Will Colby Bishop Get The Golden Boot?!

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Will Colby Bishop Get The Golden Boot?

Yes
18%
No
82%

Total votes: 11

Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Will Colby Bishop Get The Golden Boot?!

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I backed him to get the Golden Boot preseason. While his goalscoring as slowed so have many of the other top scorers got a golden boot...

In your reading this Colby - get the gold boot and get me a ticket for Lincoln and I'll buy you a pint!
SportMouth
Collins Mbesuma
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Will Colby Bishop Get The Golden Boot?!

Post by SportMouth »

Up his bottom? Perhaps!
There are at least 8 better strikers in L1..
For a while he was seen as the jewel in the crown.
Hugely disappointed by him......and have been for a while.....
Decent at L2 level..has ben found out.
Mistake we made was not signing his striking partner....same applied
to Marquis....common knowledge that he was useless without partner.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Which 8 are they?
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

He's also never played in league two...
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

SportMouth wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:14 pm Up his bottom? Perhaps!
He's the fourth top goalscorer in League One this season as it stands. Hardly been found out, has he?

He's scored double figure goal totals in the last five seasons, all at L1 level. Interestingly, the strike partner you refer to (Dion Charles, I'm assuming) has scored fewer goals this season than Bishop and his goals per 90 minutes figure is very similar. They're both good players at this level.
SportMouth
Collins Mbesuma

Post by SportMouth »

PeteM wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:20 am
SportMouth wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:14 pm Up his bottom? Perhaps!
He's the fourth top goalscorer in League One this season as it stands. Hardly been found out, has he?

He's scored double figure goal totals in the last five seasons, all at L1 level. Interestingly, the strike partner you refer to (Dion Charles, I'm assuming) has scored fewer goals this season than Bishop and his goals per 90 minutes figure is very similar. They're both good players at this level.
Everything is relative. Bishop's return has been decent..although tailed off recently. For a LONG time many claimed he was
by far the best striker outside the Championship. Now he's 4th....I'd say that comes within 'being found out' category.
He works hard but he's not especially clinical, not particularly speedy...his hold up play is no better than many...and so on.
Thank GOD we signed him when we did....BUT...we've actually done equally well without him. It's contributions from Yengi
et al that have kept us on track.
PeteM
Milan Mandaric

Post by PeteM »

Nice trolling. So you're basically agreeing that he's pretty good then. Would be a very odd time to start having a pop at a player who's played a big part in getting us to the place we are if you're a Pompey fan.
SportMouth
Collins Mbesuma

Post by SportMouth »

PeteM wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:12 pm Nice trolling. So you're basically agreeing that he's pretty good then. Would be a very odd time to start having a pop at a player who's played a big part in getting us to the place we are if you're a Pompey fan.
I'll ignore the trolling accusation. It isn't true and shows you don't have a clue about my 56 years of following
Pompey home and away. I say Bishop is good...but NOT the Rolls Royce of strikers some have claimed.
Saydee has shown himself to be a better hold up player....Yengi and others have demostrated a keener eye for
goal. We managed to get Bishop when we were bereft of strikers...which is why I said 'thank God' BUT the question
was whether he deserves Golden Boot award. I reckon there are several players ahead of him...that's all I said.
SportMouth
Collins Mbesuma

Post by SportMouth »

PeteM wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:12 pm Nice trolling. So you're basically agreeing that he's pretty good then. Would be a very odd time to start having a pop at a player who's played a big part in getting us to the place we are if you're a Pompey fan.
Seems 82% of other respondents feel the same....more trolls?
PeteM
Milan Mandaric

Post by PeteM »

But I didn't claim he was the Rolls Royce of strikers, don't put words in my mouth. Just that he was a good League One player!

I notice you never responded to Pompey 1984+1's requests to name the 8 strikers you claim are better than him in L1. Or your comments about him being good at L2 level but found out at L1 level which have been disproved earlier in this thread.

I don't think he will win the Golden Boot this season, but I also don't think he has been found out at a level that he is clearly proven at. Given your alleged 56 years of following Pompey home and away, maybe enjoy the season we're having? Just a thought.
SportMouth
Collins Mbesuma

Post by SportMouth »

PeteM wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:26 pm But I didn't claim he was the Rolls Royce of strikers, don't put words in my mouth. Just that he was a good League One player!

I notice you never responded to Pompey 1984+1's requests to name the 8 strikers you claim are better than him in L1. Or your comments about him being good at L2 level but found out at L1 level which have been disproved earlier in this thread.

I don't think he will win the Golden Boot this season, but I also don't think he has been found out at a level that he is clearly proven at. Given your alleged 56 years of following Pompey home and away, maybe enjoy the season we're having? Just a thought.
Hello...when I wrote that post am pretty damned sure Bishop HAD slipped to 8th...he's now 4th....orders of merit change.
I don't THINK I ever said YOU stated he was the RR of strikers...I said it was a common opinion among some Pompey fans.
OK...perhaps I overstated the case for prosecution..but only a bit. Of COURSE I'm enjoying current season..each game I'm
astonished that we have achieved the seemingly improbable with an injury ravaged squad. I THOUGHT we'd get a good seeing
to at Peterborough tbh. Am fully aware that there are loads of Pompey fans who have followed side for longer and travelled
more than I....BUT I think they would all agree that a long term perspective is important. Enjoying the 'now' is fine..but that
wasn't a helpful attitude when it came clear what poo we were in in the final days before we almost went out of business.
The club is for always hopefully.....need to keep the long term in mind..at all times. PUP.
SportMouth
Collins Mbesuma

Post by SportMouth »

PeteM wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:26 pm But I didn't claim he was the Rolls Royce of strikers, don't put words in my mouth. Just that he was a good League One player!

.....'but NOT the Rolls Royce of strikers some have claimed'

See.....I didn't put anything in your mouth mate.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

I still think some underestimate his contribution to the team apart from his goals, both goals against Oxford had a direct contribution from Bishop in the build up plus on Saturday his presence in the attack alone was sufficient to draw the defenders attention away from Yengi
Plus his pressing of defenders contributes in some way to our defensive strength again in Saturday his pressing covered up for the deficiencies of MPH
And I don't feel Yengi has a better eye for goal yes he has scored goals but has missed a number of extremely simple chances which is in part down to his inexperience in particular for example from a yard against Burton
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Pompey55 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:14 pm

I still think some underestimate his contribution to the team apart from his goals, both goals against Oxford had a direct contribution from Bishop in the build up plus on Saturday his presence in the attack alone was sufficient to draw the defenders attention away from Yengi
Plus his pressing of defenders contributes in some way to our defensive strength again in Saturday his pressing covered up for the deficiencies of MPH
And I don't feel Yengi has a better eye for goal yes he has scored goals but has missed a number of extremely simple chances which is in part down to his inexperience in particular for example from a yard against Burton
Completely agree 55, strikers are always just judged on the number of goals, but Bishop like so many others do so much more, and when they arent in the team the whole dynamic changes.
SportMouth
Collins Mbesuma

Post by SportMouth »

Pompey55 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:14 pm

I sense we are slowly coming to some kind of agreement...might take a few months but we'll get there! lol. The Bish has also been guilty of some glaring misses from close range! You are right when you say that his presence makes space for others....Yengi/Kamara etc....but of late not often enough. Agree that he's featured in defence as a calming, clearing influence...Perhaps try him at left back? (Joke).