Some Tough Games Today.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Some Tough Games Today.

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Ours against Northampton won't be a walk in the park, they are having a good season and aren't far off the play offs but probably a bit too far.

Bolton Vs Barnsley, can't decide if we want a draw or a Barnsley win. Both sides have injuries.

Derby are away at Charlton - neither side will have Blackett Taylor.

Peterborough are at home to Wigan.

Stevenage have Blackpool.

Oxford have reading at home at 12:30

Hopefully some teams help us out.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 61 times

Re: Some Tough Games Today.

Post by GreenBlue »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:05 am Ours against Northampton won't be a walk in the park, they are having a good season and aren't far off the play offs but probably a bit too far.

Bolton Vs Barnsley, can't decide if we want a draw or a Barnsley win. Both sides have injuries.

Derby are away at Charlton - neither side will have Blackett Taylor.

Peterborough are at home to Wigan.

Stevenage have Blackpool.

Oxford have reading at home at 12:30

Hopefully some teams help us out.
I think ours was a walk in the park and I am regaining my confidence that we will be in the top 2 come the end f the season.

The Barnsley win would have been the best result for us currently but if, we assume that Bolton are going to win the league, (which I don't by the way), then Bolton taking points off another rival was a good result.

Correct, neither side had Blackett Taylor

Peterborough were at home to Wigan. Again correct but the outcome was very pleasing.

I honestly expected Blackpool to have been more of a force this season. But having said that, I don't think Stevenage will top us so the more points they take off our rivals, the better.

Oxford are not in contention for a top 2 position.

I hope you weren't too disappointed.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I'm delighted with the results.

I thought, we might have found it a bit tougher against Northampton, just shows what an early goal can do.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I took a peak at Bolton and Peterborough's fixtures going forward. Neither have a run that Pompey have in March when we are playing the top sides in a close run of games but their fixtures aren't easy and thy both have a smattering of banana skin games that won't be easy.

Peterborough have to go to Exeter, Bristol Rovers, Cheltenham, Oxford and have Blackpool, Pompey, Stevenage and Bolton (last game of the season) at home.

Bolton, have Blackpool, Wigan, Barnsley, Exeter, Derby, Stevenage, Bristol Rovers and Peterborough away (amongst others) but their home games are a lot kinder with only Oxford and Pompey notable. Bolton's away form over the next couple of months is going to be really going to be something to keep an eye on.

Once the season gets to the last ten games we all know that the teams lower down suddenly become a much tougher proposition because they are fighting for survival and everything tightens up and nerves kick in

Although Pompey's six games in March: Oxford (H), Blackpool (a), Burton (H), Peterborough (a), Barnsley (H), Wycombe (a) are going to be challenging (except perhaps Burton) at least the team is going to be focussed and up for every game and this means that there is not likely to be complacency creeping in at the crucial part of the season and that I feel may actually work in Pompey's favour.

Pompey have to 'make hay' now during February @Carlisle, Cambridge (H), Reading (H) and Charlton (a) - hopefully getting 10pts from 12 available (73pts at end of Feb) then fight like a team that wants promotion during March - and try and stay in the top 2 going into April.

If they can get 10pts in March from those 6 games (beat Burton, Barnsley or Oxford at home and beat Wycombe (a)) and then pick up at least one draw at either Peterborough, Blackpool or the other of Oxford or Barnsley at home) then they would have 83pts going into April.

April's games are Derby (H), Shrewsbury (H) Bolton (a) Wigan (H) and Lincoln (a). If Pompey can get three wins from those last five that's 92pts and hopefully enough to celebrate promotion.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

I might be in the minority here but I’m happy to be playing teams in the top half. I think it’s a lot easier to motivate the players and the team to “turn up” against better teams. I also think it’s very easy to take the teams at the bottom for granted.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Sam_Brown wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:27 pm I might be in the minority here but I’m happy to be playing teams in the top half. I think it’s a lot easier to motivate the players and the team to “turn up” against better teams. I also think it’s very easy to take the teams at the bottom for granted.
I’d agree we tend to drop more points against the lesser teams than we should but tend as you say to perform better against the better teams in particular at home as the lesser clubs are more likely to park the bus
PompeyinAnjou
Robbie Pethick
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by PompeyinAnjou »

We need to focus on our games, one at a time and if we win 10/15 we should go up. 9 wins and three draws will probably do too.

One game at a time, avoid stupid spendings offs and injuries and go out from the first whistle to try to win games comfortably. Our goal difference needs some work and being 2/3+ goals up allows more rotation. With Lane, Lang and Yengi back we have the pace and power to see off most teams. Bishop needs another penalty or two to add to his repertoire of two. The one low to the keeper's right is better than the one to his left, a yard inside the post. Guess right and you save that one often. Blasted high down the middle shouldn't be too difficult to perfect. Until that happens I'd suggest we try other penalty takers. Pack, MPH or Lang?