Sparkes should we keep playing him?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Re: Sparkes should we keep playing him?

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:24 pm
Mickemo wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:42 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:46 pm
Mickemo wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:22 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:23 pm
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:49 pm The big elephant in the room here is, do we really play with defensive full backs? Personally I'd say not, JM wants them to push on past the wingers.
If that is the case maybe they should do more defending.
At what cost - do you think we will create more or less opportunities for our front 3 that way?

I think the balance between Full Backs defending and attacking has been about right this season.

I agree individual errors have cost us a number of goals this season but they aren’t limited to Left Back are they!
I haven't put the blame squarely on the left back position have I?What I have said is that position is currently our weakest link. I disagree that the balance has been right either, perhaps from the right side it has because Rafferty is a good full back at this level. If Sparkes is seen as a chance creating player, where he has created the most 'assists' by any Pompey player so far this season, then play him in a position where he excels. Whether or not you see him as a good defender or not is the question and I happen to think he isn't. I think he is great going forward but we also need defensive stability. I agree that goals against us have come from a mixture of indidual mistakes and not entirely down to one player, which is what I have said. Because I happen to have said that I think Sparkes is our weakest defensive player some people choose to say that I am blaming him entirely, which I haven't.
I don’t disagree with him being our weakest link defensively but the errors have happened right across the defence.

You have an unusual way of expressing that you don’t blame him entirely - the title of this thread is telling don’t you think.

I maintain my view that the full back balance between defence and attack - if anything we’ve been a little too risk averse for my liking at FP in recent games ( I get why that is though)

Now a question for you, who would YOU have played instead of Sparkes at LB noting Ogilvie has been out injured for most of the season and also acknowledging that Hume like Sparkes is better when attacking??
We have had Hume on the books who is a full back but obviously not being considered so that means Sparkes is the only option. I think an option would have been is play to our strengths, such as it is, which is playing a different way to use Sparkes best attribute. We have become predictable with a weakness in that left side area which teams have exploited so a change of system may well achieve two things. Playing wing backs would certainly give the opposition something new to discover about out team but also utilising Sparkes best asset. Releasing him from defence, to a degree, and using his services from his excellent crossing ability may be a way out until Ogilvie is fit enough to return. If its successful maybe Ogilvie will be the one kicking his heels.

I don't know why you keep reminding me that Sparkes is not the only one to have made mistakes because this is something I have acknowledged myself, plenty of times. Also I don't think I have a 'strange way of expressing myself" on my views at all. I have never said it has all been down to one player and I never titled the thread. The thread author asked the question and I have answered with my view. Other posters on here will read my posts and decipher them in the way that suits them. This is a debating platform so disagreement is inevitable but misrepresentation of views is not good for a civilised exchange of views. I am fully aware that people will disagree with me, especially when I have the audacity to disagree with the general stream of views, but good healthy disagreement is better than just nodding your head.
So you think we should change the entire way we play? If you bring in a centre half, Sparkes and Rafferty you have 5 defenders on the pitch and the manager would be villifield. He gets accused of not being attacking enough in what is effectively 2 4 1 3 when we are attacking.

It would also mean dropping Lane/Kamara or both? Or you play with a winger or two at wing backs and then you will really see poor defending!

You see it happening when Sparkes gets forward that Rafferty holds back a bit and tucks in a bit and you see it in reverse when Rafferty goes forward. We have tried three at the back a handful of times this season and it's achieved very little.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

The manager would be vilified? The manager will be vilified if nothing is done to arrest this slide. You have obviously got your own agenda but if you read my post I suggested Sparkes being relieved of his defensive duties to concentrate on something he does well, support the attack. Doing nothing and carry on losing by playing the same way will bring vilification. We don't have enough quality in the squad to carry on the way we are. I was suggesting a system that incorporates the talent we do have available until we have a fully fit and reinforced playing squad. I was thinking more of a 4 man back line with 4 in midfield with Sparkes operating down the left and Rafferty down the right in much the same way as he does now because he has the ability to do that.

You might think Mousinho can do no wrong and everything the club does is untouchable. I personally think that Mousinho is learning, and making mistakes as he goes along, as well as showing huge potential in his new role. I think the club is well run but is a bit died in the wool in their approach and I would like them to grasp the chance we have of promotion this season, not some time in the future. You may think Sparkes is a wonderful full back whereas I don't, although I do credit him with other attributes.

You may think you are right in everything you say, whereas I think you are not, like me you get things wrong. You are not able to bring yourself to criticise our club but demonise anyone else who sees things differently. I will leave you to it so you can sit at the top of the table with your little agreeing gang.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:55 pm The manager would be vilified? The manager will be vilified if nothing is done to arrest this slide. You have obviously got your own agenda but if you read my post I suggested Sparkes being relieved of his defensive duties to concentrate on something he does well, support the attack. Doing nothing and carry on losing by playing the same way will bring vilification. We don't have enough quality in the squad to carry on the way we are. I was suggesting a system that incorporates the talent we do have available until we have a fully fit and reinforced playing squad. I was thinking more of a 4 man back line with 4 in midfield with Sparkes operating down the left and Rafferty down the right in much the same way as he does now because he has the ability to do that.

You might think Mousinho can do no wrong and everything the club does is untouchable. I personally think that Mousinho is learning, and making mistakes as he goes along, as well as showing huge potential in his new role. I think the club is well run but is a bit died in the wool in their approach and I would like them to grasp the chance we have of promotion this season, not some time in the future. You may think Sparkes is a wonderful full back whereas I don't, although I do credit him with other attributes.

You may think you are right in everything you say, whereas I think you are not, like me you get things wrong. You are not able to bring yourself to criticise our club but demonise anyone else who sees things differently. I will leave you can sit at the top of the table with your little agreeing gang.
Of course the club can do wrong, they have done plenty wrong in the past. At the moment I don't think the club are doing much, if anything wrong. So no, I don't have much to criticise the club for, and I not need to invent reasons.

I've said the results and performances aren't good enough of late because they aren't but they aren't disastrous either. We need a freshen up, and I trust the club are working on that. I don't expect them to throw loads of money around - they are more methodical. Methodical doesn't mean 'cheap'. The club, has been very clear, and open about what it's trying to do, and what business it is trying to do this window. They are also explaining where they are with this window. You just have to want to hear it - we would all like players in on January the first but that just isn't how the January transfer window works.

At no point have I said that Sparkes is a brilliant left back, Ogilvie is the best left back at the club. As I've said many times Sparkes is a more than adequate back up left back, and his performances in the side have shown as much - he was a main stay in our best run of form of the season. He's played minutes in every game, he was coming on a little further forward when we were trying to win games earlier in the season when our forn was mediocre.

If you play four at the back where do you then play Sparkes? And who do you play at left back? You complain that Sparkes isnt a very good fullback, yet then advocate playing him out of position? Dropping Lane? I just don't get what your suggesting! Like everyone I get plenty wrong, although I'm not sure what is right or wrong about this conversation - I'm genuinely discombobulated by your views on Sparkes and how you can lay so much blame for the current poor run of form so firmly in his shoulders.

For some perspective, last season Ipswich had one win in 8 games at one spell mid season. Look at them now.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:36 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:55 pm The manager would be vilified? The manager will be vilified if nothing is done to arrest this slide. You have obviously got your own agenda but if you read my post I suggested Sparkes being relieved of his defensive duties to concentrate on something he does well, support the attack. Doing nothing and carry on losing by playing the same way will bring vilification. We don't have enough quality in the squad to carry on the way we are. I was suggesting a system that incorporates the talent we do have available until we have a fully fit and reinforced playing squad. I was thinking more of a 4 man back line with 4 in midfield with Sparkes operating down the left and Rafferty down the right in much the same way as he does now because he has the ability to do that.

You may think you are right in everything you say, whereas I think you are not, like me you get things wrong. You are not able to bring yourself to criticise our club but demonise anyone else who sees things differently. I will leave you can sit at the top of the table with your little agreeing gang.
Of course the club can do wrong, they have done plenty wrong in the past. At the moment I don't think the club are doing much, if anything wrong. So no, I don't have much to criticise the club for, and I not need to invent reasons.

I've said the results and performances aren't good enough of late because they aren't but they aren't disastrous either. We need a freshen up, and I trust the club are working on that. I don't expect them to throw loads of money around - they are more methodical. Methodical doesn't mean 'cheap'. The club, has been very clear, and open about what it's trying to do, and what business it is trying to do this window. They are also explaining where they are with this window. You just have to want to hear it - we would all like players in on January the first but that just isn't how the January transfer window works.

At no point have I said that Sparkes is a brilliant left back, Ogilvie is the best left back at the club. As I've said many times Sparkes is a more than adequate back up left back, and his performances in the side have shown as much - he was a main stay in our best run of form of the season. He's played minutes in every game, he was coming on a little further forward when we were trying to win games earlier in the season when our forn was mediocre.

If you play four at the back where do you then play Sparkes? And who do you play at left back? You complain that Sparkes isnt a very good fullback, yet then advocate playing him out of position? Dropping Lane? I just don't get what your suggesting! Like everyone I get plenty wrong, although I'm not sure what is right or wrong about this conversation - I'm genuinely discombobulated by your views on Sparkes and how you can lay so much blame for the current poor run of form so firmly in his shoulders.

For some perspective, last season Ipswich had one win in 8 games at one spell mid season. Look at them now.
That's the point. I don't put the blame on his shoulders and I have repeatedly said that. That is your interpretation of what I have said. I answered the original thread with my opinion by giving my opinion on the player named at the head of the thread, the name in question. I happen to think, along with many others, that as a full back in the defensive area he is the weakest link of that section. You immediately, for some reason, jump on that as me blaming him solely for the slump we are in. You have gone on to say who I think should be dropped to make way for Sparkes in midfield. I never mentioned dropping Lane yet you have just said I am suggesting that. Get your own house in order before you criticise what I think. And yes there is plenty wrong with our team at the moment, we are losing games and losing ground. Perpetually congratulating Mousinho for everything instead of actually seeing, and accepting, that there is something that has gone wrong with the team is absurd. Your so called 'discombobulated' view of my views concerning Sparkes is caused by your own perception of what I have actually said.

This is not a friendly debating site any more and has become a gallery for the thoughts of one two people who come across as quite arrogant. Even when there is general agreement you will find something to ridicule and misrepresent what has been said. Frankly you are welcome to it.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Blue Walter wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:29 pm

That's the point. I don't put the blame on his shoulders and I have repeatedly said that. That is your interpretation of what I have said. I answered the original thread with my opinion by giving my opinion on the player named at the head of the thread, the name in question. I happen to think, along with many others, that as a full back in the defensive area he is the weakest link of that section. You immediately, for some reason, jump on that as me blaming him solely for the slump we are in. You have gone on to say who I think should be dropped to make way for Sparkes in midfield. I never mentioned dropping Lane yet you have just said I am suggesting that. Get your own house in order before you criticise what I think. And yes there is plenty wrong with our team at the moment, we are losing games and losing ground. Perpetually congratulating Mousinho for everything instead of actually seeing, and accepting, that there is something that has gone wrong with the team is absurd. Your so called 'discombobulated' view of my views concerning Sparkes is caused by your own perception of what I have actually said.

This is not a friendly debating site any more and has become a gallery for the thoughts of one two people who come across as quite arrogant. Even when there is general agreement you will find something to ridicule and misrepresent what has been said. Frankly you are welcome to it.
Does that mean Denver Hulme at left back then?
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:49 pm The big elephant in the room here is, do we really play with defensive full backs? Personally I'd say not, JM wants them to push on past the wingers.
At what cost - do you think we will create more or less opportunities for our front 3 that way?

I think the balance between Full Backs defending and attacking has been about right this season.

I agree individual errors have cost us a number of goals this season but they aren’t limited to Left Back are they!
I haven't put the blame squarely on the left back position have I?What I have said is that position is currently our weakest link. I disagree that the balance has been right either, perhaps from the right side it has because Rafferty is a good full back at this level. If Sparkes is seen as a chance creating player, where he has created the most 'assists' by any Pompey player so far this season, then play him in a position where he excels. Whether or not you see him as a good defender or not is the question and I happen to think he isn't. I think he is great going forward but we also need defensive stability. I agree that goals against us have come from a mixture of indidual mistakes and not entirely down to one player, which is what I have said. Because I happen to have said that I think Sparkes is our weakest defensive player some people choose to say that I am blaming him entirely, which I haven't.
I don’t disagree with him being our weakest link defensively but the errors have happened right across the defence.

You have an unusual way of expressing that you don’t blame him entirely - the title of this thread is telling don’t you think.

I maintain my view that the full back balance between defence and attack - if anything we’ve been a little too risk averse for my liking at FP in recent games ( I get why that is though)

Now a question for you, who would YOU have played instead of Sparkes at LB noting Ogilvie has been out injured for most of the season and also acknowledging that Hume like Sparkes is better when attacking??
We have had Hume on the books who is a full back but obviously not being considered so that means Sparkes is the only option. I think an option would have been is play to our strengths, such as it is, which is playing a different way to use Sparkes best attribute. We have become predictable with a weakness in that left side area which teams have exploited so a change of system may well achieve two things. Playing wing backs would certainly give the opposition something new to discover about out team but also utilising Sparkes best asset. Releasing him from defence, to a degree, and using his services from his excellent crossing ability may be a way out until Ogilvie is fit enough to return. If its successful maybe Ogilvie will be the one kicking his heels.

I don't know why you keep reminding me that Sparkes is not the only one to have made mistakes because this is something I have acknowledged myself, plenty of times. Also I don't think I have a 'strange way of expressing myself" on my views at all. I have never said it has all been down to one player and I never titled the thread. The thread author asked the question and I have answered with my view. Other posters on here will read my posts and decipher them in the way that suits them. This is a debating platform so disagreement is inevitable but misrepresentation of views is not good for a civilised exchange of views. I am fully aware that people will disagree with me, especially when I have the audacity to disagree with the general stream of views, but good healthy disagreement is better than just nodding your head.
I like healthy debate same as you, I don’t think either of us has been disrespectful towards each other - we are both positively defending our positions and that is fine by me.

Also I apologise as I thought you has started this thread so my bad there as you didn’t.

Keep posting BW it’s important that we get a variety of views on this forum even if we don’t all agree - that’s the beauty of Football👍
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Thank you for taking the time to apologise for your mistake, which I duly accept. I hadn't actually intended to post anymore on this board and I had deleted it from my home page on my phone. However, as you had the decency to say what you have I thought it to be right to respond.

To be quite honest I have been getting a bit bored with this board due to having to defend myself for my post being continually misrepresented in what I have actually said. So much so that threads are being dragged out way too long by having to deny my misrepresented views, often exaggerated out of context. There are one or two posters that come across as quite arrogant that seem to dominate the board and have taken away any enjoyment in discussing all things Pompey with exaggerated and misrepresentation of my, and others, posts. I know people will disagree with me, which is fine, but I am not disrespectful to people on here and I expect to see that reciprocated. The idea of a debating forum is an exchange of views and not a platform for others to ridicule or disect. I am not upset in any way as I have had plenty of experience on debating boards, generally political, and the same sort of characters are generally on all of them. I am just bored with the way threads get debated now.

Any way I am going on a bit here so I hope for the best outcome this season which, oddly most people posting on here want anyway. That last sentence might even be interpreted by some as me hoping Pompey fail and Saints get promoted.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Mickemo wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:55 pm

I like healthy debate same as you, I don’t think either of us has been disrespectful towards each other - we are both positively defending our positions and that is fine by me.

Also I apologise as I thought you has started this thread so my bad there as you didn’t.

Keep posting BW it’s important that we get a variety of views on this forum even if we don’t all agree - that’s the beauty of Football👍
I started this thread which has got a bit prolonged I don’t apologise for starting it though. I believed that something had to be said about the defensive situation. So wanted to have a debate regarding this subject.After all this what this web site is all about. I concur with BW comments we all have the same objective to see our team do well. I will apologize to BW if this posting has caused him a lot of angst
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

That's the point. I don't put the blame on his shoulders and I have repeatedly said that. That is your interpretation of what I have said. I answered the original thread with my opinion by giving my opinion on the player named at the head of the thread, the name in question. I happen to think, along with many others, that as a full back in the defensive area he is the weakest link of that section.

I have to diasgree with you Walter, you are saying you dont put the blame on his shoulders, but the only change you are advocating is taking sparkes out of the equation, how is that not putting the blame on him? i dont blame him but he is the weak link, that is blaming Walter
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:46 am

That's the point. I don't put the blame on his shoulders and I have repeatedly said that. That is your interpretation of what I have said. I answered the original thread with my opinion by giving my opinion on the player named at the head of the thread, the name in question. I happen to think, along with many others, that as a full back in the defensive area he is the weakest link of that section.

I have to diasgree with you Walter, you are saying you dont put the blame on his shoulders, but the only change you are advocating is taking sparkes out of the equation, how is that not putting the blame on him? i dont blame him but he is the weak link, that is blaming Walter

I really wasn't going to reply to this, or any others, but this post by you is just typical of the misrepresentation of what I have said to suit your own argument.

Logically speaking if you have a weak link in anything, or even a weakest link in a weak system, you start at the weakest point to try and fix the problem. Most people see Sparkes as a weak link in the defensive sector of our team, you maybe don't, but that is my view. The manager obviously doesn't trust the only other option at left full back, which is Hume. Therefore I have suggested, rightly or wrongly, that a change of formation as a way of easing a weakness. You clearly do not read my posts or you just look for a way of making a ridiculing reply. I have repeatedly said that I believe Sparkes is a good player going forward and adds value to the team all the time the team is doing well. However, when things are not going well and we have to rely on his defensive qualities he is unreliable, in fact he can be a liability at times. He came to us with exactly that endorsement from supporters of Exeter, where he couldn't get into a League Two team as an operating full back. My suggestion was that I think the best use of his skill set is that he was played in a position where he was not relied on for his defensive duties so much but made best use of his excellent forward qualities. That is the succinct description of a wing back. That would obviously change the way we play but the way we do play is now very predictable with a weak link on the left hand side of our defence as it is. Changing formation would make us less predictable as well, but not changing anything could well see us fail this season. Our team is not good enough and the squad hasn't got the strength in depth to play in a predictable way and still be successful in my view. I haven't said that all our defensive ill are down to Sparkes. I have said that maybe Sparkes vulnerability could be having a destabilising effect on his defensive colleagues but that does not excuse their own failings. This view may well differ to yours, which is fine, but that is mine and what I have said. By all means disagree but disagree with things I have said not what you envisage. Show some respect to posters that happen to disagree with you because the bottom line is that we all want the same thing, promotion and success for our great football club.

If there was a player that you thought was not up to standard would you not say anything? If you thought a player should be dropped because he was letting the team down would you not say so? If the answer is yes to both those questions is that 'signaling a player out'? Or is that not the way of the world in just about all facets of life where we all find our levels which are dictated by our individual talents? If you haven't got what it takes in any profession your employer will eventually find someone who has.

Any way thats it from me. Now go and misinterpret my blurb, exagerate what I have said and come back with an infantile retort. I won't answer it though.
Fratton Fortress
Alan Biley
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Fratton Fortress »

Not really wanting to stir this pot too much !!

I watched Sparkes during a few of the Orient attacks last weekend, and whilst he did not seem too inspiring in his defensive duties, I felt he was a bit exposed by his colleagues, who were not picking up the other attackers around him.

So Sparkes was looking a poor defender, based on his defensive & midfield colleagues not doing their jobs either. (which to be fair was happening all over the pitch )

I didn't see things as so black & white as maybe one or two opinions suggested, but hey, as someone said, that is the beauty of football.

take care and keep well, FF
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Could be academic as snooze reporting that Ogilvie is fit and in contention if not starting tomorrow next week is probable
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

Blue Walter wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:02 am
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:46 am

I really wasn't going to reply to this, or any others, but this post by you is just typical of the misrepresentation of what I have said to suit your own argument.

Logically speaking if you have a weak link in anything, or even a weakest link in a weak system, you start at the weakest point to try and fix the problem. Most people see Sparkes as a weak link in the defensive sector of our team, you maybe don't, but that is my view. The manager obviously doesn't trust the only other option at left full back, which is Hume. Therefore I have suggested, rightly or wrongly, that a change of formation as a way of easing a weakness. You clearly do not read my posts or you just look for a way of making a ridiculing reply. I have repeatedly said that I believe Sparkes is a good player going forward and adds value to the team all the time the team is doing well. However, when things are not going well and we have to rely on his defensive qualities he is unreliable, in fact he can be a liability at times. He came to us with exactly that endorsement from supporters of Exeter, where he couldn't get into a League Two team as an operating full back. My suggestion was that I think the best use of his skill set is that he was played in a position where he was not relied on for his defensive duties so much but made best use of his excellent forward qualities. That is the succinct description of a wing back. That would obviously change the way we play but the way we do play is now very predictable with a weak link on the left hand side of our defence as it is. Changing formation would make us less predictable as well, but not changing anything could well see us fail this season. Our team is not good enough and the squad hasn't got the strength in depth to play in a predictable way and still be successful in my view. I haven't said that all our defensive ill are down to Sparkes. I have said that maybe Sparkes vulnerability could be having a destabilising effect on his defensive colleagues but that does not excuse their own failings. This view may well differ to yours, which is fine, but that is mine and what I have said. By all means disagree but disagree with things I have said not what you envisage. Show some respect to posters that happen to disagree with you because the bottom line is that we all want the same thing, promotion and success for our great football club.

If there was a player that you thought was not up to standard would you not say anything? If you thought a player should be dropped because he was letting the team down would you not say so? If the answer is yes to both those questions is that 'signaling a player out'? Or is that not the way of the world in just about all facets of life where we all find our levels which are dictated by our individual talents? If you haven't got what it takes in any profession your employer will eventually find someone who has.

Any way thats it from me. Now go and misinterpret my blurb, exagerate what I have said and come back with an infantile retort. I won't answer it though.
I am sorry if you think I am mis interpreting what you are saying Walter, but no matter how much you spin this you can not say you arent blaming him.
everything you have written suggests you think that Sparkes is not good enough, that he is the weak link, if he is the weak link in the defence that is shipping goals then I interpret that as you blaming him? how else do i take that? I am at a loss i am afraid walter.
As for exaggerating what you have said, where ?? you said he isnt good enough and the weak link? how have I exaggerated that?
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

and for the record, and I have said this already, no i dont think that Sparkes is the greatest defender, but I dont think he is the Donkey he is being made out to be. he was present and playing when we were winning games, as soon as we lose a couple its all his fault as he is the weak link
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Fratton Fortress wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:18 am Not really wanting to stir this pot too much !!

I watched Sparkes during a few of the Orient attacks last weekend, and whilst he did not seem too inspiring in his defensive duties, I felt he was a bit exposed by his colleagues, who were not picking up the other attackers around him.

So Sparkes was looking a poor defender, based on his defensive & midfield colleagues not doing their jobs either. (which to be fair was happening all over the pitch )

I didn't see things as so black & white as maybe one or two opinions suggested, but hey, as someone said, that is the beauty of football.

take care and keep well, FF

I agree, for the goal he gets a bit caught in no mans land. When the guy who scores first receivers the ball in midfield Sparkes comes inside and doesn't win the ball or take the man.

He then tracks his man most of the way before pulling out towards the ball. You can see he realises he loses his man, but he gets sucked in to the space. He then can't recover. Yes it's more defending, but is it Morrell who just sort of stopped?

That whole passage of play was untidy and disorganised, which is not something you can say about the defensive unit most of the season.