Different Approach To Transfer Window: Bolton vs Pompey

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Different Approach To Transfer Window: Bolton vs Pompey

Post by Jack_Tinn »

All things are not always equal but I find it interesting that Pompey have signed five players in this window (6 if you count Martin re-signing until the end of the season) and have spent an estimated £700k doing so. For this money Pompey sign a GK in Macey under the end of the season, McIntrye as a left sided central defender, Moxon as a powerful midfielder, MPH as an attacking midfielder and Lang as an attacker.

By season's end you'd expect that Pompey will have had contributions to where they finish the season from at least four of those players in the first team. Pompey have effectively spread its risk across these four signings (three of which are on long term contracts too).

Bolton by comparison, fighting Pompey for automatic promotion, have spent £750k on a transfer fee (not including agent fees and player signing bonus) on one player; Aaron Collins. Collins had a terrific season for Bristol Rovers last year but is out of form and struggling this year....hence, why Bristol cashed in the player.

Bolton in my view have put alot on the shoulders of Collins to produce. Bolton probably would get promoted without signing him imho so perhaps there is not a tremendous pressure on Collins but I find it interesting that their strategy was to put their money into one 'big' signing and Pompey put their money into four/five players they think can make a difference to the starting xi.

Time will tell but MPH helped Pompey get 3 pts at Port Vale and Lang was instrumental in Pompey getting 1pt at Oxford. You could say the immediate early returns are more positive for Pompey's strategy.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Re: Different Approach To Transfer Window: Bolton vs Pompey

Post by Milton End »

Thanks JT - some interesting observations. However, I think that the difference in approach also needs to be seen in the context of the existing squad of players at the PFC and Bolton.

For example, I don't know whether Bolton have had the same run of bad injuries as PFC. But my own impression is that we have recruited - at least in part - to fill some major weaknesses arising from injuries to Robertson, Poole, Anjorin, etc. This might partly explain the different approach
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:10 pm All things are not always equal but I find it interesting that Pompey have signed five players in this window (6 if you count Martin re-signing until the end of the season) and have spent an estimated £700k doing so. For this money Pompey sign a GK in Macey under the end of the season, McIntrye as a left sided central defender, Moxon as a powerful midfielder, MPH as an attacking midfielder and Lang as an attacker.

By season's end you'd expect that Pompey will have had contributions to where they finish the season from at least four of those players in the first team. Pompey have effectively spread its risk across these four signings (three of which are on long term contracts too).

Bolton by comparison, fighting Pompey for automatic promotion, have spent £750k on a transfer fee (not including agent fees and player signing bonus) on one player; Aaron Collins. Collins had a terrific season for Bristol Rovers last year but is out of form and struggling this year....hence, why Bristol cashed in the player.

Bolton in my view have put alot on the shoulders of Collins to produce. Bolton probably would get promoted without signing him imho so perhaps there is not a tremendous pressure on Collins but I find it interesting that their strategy was to put their money into one 'big' signing and Pompey put their money into four/five players they think can make a difference to the starting xi.

Time will tell but MPH helped Pompey get 3 pts at Port Vale and Lang was instrumental in Pompey getting 1pt at Oxford. You could say the immediate early returns are more positive for Pompey's strategy.
I'd agree that we have different approaches however I think it's important to gauge what signings will have a possible immediate effect on performance
Macey signed mainly as competition to Norris no immediate effect
McIntrye coming in On the back of a long injury no immediate effect
Moxon unlikely to replace Pack Morrell Lowery when fit no immediate effect
MPH. Only here due to Robertson Anjorin injuries and whilst playing ok at Port Vale was not that instrumental in the game result as such, faded in the second half as he needs time to adapt to the pace of our division
So in real terms the only signing significantly increasing the quality of the first 11 is Lang when considering the pre injury starting line-up
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

Sorry I can’t agree with your assessment that 4 of those new players have had or will not have any immediate impact on team performance.

The very fact that they have arrived will improve squad morale, boost numbers and options for JM and of course challenge the current starters for a place in the first 11. All those factors will have an immediate impact both on & off the pitch!
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Pompey55 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:22 pm
Jack_Tinn wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:10 pm All things are not always equal but I find it interesting that Pompey have signed five players in this window (6 if you count Martin re-signing until the end of the season) and have spent an estimated £700k doing so. For this money Pompey sign a GK in Macey under the end of the season, McIntrye as a left sided central defender, Moxon as a powerful midfielder, MPH as an attacking midfielder and Lang as an attacker.

I'd agree that we have different approaches however I think it's important to gauge what signings will have a possible immediate effect on performance
Macey signed mainly as competition to Norris no immediate effect
McIntrye coming in On the back of a long injury no immediate effect
Moxon unlikely to replace Pack Morrell Lowery when fit no immediate effect
MPH. Only here due to Robertson Anjorin injuries and whilst playing ok at Port Vale was not that instrumental in the game result as such, faded in the second half as he needs time to adapt to the pace of our division
So in real terms the only signing significantly increasing the quality of the first 11 is Lang when considering the pre injury starting line-up
Dont agree whatsover with the majority of that.
Macey-here to push Norris, that should have a immediate effect, from knowing he had the jersey whatever happened to now under pressure to keep his standards high.
McIntyre-clearly here to fill the void left by Poole, when he's up too speed he'll be in over Raggett.
Moxon-lol. He'll start tomorrow imo. Morrell-if as thought he's done his knee ligament thats him out for the season. Lowery-have you seen his injury record? Did you see him @ Oxford getting bullied?So a pretty immediate effect.

MPH-not sure what you're on about here, so what if he's here because Robbo & Anjorin are injured, if he plays like he did @ Port Vale which I've no doubt he will thats a pretty immediate effect as well.
All opinions of course!!
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

Going back to the original post, I think recent experience with injuries not only pushed us into multiple signings it also illustrated the risks for an approach of signing the ‘last piece of the jigsaw’. Put all your resources into one big signing who may get injured in the first game.

All part of the risks and uncertainties of sport of course.

If Morrell is out for the season that is a big blow. I know all teams get injuries but we seem to be getting them for key players, which is a challenge.

PUP.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I think the observation that some of these signings are to bolster positions because of injury is an interesting and true observation. Would MPH have been a target if Anjorin and Robertson were fit ....probably not. Allowing teams to address areas of weakness in their squad or to make changes to their tactics, formations etc is the reason there is an in-season transfer window.

My point was not that all of these signings will make an immediate impact and change Pompey's fortunes but that they all will contribute between now and the end of the season and that Pompey have invested to bolster the GK, Defence, Midfield and Attack whereas Bolton have 'put all their eggs in one basket' with an out of form Aaron Colllins - even if that signing is a master stroke that will only bolster their attack which is not a point of weakness for them anyway.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by pompeygunner »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:04 am I think the observation that some of these signings are to bolster positions because of injury is an interesting and true observation. Would MPH have been a target if Anjorin and Robertson were fit ....probably not. Allowing teams to address areas of weakness in their squad or to make changes to their tactics, formations etc is the reason there is an in-season transfer window.

My point was not that all of these signings will make an immediate impact and change Pompey's fortunes but that they all will contribute between now and the end of the season and that Pompey have invested to bolster the GK, Defence, Midfield and Attack whereas Bolton have 'put all their eggs in one basket' with an out of form Aaron Colllins - even if that signing is a master stroke that will only bolster their attack which is not a point of weakness for them anyway.
But all you're doing is theorising with respect. Its like saying if my Auntie had balls she'd be my Uncle etc. Of course MPH is here because of injuries-but that doesn't make him a lesser player. If Port Vale is anything to go by he's possibly a better "10" than either Anjorin or Robertson (the latter is more of a deep lying CM player IMO).
They're here & lets get behind them instead of worrying why they're here. :thumb
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Ultimately, the club said it wanted to exit the transfer window stronger than it went into it.

The three permanent outfield signings are tied down to the club for the long term, this means that there is less risky overhauls year on year.

I think it demonstrates planning for the future and making signings less spiky, for want if a better word.

I'd also add that circumstances will play a part in any transfer, never mind transfer window so it's good to see we adapted to our needs. The club have always said they have lists and lists of targets depending on injuries, who becomes available etc.. etc.. we have signed players all with league one experience, all but Moxon have championship experience - something which was questioned in the summer.

Ultimately, I believe we would have been backed by the owners to sign anyone we wanted had the price represented value. That doesn't have to mean cheap.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:02 am Ultimately, the club said it wanted to exit the transfer window stronger than it went into it.

The three permanent outfield signings are tied down to the club for the long term, this means that there is less risky overhauls year on year.

I think it demonstrates planning for the future and making signings less spiky, for want if a better word.

I'd also add that circumstances will play a part in any transfer, never mind transfer window so it's good to see we adapted to our needs. The club have always said they have lists and lists of targets depending on injuries, who becomes available etc.. etc.. we have signed players all with league one experience, all but Moxon have championship experience - something which was questioned in the summer.

Ultimately, I believe we would have been backed by the owners to sign anyone we wanted had the price represented value. That doesn't have to mean cheap.
totally agree with this. The other element which I think is pretty smart of Pompey is that they have pulled forward their summer transfer window targets: definitely McIntyre and Moxon and Lang too probably into the January window at a time when they are top of the league and therefore an attractive team/place to move to. In the summer players may take more stock of the market so I think Pompey cashed in their league position a little in January to get a jump on their summer recruitment.

Moxon for example helps massively when Pack (32yo) and Morrell are both out of contract in the summer and McIntyre helps because Poole will be returning from long term injury in the summer and Raggett is out of contract (and 32yo)
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:00 am
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:02 am Ultimately, the club said it wanted to exit the transfer window stronger than it went into it.

totally agree with this. The other element which I think is pretty smart of Pompey is that they have pulled forward their summer transfer window targets: definitely McIntyre and Moxon and Lang too probably into the January window at a time when they are top of the league and therefore an attractive team/place to move to. In the summer players may take more stock of the market so I think Pompey cashed in their league position a little in January to get a jump on their summer recruitment.

Moxon for example helps massively when Pack (32yo) and Morrell are both out of contract in the summer and McIntyre helps because Poole will be returning from long term injury in the summer and Raggett is out of contract (and 32yo)
I think the consensus of opinion is Bolton have made a statement in their signing of sort after striker Collins, however in my opinion we have aquired a much better player in Lang. He showed some of his capabilities versus Oxford with a fanatastic strike. Also he has proven goal scoring cabilities even in the Championship which is more than Collins has. Add to that we have Bishop who a lot of teams would love to have in their side.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

The way Lang immediately took on the attack was imense, with energy and no little skill. It was what we have been waiting for
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

jam tomorrow wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:10 pm
Jack_Tinn wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:00 am

I think the consensus of opinion is Bolton have made a statement in their signing of sort after striker Collins, however in my opinion we have aquired a much better player in Lang. He showed some of his capabilities versus Oxford with a fanatastic strike. Also he has proven goal scoring cabilities even in the Championship which is more than Collins has. Add to that we have Bishop who a lot of teams would love to have in their side.
I'd not be surprised if we looked at Collins he fits the Paddy Lane sort of mould of player who's lost his way a bit, and I suspect for the right price we may have been tempted but if he was £750k I'm not sure that represents a good deal for a player who has A) Lost his way and B) not done it where we all hope to be in the summer.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

The other fact is we got good deals with respect to Moxom and Mc Intyre with clubs desperate to sell, due to their financial circumstances
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by pompeygunner »

jam tomorrow wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:33 pm The other fact is we got good deals with respect to Moxom and Mc Intyre with clubs desperate to sell, due to their financial circumstances
Not true in Carlisle's case, they have rich Yank owners iirc.