Fleetwood

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Re: Fleetwood

Post by NSRailings »

Pompey55 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:39 am Would they turn down promotion this season no would they be particularly worried if we don't again no
It would be interesting to see how many season tickets we sold for next season if we didn't go up. I got the impression that this season was the last chance before patience runs out for some supporters. That would explain the boo's after the Leyton Orient game. Got to hope that yesterday kick starts another good run.

I think Bishop needs a partner up front to relieve his work load. He's the focal point for our attack and therefore referees as it turns out.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Some good replies, and I actually agree with much of what has been said. I totally agree that we shouldn't be chucking money at getting promoted, and totally agree that the club's progression has to be sustainable. But that's my point, Fratton Park, even after £12 million has been spent on it (I might even say wasted), does not imho provide the platform for a sustainable Championship side.

If we were to get promoted, how much would NEED to be spent to create a side staying in that division, never mind competing in the top half? Where's that going to come from? A bit more TV money and 21,000 bums on seats certainly isn't going to provide it, and how soon would those numbers fall if we were cannon fodder next season?

I'm not saying we won't be promoted, but I just don't see how it suits Tornante's game plan to push for it, so I don't believe they will. Hope I'm wrong, but the way I see it we now have a Catch22 situation. Further development of Fratton Park is not going to happen without significant investment, but the club can't be sustainable at the next level without it, so League One is our level for the foreseeable future.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:25 pm Some good replies, and I actually agree with much of what has been said. I totally agree that we shouldn't be chucking money at getting promoted, and totally agree that the club's progression has to be sustainable. But that's my point, Fratton Park, even after £12 million has been spent on it (I might even say wasted), does not imho provide the platform for a sustainable Championship side.

If we were to get promoted, how much would NEED to be spent to create a side staying in that division, never mind competing in the top half? Where's that going to come from? A bit more TV money and 21,000 bums on seats certainly isn't going to provide it, and how soon would those numbers fall if we were cannon fodder next season?

I'm not saying we won't be promoted, but I just don't see how it suits Tornante's game plan to push for it, so I don't believe they will. Hope I'm wrong, but the way I see it we now have a Catch22 situation. Further development of Fratton Park is not going to happen without significant investment, but the club can't be sustainable at the next level without it, so League One is our level for the foreseeable future.
Is sustainability possible at any level? We are losing significant sums of money at this level.

Have the owners ever said it needs to be sustainable? My interpretation is that they are prepared to underwrite losses to a sensible level.

I dont think you have to break the bank to stay in the championship, Rotherham last season, Plymouth. Preston don't seem to spend a fortune. Luton too.

The problem will be if we get promoted and stay up and consolidating isn't enough.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:52 pm
No Shot Sherlock wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:25 pm Some good replies, and I actually agree with much of what has been said. I totally agree that we shouldn't be chucking money at getting promoted, and totally agree that the club's progression has to be sustainable. But that's my point, Fratton Park, even after £12 million has been spent on it (I might even say wasted), does not imho provide the platform for a sustainable Championship side.

The problem will be if we get promoted and stay up and consolidating isn't enough.
But why is consolidating not enough? In my life time the majority of our season's have been in the equivalent of the championship particularly in the 60/70/80/90 decades many of us understand that with our capacity at present much more is actually unrealistic without incurring excessive debt
And regarding the question of dropping season ticket numbers I believe we are one of the few clubs outside of the Premiership with a waiting list (£45 to join) so I'd imagine the 15000 will continue for a while
Interestingly Scum and Brighton don't have a waiting list despite their higher league status
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Pompey55 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:52 pm Interestingly Scum and Brighton don't have a waiting list despite their higher league status
Significantly greater ground capacities
Last edited by No Shot Sherlock on Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:52 pm

Is sustainability possible at any level? We are losing significant sums of money at this level.

Have the owners ever said it needs to be sustainable? My interpretation is that they are prepared to underwrite losses to a sensible level.

I dont think you have to break the bank to stay in the championship, Rotherham last season, Plymouth. Preston don't seem to spend a fortune. Luton too.

I know I'm getting old, but I'm pretty sure they said from the get go that their objective was to put the club on a sustainable footing and that progress had to be on that basis.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

NSRailings wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:22 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:39 am Would they turn down promotion this season no would they be particularly worried if we don't again no
It would be interesting to see how many season tickets we sold for next season if we didn't go up. I got the impression that this season was the last chance before patience runs out for some supporters.
This is Pompey. We all know there will be other fans waiting to purchase them.