Owen Moxon - Pompey transfer target

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Owen Moxon - Pompey transfer target

Post by Jack_Tinn »

It is being reported by the News that Pompey are bidding for midfielder Owen Moxon.

Moxon has just turned 26yo and his contract at Carlisle expires in the summer and he has turned down a new contract there. Peterborough and Blackpool are reported to be keen admirers of his play. He was Carlisle player of the season last year as they won promotion and also was in the L2 Team of the Year last year too.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/foot ... ol-4495544

more of a force in midfield than a goal scorer but his dynamic play does result in some goals. Four goals and four assists this season.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/owen- ... rthur-read

Looks like a target in the summer on a free if nothing else but testing Carlisle's resolve now with a bid with the transfer window ticking down. Smart move by Pompey
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Re: Owen Moxon - Pompey transfer target

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

The News seen to suggest this might be less lightly now.
Claygate
Alan Knight
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Claygate »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:50 pm The News seen to suggest this might be less lightly now.
May not be a bad thing. This was posted by a Carlilse fan on another Pompey forum:

"Carlisle fan here.

Looks very likely that he’s going to be joining you lot. As good as he was last season, he has really struggled this season. Not putting it down to uncertainty over contracts, he has just struggled with the increase in quality in League 1.Big lad, technically looks the part but has very little pace. Set pieces have been garbage this season to the point he’s been taken off them. If I used a recent match with Oxford as an example, he was up against McGuane and Brannagan and there was literally Galaxy’s in difference between them and him.

Genuinely no sour grapes, as a Carlisle lad I hope he does well for you but I will put a lot of money on him being sent out on loan next season if/when you get promoted because he isn’t Championship level in a million years unfortunately."
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Claygate wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:40 pm
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:50 pm The News seen to suggest this might be less lightly now.
May not be a bad thing. This was posted by a Carlilse fan on another Pompey forum:

"Carlisle fan here.

Looks very likely that he’s going to be joining you lot. As good as he was last season, he has really struggled this season. Not putting it down to uncertainty over contracts, he has just struggled with the increase in quality in League 1.Big lad, technically looks the part but has very little pace. Set pieces have been garbage this season to the point he’s been taken off them. If I used a recent match with Oxford as an example, he was up against McGuane and Brannagan and there was literally Galaxy’s in difference between them and him.

Genuinely no sour grapes, as a Carlisle lad I hope he does well for you but I will put a lot of money on him being sent out on loan next season if/when you get promoted because he isn’t Championship level in a million years unfortunately."
The bottom line is if Carlisle want to gain financially and get some return on their investment they should let him go for a reasonable fee rather than get big fat zero at the end of the season.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Interesting viewpoint from a Carlisle fan. Personally, if Peterborough and Blackpool are interested then imho he won't be a bad player - since I feel those two teams in particular recruit well at this level
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:24 pm Interesting viewpoint from a Carlisle fan. Personally, if Peterborough and Blackpool are interested then imho he won't be a bad player - since I feel those two teams in particular recruit well at this level
IMO Hughes is no mug if he targets a player you can be sure he’s on the right track. Of course there are risks with any signing
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

There is a lot of controversy regarding this young fellow who was linked with Blackpool. As you have seen some Carlisle fans have a very negative view of him. So I thought this posting from a Blackpool forum may give us some encouragement?
This was taken from a post in early January, made by @AmericanTangerine so the stats might have changed since:

"Think it's very easy to look at their position and scoff at the potential of signing him, but the stats suggest he has been one of the best players in League 1 this season.

His performance so far by the numbers compared to other League 1 midfielders (per FotMob):

-91st percentile in chances created.
-96th percentile in successful crosses.
-97th percentile in successful dribbles.
-100th percentile in tackles won.
-100th percentile in duels won.
-98th percentile in aerial duels won.
-81st percentile in interceptions.
-92nd percentile in shot accuracy.

I will be fair and include the less desirable stats too..

-1st percentile in dispossessions.
-1st percentile in dribbled past.
-27th percentile in pass accuracy.
-53rd percentile in long ball accuracy.

WhoseScored Average Match Rating= 7.03 (35 out of 359 League 1 players, 97th percentile)
-The only players we have who are rated higher are Jordan Rhodes at 7.28, James Husband at 7.08 (Karamoko Dembele is at 6.95).

FotMob Average Match Rating= 7.36 (18 out of 359 League 1 players, 98th percentile)
-We do not have any players rated higher than that and the closest ones are James Husband at 7.32, Jordan Rhodes at 7.28, and Karamoko Dembele at 7.24."
-- Diane Johnson
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Percentile...wtf??
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

Basically divides a group into100 parts. If you are in the 98th percentile it means you are in the top 2%.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

thanks Jam Tomoz for the stats. That explains some of the attraction for Pompey. Naturally, Pompey are not going to say exactly why they wanted to sign a player but those collective high percentiles gives a clear indication to me as to perhaps what they want to add to their midfield.

I know that one or two Carlisle fans have been critical of him this season but he was their player of the season last year and made the L2 team of the year. Peterborough and Blackpool were said to be interested and they are not known for buying players who are duds at Top L1/Low Championship level.

Also, perhaps Moxon hasn't been completely happy at Carlisle this season and has been distracted with his future given that he is in the last year of his contract and coming off L2 team of the year/player of the season ratings but is expected to be carrying a struggling Carlisle team in a higher division (without much transfer additions being made or support therefore around him) and all the time he is in the last year of his contract and he has no financial security if he picks up an injury (ala Ronan Curtis). At Pompey he could slot into a well balanced team and not have to carry it.

I can see him adding some strength and depth to the midfield. He seems to carry more of a goal and assist threat from central areas and although he is known for his pace he clearly can influence a game with those high percentile stats in key attacking and defensive midfield skills. It is worth remembering that Pack and Morrell are out of contract in the summer - and Pack will be 33 - so building up some central midfield capability going forward is a good insurance policy against one or both not re-signing.

The other thing that I think he brings to the table for Pompey is his ability to take set pieces. Last year at Carlisle he took their free kicks and corners and although one feedback is he has not been as good at that this year this is another string to his bow that Pompey are not blessed with an abundance of.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

StMonkton wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:39 pm Basically divides a group into100 parts. If you are in the 98th percentile it means you are in the top 2%.
I don't really feel percentile is as such a particularly worthwhile means of assessment as for example making 8 out of 10 attacking passes in a period could result in a high percentile whereas 14 out of 20 in the same period from another player would give a lower percentile but a higher effectiveness in my opinion
You can look at a variety of statistics online and somewhere possibly find one where a donkey could appear to be a good signing
After all statistics said we had 2 terrific marquee signings in the summer now neither were even in the match day squad last night
Maybe I am old fashioned just leave statistics and assessment to the professionals and just judge players in what we can see for ourselves its all becoming too scientific for me
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Pompey55 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:31 pm
StMonkton wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:39 pm Basically divides a group into100 parts. If you are in the 98th percentile it means you are in the top 2%.
I don't really feel percentile is as such a particularly worthwhile means of assessment as for example making 8 out of 10 attacking passes in a period could result in a high percentile whereas 14 out of 20 in the same period from another player would give a lower percentile but a higher effectiveness in my opinion
You can look at a variety of statistics online and somewhere possibly find one where a donkey could appear to be a good signing
After all statistics said we had 2 terrific marquee signings in the summer now neither were even in the match day squad last night
Maybe I am old fashioned just leave statistics and assessment to the professionals and just judge players in what we can see for ourselves its all becoming too scientific for me
A donkey would definitely have the highest percentile for the hardest kick 55
-- Diane Johnson
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

Hopefully Mox could be announced today/tonight there are rumours on Twitter he may have failed his medical. He has been playing with a hip flexor problem and Carlisle forum suggested he failed a medical at Blackpool. Another comment was the deal won’t go through without Carlisle bringing in a replacement. If the medical rumour is true reminds me of the Bishop saga.
-- Diane Johnson
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

jam tomorrow wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:49 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:31 pm
A donkey would definitely have the highest percentile for the hardest kick 55
I wonder what Chris Burns is doing now? Anyone know?
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

you can't actually fail a medical. What can happen though is that a medical can flag up for example a chronic condition that means that the player is a risk of missing games through having to treat that condition (say cannot play Sat - Tue - Sat regularly) or is at a high risk of breaking down and requiring for example 3 months out in treatment and rehab during their contract with Pompey (say the next 2.5 years).

therefore a club has to decide with that information are they willing to pay the transfer fee and the wages to that player in light of the information identified through that medical. A medical is not therefore a pass/fail it is about identifying risk factors for consideration before making that financial commitment (return on investment considerations).

I believe I posted up a while back an interesting podcast about this from a club's medical team. you can find the whole interview with Gary Lewin Ex-Arsenal physio here but listen from 1hr0930secs and listen to his explanation.