 for several months we kept winning and are top of the league then yes we don't have much depth the the squad...

The main problem we have now is that bother Tino and Robertson are out, but we do have Lowery coming back and it is the transfer window, and Saydee does a job in that role till we can get another body in.

Olgivie isn't far from coming back either so we will again have cover at left back.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:52 pm

If you ignore the fact that we have played most of the season with first second left back, one of our second choice centre backs. We played a chunk of the season with one of our first choice central midfield two (Pack and Morrell injured or suspended), coped for a few games without our main striker, coped with our first choice right back out for three games, played the first half the season without our new left winger, our new right winger has lost all their form and we lost our other young number 10 for several months we kept winning and are top of the league then yes we don't have much depth the the squad...

The main problem we have now is that bother Tino and Robertson are out, but we do have Lowery coming back and it is the transfer window, and Saydee does a job in that role till we can get another body in.

Olgivie isn't far from coming back either so we will again have cover at left back.
I didn't say we had played badly and that all the squad are rubbish I made the point that in certain positions we have problems I would disagree about the right back as until recently we had Swanson and Rafferty
The problem is up front and creativity in the midfield yes we lost either Pack or Morrell but Robertson was still there
Saydee unfortunately I believe is seen by Moushino as an impact player but yesterday had no time to do so as otherwise why play Whyte as a 10 when he's failed there earlier in the season
Yengi I feel is still learning and brings a different style to Bishop but not consistently
Our problem seems to stem from certain front/midfield players either failing to live up to the hype or are inexperienced at this level
I also believe Moushinos tactics have been sussed by opposition in particular our last 2 away games when our defenders were under constant pressure stopping us playing out from the back allied to the fact that Norris seems to have problems with his distribution in small tight grounds like Exeter and Cheltenham
We need to look at maybe a change for games against these lesser teams as it's not working as it is
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:31 am

I didn't say we had played badly and that all the squad are rubbish I made the point that in certain positions we have problems I would disagree about the right back as until recently we had Swanson and Rafferty
The problem is up front and creativity in the midfield yes we lost either Pack or Morrell but Robertson was still there
Saydee unfortunately I believe is seen by Moushino as an impact player but yesterday had no time to do so as otherwise why play Whyte as a 10 when he's failed there earlier in the season
Yengi I feel is still learning and brings a different style to Bishop but not consistently
Our problem seems to stem from certain front/midfield players either failing to live up to the hype or are inexperienced at this level
I also believe Moushinos tactics have been sussed by opposition in particular our last 2 away games when our defenders were under constant pressure stopping us playing out from the back allied to the fact that Norris seems to have problems with his distribution in small tight grounds like Exeter and Cheltenham
We need to look at maybe a change for games against these lesser teams as it's not working as it is
Haven't you just disproved your own point there about 'fabled two players for each position looking a bit hollow'? We look a bit thin in one or two places when one of those players is injured, and we look to have a bit of a problem when two of those players are injured. Other than the number 10 position (due to injury) this season where have we looked hollow? I believe when you look over the course of the season the squad has shown it's depth when you consider the things I have pointed out above including injury, suspension and loss of form - as all teams will have had these issues the fact we are top shoes we have coped with it better than others.

IF Tino wasn't injured Robertson being out yesterday is manageable but he is.

So the manager had to try something - and they have tried Whyte there a few times and yesterday he didn't do anything wrong at all. He put Rafferty in, he has a shot and he was neat and tidy in most of what he did. Perhaps people's expectations are too high of Whyte? Perhaps you shouldn't believe the hype that comes from The News - not the club.

Saydee can't last 90 minutes - and has been effective when coming off the bench so again, that makes sense.

Cheltenham are fairly high up the form table at the moment, only Bolton and Derby have won more in the last 5 than them - yet you refer to them as 'lesser' clubs - we have no right to just turn up and beat anyone. Yesterday was a disappointing result, and there have been a few of late, but it's not the end of the world - it doesn't suddenly make our squad poor and it doesn't suddenly mean we 'have been found out' it's not the game plan or the way we play the game that's cost us points recently, it's by and large individual errors and misses. The only real bad performance has been Fleetwood, and to a lesser extent Exeter. Bristol Rovers and Cheltenham have been bad results - we should have settled for a point at Rovers in hindsight, but imagine the flack JM would have got if he did that...

The result yesterday doesn't change what we need in this transfer window, neither does the previous disappointing results - what perhaps changes what we need in the window comes in Monday with Robertson's scan - and even that doesn't mean we can't get promoted or win the league.

The club knows what it's doing.
Rjc365618
Collins Mbesuma

Post by Rjc365618 »

We need to have a good transfer window and consolidate our position. Goals win games we should be signing someone like Clarke-Harris to freshen things up and show the owners are serious about promotion. Yes it doesn’t quite fit with our young and hungry player strategy but it might be enough to turn draws into wins and get us over the line in May
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

There are mitigating circumstances why our season has started to slump but it is the same for most clubs. All clubs go through testing periods with injuries and suspensions that affect the team. This is where a strong squad comes into its own, which is where I think we came up short in the summer. We already had one of the best center halves in League One to come in when we lost probably the best one. So that wasn't really too much disruption but failure to get an experienced striker and adequate cover for left full back is an error. I think pinning hopes on a young Premier League midfield player was a gamble, one that came off incidentally, but not getting adequate cover there is a mistake. It makes sense to bring in players who have potential but the problem with potential is that it takes time to develop. So relying on players such as Devlin and Yengi to deliver immediate results is a big ask.

I think we started the season with a strong first choice starting eleven but the squad depth has let us down a bit. We do have a chance to put that right in this window so it remains to be seen how we approach that. I hope they go for experience that will be of more immediate effect on the team, or at least a better chance of it. I think we need to change the way we play a bit so that we are not so predictable. I think we need to make better use of Bishop because I think he is struggling under the weight of how he is used. We can still achieve promotion but I do think it is back to the drawing board to make the most of what we have achieved so far. By the way, relegation is now most unlikely now that we have broke through the 50 points barrier.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Rjc365618 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:08 am We need to have a good transfer window and consolidate our position. Goals win games we should be signing someone like Clarke-Harris to freshen things up and show the owners are serious about promotion. Yes it doesn’t quite fit with our young and hungry player strategy but it might be enough to turn draws into wins and get us over the line in May
There are three teams with a better goal difference than us, and five teams who have scored more goals than us.

While I understand what your saying about Clarke-Harris at what cost do you sign him? I'm not talking transfer fee, or even wages especially more a case of is it worth upsetting the applecart? Plus it will be him or bishop not both...
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:57 am

Haven't you just disproved your own point there about 'fabled two players for each position looking a bit hollow'? We look a bit thin in one or two places when one of those players is injured, and we look to have a bit of a problem when two of those players are injured. Other than the number 10 position (due to injury) this season where have we looked hollow? I believe when you look over the course of the season the squad has shown it's depth when you consider the things I have pointed out above including injury, suspension and loss of form - as all teams will have had these issues the fact we are top shoes we have coped with it better than others.

So the manager had to try something - and they have tried Whyte there a few times and yesterday he didn't do anything wrong at all. He put Rafferty in, he has a shot and he was neat and tidy in most of what he did. Perhaps people's expectations are too high of Whyte? Perhaps you shouldn't believe the hype that comes from The News - not the club.

Saydee can't last 90 minutes - and has been effective when coming off the bench so again, that makes sense.

Cheltenham are fairly high up the form table at the moment, only Bolton and Derby have won more in the last 5 than them - yet you refer to them as 'lesser' clubs - we have no right to just turn up and beat anyone. Yesterday was a disappointing result, and there have been a few of late, but it's not the end of the world - it doesn't suddenly make our squad poor and it doesn't suddenly mean we 'have been found out' it's not the game plan or the way we play the game that's cost us points recently, it's by and large individual errors and misses. The only real bad performance has been Fleetwood, and to a lesser extent Exeter. Bristol Rovers and Cheltenham have been bad results - we should have settled for a point at Rovers in hindsight, but imagine the flack JM would have got if he did that...

The result yesterday doesn't change what we need in this transfer window, neither does the previous disappointing results - what perhaps changes what we need in the window comes in Monday with Robertson's scan - and even that doesn't mean we can't get promoted or win the league.

I sorry but isolating a pass to Rafferty as Whyte playing well is somewhat amusing throughout the game he was mostly lacking in all areas even through I generally take the snooze with a pinch of salt their rating of 4 for his performance mirrors what most at the game felt yesterday my views on him are not isolated but fairly well felt by I think majority of people watching games either at the ground or on ifollow when available which I believe it was not to most yesterday.
And I still think that we have been found out and need to occasionally change against teams who are pressing our defence when in procession not leaving it so late as yesterday to make those changes.
I'm not saying we have suddenly become crap but that something is not working at present against lesser teams personally I have since the beginning of the season felt that this squad are not an automatic promotion one but in with a good shout at achieving a play-off position which I think many of us would have taken in August
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:30 am
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:57 am

I sorry but isolating a pass to Rafferty as Whyte playing well is somewhat amusing throughout the game he was mostly lacking in all areas even through I generally take the snooze with a pinch of salt their rating of 4 for his performance mirrors what most at the game felt yesterday my views on him are not isolated but fairly well felt by I think majority of people watching games either at the ground or on ifollow when available which I believe it was not to most yesterday.
And I still think that we have been found out and need to occasionally change against teams who are pressing our defence when in procession not leaving it so late as yesterday to make those changes.
I'm not saying we have suddenly become crap but that something is not working at present against lesser teams personally I have since the beginning of the season felt that this squad are not an automatic promotion one but in with a good shout at achieving a play-off position which I think many of us would have taken in August
I didn't say Whyte played well did I? I said he did nothing wrong. He certainly didn't have a performance to be called a waste of a shirt.

We were well on top after they got their second, well on top to make a change at that time was just as likely to have disrupted the momentum we had as it was to magically conjure up a goal. What changes would you have made? You alluded to our squad not being good enough so why make any?