Your Team for Northampton

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: Your Team for Northampton

Post by Sam_Brown »

Very good. First game of the season and a great one to watch. Not the best I’ve seen us play and at 2-0 with a man down got very nervous but happy it was relatively stress free second half. Thought the team did well the last 15 minutes when we could have been under pressure and outside of the wonder goal from Cobblers they didn’t really have a sniff.

MPH had some good moments and won us a penalty but felt a few times when he could have taken someone on or passed he didn’t always make the best decisions / over thought it. He went down a couple of times trying to win fouls and even some of the Pompey fans in the north stand gave him a bit of ****** telling him to get up.
Last edited by Sam_Brown on Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:10 pm Very good. First game of the season and a great one to watch. Not the best I’ve seen us play and at 2-0 with a man down got very nervous but happy it was relatively stress free second half. Thought the team did well the last 15 minutes when we could have been under pressure and outside of the wonder goal from Cobblers they didn’t really have a sniff.
Glad you enjoyed it Mate!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:14 pm
Sam_Brown wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:10 pm Very good. First game of the season and a great one to watch. Not the best I’ve seen us play and at 2-0 with a man down got very nervous but happy it was relatively stress free second half. Thought the team did well the last 15 minutes when we could have been under pressure and outside of the wonder goal from Cobblers they didn’t really have a sniff.
Glad you enjoyed it Mate!

Thanks. Apparently someone fainted in the away end right next to my brother and the medics were called and got it sorted pretty quickly. So credit to the stadium medical team as well as we’ve seen some cases at other clubs where things like this haven’t been dealt with quickly. 👌.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

Here’s a query for any of you that were at the game?

Following the game on text there seemed to be a delay between the incident and the card.

Did the referee give the card for the foul or the injury?

Just for a bit of perspective, a referee mistake last week got us a couple of points.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Pompey55 »

StMonkton wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:48 am Here’s a query for any of you that were at the game?

Following the game on text there seemed to be a delay between the incident and the card.

Did the referee give the card for the foul or the injury?

Just for a bit of perspective, a referee mistake last week got us a couple of points.
It looked like the referee consulted the linesman but McIntyre was also on the ground injured so there was a delay whilst he got to his feet
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

I saw the tackle that led to the red card but I couldn’t really make out if it was bad or not. Was it worth a red card?
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

I would say it didn't even warrant a yellow!! A 50/50 ball for each player..McIntyre went into the tackle, in my view got the ball which went at considerable speed in the direction of the tackle (indicating he had connected with the ball because the ball was originally travelling in the opposite direction!).
Obviously both players had a coming together..football is a contact sport FFS!! :roll:
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Haha my mindset as well. Also the reason I am no longer allowed to play football with my nephews!
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

For who’s protection, yours or their’s?
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

eltorrro wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:21 pm I would say it didn't even warrant a yellow!! A 50/50 ball for each player..McIntyre went into the tackle, in my view got the ball which went at considerable speed in the direction of the tackle (indicating he had connected with the ball because the ball was originally travelling in the opposite direction!).
Obviously both players had a coming together..football is a contact sport FFS!! :roll:
I wonder whether we'll appeal it. Usually we don't but it looked like a decent challenge to me - the ref could be excused for giving a yellow but McIntyre clearly got the ball.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
NSRailings
Alan Knight

Post by NSRailings »

Just watched the highlights - Pack's pass to Lane for the 2nd is sublime.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

NSRailings wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:30 pm
eltorrro wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:21 pm I would say it didn't even warrant a yellow!! A 50/50 ball for each player..McIntyre went into the tackle, in my view got the ball which went at considerable speed in the direction of the tackle (indicating he had connected with the ball because the ball was originally travelling in the opposite direction!).
I wonder whether we'll appeal it. Usually we don't but it looked like a decent challenge to me - the ref could be excused for giving a yellow but McIntyre clearly got the ball.
Northampton manager calls the tackle horrendous and left his player sock soaked in blood, l must admit it was a firm tackle but as far as I’m concerned Mac got the ball.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by phat_chris »

I'll pre-face this by saying I haven't seen the tackle.

By modern rules players deemed to be entering a challenge in a dangerous manner can be carded irrespective of whether they make contact with the ball or player. Dangerous challenges include, but are not limited to, diving into a challenge with both feet, going in studs first, going in studs raised, being out of control (not being in contact with the ground). If the referee deemed the challenge dangerous, then that's why he was sent off.

As I say, I haven't seen the tackle so cannot say whether any of the above is relevant.
NSRailings
Alan Knight

Post by NSRailings »

jam tomorrow wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:11 pm
NSRailings wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:30 pm I wonder whether we'll appeal it. Usually we don't but it looked like a decent challenge to me - the ref could be excused for giving a yellow but McIntyre clearly got the ball.
Northampton manager calls the tackle horrendous and left his player sock soaked in blood, l must admit it was a firm tackle but as far as I’m concerned Mac got the ball.
"The tackle on Mitch is horrendous, you should see his shin. His sock’s full of blood and I’m so relieved he’s come out of that and is able to carry on and play."

Total BS. If it was that bad he wouldn't be able to carry on or they'd take him off as precautionary.
NSRailings
Alan Knight

Post by NSRailings »

phat_chris wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:40 pm By modern rules players deemed to be entering a challenge in a dangerous manner can be carded irrespective of whether they make contact with the ball or player. Dangerous challenges include, but are not limited to, diving into a challenge with both feet, going in studs first, going in studs raised, being out of control (not being in contact with the ground). If the referee deemed the challenge dangerous, then that's why he was sent off.

As I say, I haven't seen the tackle so cannot say whether any of the above is relevant.
None of the above.