Where Colby?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Where Colby?

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Does anyone know where the real Colby Bishop has gone? He's not been right since before his injury...
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: Where Colby?

Post by eltorrro »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:10 pm Does anyone know where the real Colby Bishop has gone? He's not been right since before his injury...
Totally agree with you; he's really lost his way. Everything is wrong with him; he's not winning headers, not controlling the ball and holding it, took a very poor penalty today as well. I know he puts a lot in and runs everywhere but there doesn't seem to be an end product. He gets manhandled a lot but it seems to me he doesn't attempt to lose his marker..maybe he should be moving away from that central position which would possibly drag a centre half away as well. Think perhaps a rest would be good for him and maybe play Saydee up front for a while?
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 224 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

He gets very little protection from Referees, I wonder whether that is affecting him
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:48 pm He gets very little protection from Referees, I wonder whether that is affecting him
I'd been saying for a few weeks prior to his injury that I felt he has started playing the referee rather than the opposition and I do think this is still the case to a degree.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:53 pm
BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:48 pm He gets very little protection from Referees, I wonder whether that is affecting him
I'd been saying for a few weeks prior to his injury that I felt he has started playing the referee rather than the opposition and I do think this is still the case to a degree.
100% agree, was saying the same to my sons on Saturday. His petulant outburst hasn't helped his case either, in fact, it has made him look a bit of a prat!
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I think he gives as good as he gets. He is an experienced centre forward and a wily one at that. Very often when he is being 'man handled' he is actually pulling his marker on to him. Having said that he still does take a buffeting but it does give referees a difficult time to judge whether he is the aggressor or being agressed.

I do detect a little bit of resignation from him though where he seems to have given up running the channels in the same way. I think his confidence has ebbed which resulted in his moan about social media just recently. I think a confident Bishop would have just shrugged off the criticism. In my view people who summon the courage to post such stuff on these media sites are just pin heads. Conversely people that react about it just adds fuel to their chosen hobby. If it bothers anyone about being called names by imbeciles it's probably best not going on those sites.
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

Blue Walter wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:22 pm

I do detect a little bit of resignation from him though where he seems to have given up running the channels in the same way. I think his confidence has ebbed which resulted in his moan about social media just recently. I think a confident Bishop would have just shrugged off the criticism. In my view people who summon the courage to post such stuff on these media sites are just pin heads. Conversely people that react about it just adds fuel to their chosen hobby. If it bothers anyone about being called names by imbeciles it's probably best not going on those sites.
I agree BW. Is someone passing it on to him perhaps?
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Blue Walter »

StMonkton wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:01 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:22 pm

You could well be right, I hadn't really thought of that scenario. In any event he really shouldn't take too much notice of it because those people posting are pin heads with nowhere near the ability Bishop has.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Does he now want to leave and get a Championship club? His body language is all wrong at the moment. (I'm not saying I want him to leave, but wonder if he's fed up with being at Pompey?)
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

PakefieldBlue wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:16 pm Does he now want to leave and get a Championship club? His body language is all wrong at the moment. (I'm not saying I want him to leave, but wonder if he's fed up with being at Pompey?)
Would a championship club want him?
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

StMonkton wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:01 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:22 pm I do detect a little bit of resignation from him though where he seems to have given up running the channels in the same way. I think his confidence has ebbed which resulted in his moan about social media just recently. I think a confident Bishop would have just shrugged off the criticism. In my view people who summon the courage to post such stuff on these media sites are just pin heads. Conversely people that react about it just adds fuel to their chosen hobby. If it bothers anyone about being called names by imbeciles it's probably best not going on those sites.
When he was interviewed by Andrew Moon after he capped his ears, Andrew asked Colby if he had seen criticism about him on social media. He said he doesn't go on social media at all, but that other Pompey players had pointed it out to him.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Mickemo »

He is experienced enough to know that the vast majority of the Pompey fans back him and to ignore the online keyboard warriors.

I for one am a bit miffed by his reaction as the majority of the fans didn’t deserve that and whilst I don’t want him to leave, no player is bigger than the club.

Rashford did a similar thing at Old Trafford when he (finally came out of his petulant sulk) and scored against Spuds - a prime example of how not to win friends.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

My favourite book. How to lose friends and alienate people 🤣.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix