I'm truly hoping this is fake news

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Re: I'm truly hoping this is fake news

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:15 pm
eltorrro wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:07 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:03 pm
BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:50 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:24 pm
BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:00 pm I agree the return of Ogilvie is massive and whilst Sparkes has been good in parts, particularly from dead ball situations, it has become rather obvious of the weakness of Sparkes` defensive abilities. Raggett is good in what he does, defend! We still have (including Raggett) just about the best Defence in League One)
And was sparkes not part of that defence? Why is the constant putting down of the players who have played in the games that have put us top carrying on, we lost a couple of games, big woops, so have the other teams, these players won games for us and yet a couple of losses and they are the worst players in the world ffs get a grip
You did not read properly what I posted
It has become rather obvious the weakness of sparkes defensive abilities??
Have I read that wrong? Have I not read correctly that sparkes can't defend. I ask again. Was he not defending in all the games we won?
Yes, he was..but he was pretty poor in his defensive duties. Not too bad going forward and put in some good crosses but very suspect defending.
Well in that case I am amazed we ever won any game ever them, with sparkes and raggett in the same defence.
I bow to all you who clearly know football and concede we have no chance of getting promotion with this team 👍
Now you are being silly!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:00 pm I agree the return of Ogilvie is massive and whilst Sparkes has been good in parts, particularly from dead ball situations, it has become rather obvious of the weakness of Sparkes` defensive abilities. Raggett is good in what he does, defend! We still have (including Raggett) just about the best Defence in League One)
And was sparkes not part of that defence? Why is the constant putting down of the players who have played in the games that have put us top carrying on, we lost a couple of games, big woops, so have the other teams, these players won games for us and yet a couple of losses and they are the worst players in the world ffs get a grip
Have I read that wrong? Have I not read correctly that sparkes can't defend. I ask again. Was he not defending in all the games we won?
Yes, he was..but he was pretty poor in his defensive duties. Not too bad going forward and put in some good crosses but very suspect defending.
Well in that case I am amazed we ever won any game ever them, with sparkes and raggett in the same defence.
I bow to all you who clearly know football and concede we have no chance of getting promotion with this team 👍
Now you are trying to put words into peoples mouths!! That is NOT what has been said or inferred.
Sparkes is just not as good defending as others we have.
Is he better than Ogilvie?
Is he better at wing half than Lane/Lang/Kamara?
Sparkes is a good squad player.
Raggett really hasn't done anything wrong whenever he's played..rightly our manager has recruited somebody that is a bit more secure with the ball so that player must surely get the nod whenever possible.
What a great backup to have in Raggett.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

eltorrro wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:13 pm
Now you are trying to put words into peoples mouths!! That is NOT what has been said or inferred.
Sparkes is just not as good defending as others we have.
Is he better than Ogilvie?
Is he better at wing half than Lane/Lang/Kamara?
Sparkes is a good squad player.
Raggett really hasn't done anything wrong whenever he's played..rightly our manager has recruited somebody that is a bit more secure with the ball so that player must surely get the nod whenever possible.
What a great backup to have in Raggett.
No I am not torro, it has been said many times that's sparkes is the weak link and can't defend. As soon as mcintyre was announced as out doe the season the boo boys came out saying raggett was a liability, so no I haven't put words in anyone's mouth. I have never said sparkesnis better than ogilvie, all I have said is we are too of rhe league with the 2nd best Defence in the league, and sparkes has been in the team for most of those games
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:04 pm
Now you are being silly!
Sini am silly to agree with those views? But the views aren't silly? OK, I am silly then
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Personal opinion: Sparkes is not as good a defender as Ogilvie! Both Poole and McIntyre are better defenders than Raggett. However both Raggett & Sparkes have contributed to the joint best defence in League One! OK?
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

How many clubs in in our division would be delighted to have the likes of Ragget and Sparkes in their starting 11? Most, I would say. They are very decent players at this level and shouldn't be underestimated as great options for Pompey.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:31 pm Personal opinion: Sparkes is not as good a defender as Ogilvie! Both Poole and McIntyre are better defenders than Raggett. However both Raggett & Sparkes have contributed to the joint best defence in League One! OK?
I havent ever said that any of that wasn't true, but sparkes and raggett have been absolutely panned very unfairly in my opinion for the last few weeks, if they were as shocking as been made out we would be fighting relegation not sitting top of the table
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:30 pm
BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:31 pm Personal opinion: Sparkes is not as good a defender as Ogilvie! Both Poole and McIntyre are better defenders than Raggett. However both Raggett & Sparkes have contributed to the joint best defence in League One! OK?
I havent ever said that any of that wasn't true, but sparkes and raggett have been absolutely panned very unfairly in my opinion for the last few weeks, if they were as shocking as been made out we would be fighting relegation not sitting top of the table
You do the rest of the squad a disservice, perhaps the position we are in is because of the squad. A team is not one player.
And I don't recall Raggett being 'absolutely panned' as you put it..there were comments about his on the ball skills but most comments were about how good a defender and dead ball player he is.
Think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

eltorrro wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:01 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:30 pm
You do the rest of the squad a disservice, perhaps the position we are in is because of the squad. A team is not one player.
And I don't recall Raggett being 'absolutely panned' as you put it..there were comments about his on the ball skills but most comments were about how good a defender and dead ball player he is.
Think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.
Well if thats true and the team is mot one player, how come all ghe losses were played squarely on ghe shoulders of sparkes?
The comments about Raggett were made once mcintyre was ruled out.
I maybe making a mountain out of a molehill, but what are the people who seem to think that being top and clear just isn't enough, because we obviously aren't going to be able to stay there doing?