I'm truly hoping this is fake news

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Re: I'm truly hoping this is fake news

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I'm more worried about Towler having to step up than Raggs. He has potential. Wonder if there are any free agents knocking about for a bit of cover.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:28 pm Wonder if there are any free agents knocking about for a bit of cover.
You read my mind, I was thinking the exact thing. Cue Richard Hughes to work his magic.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey55 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:14 am
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:13 pm Did I miss us playing another centre back some where along the line?? I could have sworn that the games pile has been out for, raggett has been playing, and we won far more games than we lost hence we are top of the league .
Is raggett the new sparkes for this week??
I saw very few complaints about Raggett during that time but suddenly because we signed a player with some championship experience all be it with a struggling team and after a 4 month injury layoff he was the messiah who would guarantee our automatic promotion apparently.
Not looking to pick a fight mate, but if you think Raggett is the same quality as someone like McIntyre, you are not watching the same game as me. Watching McIntyre last week reminded me why Raggett is so limited. I get that we need Raggs now, but I truly wish we didn't. Losing Morrell is not as great a loss IMO.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Selsey Bill wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:42 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:13 pm Did I miss us playing another centre back some where along the line?? I could have sworn that the games pile has been out for, raggett has been playing, and we won far more games than we lost hence we are top of the league .
I saw very few complaints about Raggett during that time but suddenly because we signed a player with some championship experience all be it with a struggling team and after a 4 month injury layoff he was the messiah who would guarantee our automatic promotion apparently.
Not looking to pick a fight mate, but if you think Raggett is the same quality as someone like McIntyre, you are not watching the same game as me. Watching McIntyre last week reminded me why Raggett is so limited. I get that we need Raggs now, but I truly wish we didn't. Losing Morrell is not as great a loss IMO.
If you had noted in an earlier post I had said I wasn't saying that McIntyre wasn't a better defender in possession than Raggett but felt it was to early in my view to judge him after 54 minutes against a very poor opposition.
I do feel that there was some over reaction to think his loss would cost us automatic promotion based on 54 minutes football and a number of games in the Championship
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

JM obviously knows Ragg's abilities and see's him more as a stopper than a creator. But I think I know what '55 means - just because we play Raggett doesn't mean we can't go up automatically. That's a bit of a put down on the three other new players we've brought in - not to mention the rest of the squad and Mousinho's coaching.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

NSRailings wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:30 am
JM obviously knows Ragg's abilities and see's him more as a stopper than a creator. But I think I know what '55 means - just because we play Raggett doesn't mean we can't go up automatically. That's a bit of a put down on the three other new players we've brought in - not to mention the rest of the squad and Mousinho's coaching.
again, was Raggett not playing in all the games we won to get us to the top of the league, why are we suddenly going to lose all our games because he isnt as good as someone who played 54 minutes for us ??
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by phat_chris »

I think the major concern with losing McIntyre is we are back to being as vulnerable as we were before the January window in the centre of defence. We now, once again, only have Towler as a backup CB. Another injury and we are in trouble. We also suffer a bit from a drop in quality. While Raggett is stable and reliable, the added quality we have lost in both Poole and now McIntyre makes us weaker. It's not a drastic weakening, certainly not season ending. I have full faith that Raggett will do what he does well and we will continue to have a tough defence to beat. I just hope we can get through the rest of the season without any further injury worries.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

phat_chris wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:24 am I think the major concern with losing McIntyre is we are back to being as vulnerable as we were before the January window in the centre of defence. We now, once again, only have Towler as a backup CB. Another injury and we are in trouble. We also suffer a bit from a drop in quality. While Raggett is stable and reliable, the added quality we have lost in both Poole and now McIntyre makes us weaker. It's not a drastic weakening, certainly not season ending. I have full faith that Raggett will do what he does well and we will continue to have a tough defence to beat. I just hope we can get through the rest of the season without any further injury worries.
Agreed, although I think we are in a slightly stronger position though due to Ogilvie is back fit.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

I agree the return of Ogilvie is massive and whilst Sparkes has been good in parts, particularly from dead ball situations, it has become rather obvious of the weakness of Sparkes` defensive abilities. Raggett is good in what he does, defend! We still have (including Raggett) just about the best Defence in League One)
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Ogilvie was great in the Northampton match. Great to have him back and definitely a key player I hope stays fit.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:00 pm I agree the return of Ogilvie is massive and whilst Sparkes has been good in parts, particularly from dead ball situations, it has become rather obvious of the weakness of Sparkes` defensive abilities. Raggett is good in what he does, defend! We still have (including Raggett) just about the best Defence in League One)
And was sparkes not part of that defence? Why is the constant putting down of the players who have played in the games that have put us top carrying on, we lost a couple of games, big woops, so have the other teams, these players won games for us and yet a couple of losses and they are the worst players in the world ffs get a grip
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:24 pm
BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:00 pm I agree the return of Ogilvie is massive and whilst Sparkes has been good in parts, particularly from dead ball situations, it has become rather obvious of the weakness of Sparkes` defensive abilities. Raggett is good in what he does, defend! We still have (including Raggett) just about the best Defence in League One)
And was sparkes not part of that defence? Why is the constant putting down of the players who have played in the games that have put us top carrying on, we lost a couple of games, big woops, so have the other teams, these players won games for us and yet a couple of losses and they are the worst players in the world ffs get a grip
You did not read properly what I posted
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:50 pm
It has become rather obvious the weakness of sparkes defensive abilities??
Have I read that wrong? Have I not read correctly that sparkes can't defend. I ask again. Was he not defending in all the games we won?
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Portchesterblue2 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:03 pm
Have I read that wrong? Have I not read correctly that sparkes can't defend. I ask again. Was he not defending in all the games we won?
Yes, he was..but he was pretty poor in his defensive duties. Not too bad going forward and put in some good crosses but very suspect defending.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

eltorrro wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:07 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:03 pm
Yes, he was..but he was pretty poor in his defensive duties. Not too bad going forward and put in some good crosses but very suspect defending.
Well in that case I am amazed we ever won any game ever them, with sparkes and raggett in the same defence.
I bow to all you who clearly know football and concede we have no chance of getting promotion with this team 👍