Leyton Orient

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: Leyton Orient

Post by New Forester »

First match for nearly three years after illness and heart surgery. Just pleased to be there. What struck me was how small some of our players are. I thought some of the mascots had stayed too long on the pitch before I realised who they were. As for the match. That’s football. Orient fully deserved the win. We got what we deserved. Can we pull it round? It won’t be for lack of effort. And fans must play their part. It’s not the time to give up on the team. Too many left too soon. Sends a poor message.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

Well done on getting back from illness. Age is a right nuisance.

In regard to your comments about the crowd, I couldn’t agree more. We’re all disappointed with the latest run of results but withdrawal of support won’t help.

I imagine confidence will be vulnerable so crowd reaction will have quite an impact.

Were there boos at the end? Unless there was a palpable lack of effort then I don’t think that’s acceptable at this stage.

Remember how fed up we got last year with too many goalless draws? I’d take a couple now.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

StMonkton wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:03 am Well done on getting back from illness. Age is a right nuisance.

In regard to your comments about the crowd, I couldn’t agree more. We’re all disappointed with the latest run of results but withdrawal of support won’t help.

I imagine confidence will be vulnerable so crowd reaction will have quite an impact.

Were there boos at the end? Unless there was a palpable lack of effort then I don’t think that’s acceptable at this stage.

Remember how fed up we got last year with too many goalless draws? I’d take a couple now.
I think it's good we have a few away games.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 386 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Rjk66 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:56 pm You people should stop dreaming about promotion, play offs is our best bet and even that’s not assured. Season is going downhill fast.
You people? I guess you mean fellow Pompey fans? I for one will never stop dreaming, that is what supporting a football club is all about.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 386 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Pompey55 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:23 pm .
ffs what would take you to criticize this team and management.

But I guess not attending games makes it easy to make a uninformed assessment
55, we are all disappointed, hurt, angry, worried by the recent performances but why must we all react the same way as you? Everyone is different, you know that, and we all react differently to thoughts and emotions. Unless there are elements of our team who are deliberately playing badly or making wrong moves or decisions, I won't be negatively critical. That doesn't mean I care any less than you do.

And the second comment above was below what I would expect from you but of course I respect your right to say it.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

We are all disappointed, this is nowhere near the quality we had come to expect. We have lost key players due to injuries, we need reinforcements and have faith in our Recruitment Team. PUP
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

StMonkton wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:03 am Were there boos at the end? Unless there was a palpable lack of effort then I don’t think that’s acceptable at this stage.
Yes there were boos at the end and understandably I think. The News player ratings show why and I think it's frustration that the way we're set up hasn't been changed when it needed to be. Physically there might not have been a lack of effort but there was mentally from a lot of players. Mous needs to change how we play as it's been sussed and was limiting in the first place with one up front. More experienced players are needed who are mentally tougher. That's not a criticism of the younger players as that's the way it goes with age.

I hope the squad can have an honest talk with each other and sort out what needs to be changed. Nobody wants the first half of the season wasted.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Oh and we are still top of the League in case anybody has forgotten.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:49 am Funny how different people see the same game differently
You obviously viewed it differently PL20, quite understandable. would love to read other's take on it?

I wonder why we don't get any BFTG reports any more? My report was from watching on iFollow but don't see how it should differ that much from an actual spectator.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

eltorrro wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:01 am
BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:49 am Funny how different people see the same game differently
You obviously viewed it differently PL20, quite understandable. would love to read other's take on it?

I wonder why we don't get any BFTG reports any more? My report was from watching on iFollow but don't see how it should differ that much from an actual spectator.
Apparently it does - so your views are null and void.
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by phat_chris »

GreenBlue wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:47 am
Pompey55 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:23 pm .
ffs what would take you to criticize this team and management.

But I guess not attending games makes it easy to make a uninformed assessment
55, we are all disappointed, hurt, angry, worried by the recent performances but why must we all react the same way as you? Everyone is different, you know that, and we all react differently to thoughts and emotions. Unless there are elements of our team who are deliberately playing badly or making wrong moves or decisions, I won't be negatively critical. That doesn't mean I care any less than you do.

And the second comment above was below what I would expect from you but of course I respect your right to say it.
Nail on the head here. Everyone reacts to adversity differently. Some take a measured approach which can seem cold and uncaring. Others let their emotions get the better of them and are prone to wildly over the top reactions which can be quite abrasive to others. At the end of the day, we all just want our club to do well and personal attacks is unbecoming.

As far as the dip in performance goes, I'm glad it has happened now, while we have an opportunity to do something about it. I have faith that those in charge of the club will have realised the problem areas and know what needs to be done to rectify the issues. I'd like to see any club cope with the loss of 2 key players, like we have had to endure. Now the club needs to dig deep to replace those players and strengthen elsewhere where we are light. CF, AM and CD absolutely must be addressed.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Well said Chris.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

phat_chris wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:37 am
As far as the dip in performance goes, I'm glad it has happened now, while we have an opportunity to do something about it. I have faith that those in charge of the club will have realised the problem areas and know what needs to be done to rectify the issues. I'd like to see any club cope with the loss of 2 key players, like we have had to endure. Now the club needs to dig deep to replace those players and strengthen elsewhere where we are light. CF, AM and CD absolutely must be addressed.
I agree with that but I'd also suggest a right back as Swanson has just had a other operation, and I'd not be adverse to seeing another right winger.
meakinsl
Milan Mandaric
Been liked: 6 times

Post by meakinsl »

I vaguely remember Leyton orient beating us years ago - maybe a cup game that seemed a bit of a low and a turning point or maybe it’s just old age but anyway let’s hope that is some sort of turning point and incentive to get some players in and push on - as others have said the signings will say a lot about the owners ambition right now as surely never been a better time to go for it
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

meakinsl wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:25 am I vaguely remember Leyton orient beating us years ago - maybe a cup game that seemed a bit of a low and a turning point or maybe it’s just old age but anyway let’s hope that is some sort of turning point and incentive to get some players in and push on - as others have said the signings will say a lot about the owners ambition right now as surely never been a better time to go for it
They beat us in FA Cup I think it was 4-1.