Highlights vs Cambridge!

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Highlights vs Cambridge!

Post by Sam_Brown »

* Great goal from Kamara.
* Good setup and flick by MPH in the build up play to his own goal.
* Nice we have someone who knows how to put a penalty away (possibly slightly unfair on Bish).
* Cambridge's goal looked generous... to say the least. Imagine 9/10 times that wouldn't be given but appreciate there were a lot of bodies in the box.

Another 3 points and 3 points closer to the title!
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times

Re: Highlights vs Cambridge!

Post by Pompey55 »

Sam_Brown wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:02 pm

* Good setup and flick by MPH in the build up play to his own
Over stating the quality of the set up and flick I think apart from the goal MPH was absolutely useless for the third match in a row
I’m not I believe the only one who thinks so based on what I heard around me last night
He either needs to adapt quickly or settle for a place on the bench
After the positive start he made at Port Vale his performance has been average at best
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Pompey55 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:38 pm

Over stating the quality of the set up and flick I think apart from the goal MPH was absolutely useless for the third match in a row
I’m not I believe the only one who thinks so based on what I heard around me last night
After the positive start he made at Port Vale his performance has been average at best
I don't think it's even been average to be honest..very poor I would say.
However, I do feel for him because I think he is still locked into Prem mode where he gets far more time on the ball and more time to think. He obviously has talent but is unable to use it at present due to his history and training. Don't think he is going to be any use to us as he is and should go back asap.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Give the Guy some slack, he is 20 years old thrust into the top of League One from Brentford Reserves. He needs time and patience!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:37 am Give the Guy some slack, he is 20 years old thrust into the top of League One from Brentford Reserves. He needs time and patience!
At this time of the season we don't have the luxury of giving him or anyone else time I did say he needs to adapt quickly, I would expect loan signings in the January window to be ready for the rigours of playing in this league such as Lang. Moxon I think was signed permanently on the basis of a longer term project for example although it looks like he could be thrust into the firing line earlier due to Lowery being injured
If he had been signed in the summer window then giving him time would be an option what does worry me is that despite his lack of form Moushino is suggesting he could fill the defensive midfield vacancy. I would think if not Moxon then Shaunessy as it's a position he often played for Burton with Towler moving into the back four would be a better option
eltorrro
Interim Manager

Post by eltorrro »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:37 am ...he is 20 years old thrust into the top of League One from Brentford Reserves. He needs time and patience!
I think you've just agreed with me with that response!!
We are seriously trying to get promotion, we don't have the luxury of 'time and patience' to school somebody else's prodigy.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Against Carlisle Mous took him off, quite early in the second half and there was an immediate impact. He left him on a little later on tuesday and he scored. That looks like good management, Mous knows what he is doing!
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

eltorrro wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:06 pm
Pompey55 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:38 pm

However, I do feel for him because I think he is still locked into Prem mode where he gets far more time on the ball and more time to think. He obviously has talent but is unable to use it at present due to his history and training. Don't think he is going to be any use to us as he is and should go back asap.
Is he worse than Kamara?
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:18 am Against Carlisle Mous took him off, quite early in the second half and there was an immediate impact. He left him on a little later on tuesday and he scored. That looks like good management, Mous knows what he is doing!
Up at Carlisle he had some great touches, and played a few good balls, but most of the game sort of passed him by and some of the basics let him down.

There is clearly a very good footballer in there, he just had a very bad day at the office there. I think he probably operates better through the middle than out in the left and coming inside, that said him coming in off the left does create space for CO to move into.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:18 am Against Carlisle Mous took him off, quite early in the second half and there was an immediate impact. He left him on a little later on tuesday and he scored. That looks like good management, Mous knows what he is doing!
I’d disagree no manager is infallible
You also missed out his poor performance against Northampton when he spent as much time on the floor as he did on his feet and stayed on the result over shadowed individual performances
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

How many young Players have been ruined by unfair and obsessive criticism without allowing them to adjust to the pace & style of League One football. We have the best form in the Division at the moment, so can`t you make allowances for the youngsters!
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

Given we have him on loan for the rest of the season and he's just scored in his last appearance, doesn't sending him back to Brentford immediately seem just a tiny bit excessive?

He's been a bit inconsistent so far but that's only to be expected from a young player adapting to senior football again. Whether he starts or comes off the bench as an impact sub is one to debate, but with the injuries we have, we're going to need everyone in the squad to contribute.
eltorrro
Interim Manager

Post by eltorrro »

PeteM wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:06 pm
Given we have him on loan for the rest of the season and he's just scored in his last appearance, doesn't sending him back to Brentford immediately seem just a tiny bit excessive?

He's been a bit inconsistent so far but that's only to be expected from a young player adapting to senior football again. Whether he starts or comes off the bench as an impact sub is one to debate, but with the injuries we have, we're going to need everyone in the squad to contribute.
It's not my call...just my opinion!!
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:29 pm How many young Players have been ruined by unfair and obsessive criticism without allowing them to adjust to the pace & style of League One football. We have the best form in the Division at the moment, so can`t you make allowances for the youngsters!
Not at this stage of the season I can’t
Kamara and Robertson were good examples of why you sign inexperienced players on loan in summer you had time to build on their experience which was and is now proving to be an asset
But with 13 games left we need all the experienced in form players to be the first on the team sheet if their position is a choice between them and an inexperienced loan player
Certainly use the less experienced player later in the match if necessary
And I don’t think my comments were obsessive or unfair just an opinion with regard to the use of inexperienced and mostly ineffective loan players signed in January possibly affecting our ongoing performances negatively
I did add the proviso that he needed to adapt quickly to keep his place in the starting lineup
And I do not express my view from the terrace towards any player they all get my unconditional support but away from the ground I consider I can express my view in a forum such as this
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Pompey55 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:13 pm
BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:29 pm How many young Players have been ruined by unfair and obsessive criticism without allowing them to adjust to the pace & style of League One football. We have the best form in the Division at the moment, so can`t you make allowances for the youngsters!
Not at this stage of the season I can’t
Kamara and Robertson were good examples of why you sign inexperienced players on loan in summer you had time to build on their experience which was and is now proving to be an asset
But with 13 games left we need all the experienced in form players to be the first on the team sheet if their position is a choice between them and an inexperienced loan player
Certainly use the less experienced player later in the match if necessary
And I don’t think my comments were obsessive or unfair just an opinion with regard to the use of inexperienced and mostly ineffective loan players signed in January possibly affecting our ongoing performances negatively
I did add the proviso that he needed to adapt quickly to keep his place in the starting lineup
And I do not express my view from the terrace towards any player they all get my unconditional support but away from the ground I consider I can express my view in a forum such as this
It's amazing we are blessed with so many players who can keep a player who has recently played premier league football out the team.

I'm not saying he has set the world a light in his last few games, but it's not we playing some 18 year old kid either, and it's not like he's had three or four stinkers either.