Your Team vs Burton (assuming no Sparkes and Lang)

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Your Team vs Burton (assuming no Sparkes and Lang)

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Given that both Sparkes and Lang had to leave the game vs Blackpool with injuries I am going to assume that neither is going to be fit for the game vs Burton on Tuesday 12th.

With Oglivie out for 3-4 weeks too Pompey have no fit left backs. What is your team and formation therefore for the must win home game?

I am going for an attacking side to compensate for a lack of a natural left back. I am going to bring in Towler and Swanson for Sparkes and Rafferty and play effectively in a 3-5-2 formation with Lane and Swanson as attacking full-backs/wing backs.

Moxon for MPH for me into a midfield three with MPH and then Yengi up front with Bishop. Lee Evans comes into the bench for me too and I am not a fan of Martin and given the formation and the injury situation Whyte and Scully come onto the bench.

As good as kamara it may help him to take a breather

It also gives the opportunity to rest a few players for the game on Saturday at Peterborough and then the run of Barnsley (H), Wycombe (a) and Derby (H).

Norris,
Swanson
Shaughnessy,
Raggett,
Towler,
Lane
Pack,
Moxon,
MPH
Yengi
Bishop

Subs: Macey, Rafferty, Evans, Saydee, Kamara, Whyte, Scully.

In possession this team is more a 3-2-3-2 .......five players hunting goals and five players forming a strong foundation from which to build from. Out of possession it is 3-5-2. With all the injuries I think attack on Tuesday may be the best form of defence

What team and formation do you think we should go for on Tuesday?
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: Your Team vs Burton (assuming no Sparkes and Lang)

Post by Pompey55 »

I am a firm believer in if it's not broken don't fix it so thats why I can't see a change in formation just a few personnel changed
So if no Sparkes then Towler
Drop MPH being in Moxon
But try Yengi / Bishop together one or the other dropping off to supply the other most likely Bishop holding the ball up to use Yengi 's pace but also releasing the 2 wingers which was sorely missed for large parts on Saturday
Or swapping to let Yengi break the line to supply the more natural finisher in Bishop
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

It is going to be interesting to see what Mousinho does. We have Peterborough at the weekend but we need a win vs Burton. I would be surprised if either of Lang or Sparkes make it following ankle injuries on Saturday forced them off.

Sparkes was pictured using crutches to leave the stadium after the game - it may have been precautionary but he would have been stuck inside a coach for 5 hours after the game just getting back to Pompey and I doubt a kick and cut to his ankle is going to be feeling much better by Tuesday night.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I think one of the recognised right backs will play left back, so either Rafferty or Swanson.
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

I'd be surprised if we changed shape, and I'd also be surprised if we started with both Bishop and Yengi (although wouldn't be against it).

Would expect Swanson to fill in at left back if needed, as I think he did play there at times in his spell as an Arsenal youth player. Might well be that Moxon comes in to play alongside Pack and we push MPH forward to play off Bishop (or Yengi).

Either way, after what they've done this season I trust JM and his staff to make the right calls. They seem to be very level headed and calm, which should be a good asset in the next few weeks full of stress!
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I think it is likely that Mousinho sticks to his preferred 4-2-3-1 formation too.

I can't see Burton doing anything but putting 10 or all eleven players behind the ball on Tuesday night and challenge Pompey to break them down. Hence why I see that Sparkes being out is an opportunity to play two strikers from the start and the formation change for me becomes an option so as to maintain width and to get crosses into the box.

I too can see Swanson or Towler being used as an emergency left back but I hope that Mousinho is brave enough to put out a team that is capable of breaking Burton down and scoring the goals to get those vital three points on Tuesday night.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

It might be a bluff by Moushino but he is saying Sparkes is fine for tomorrow and Lang 50/50 but certain for the weekend if so it's good news considering the pictures from Saturday of crutches and protective boot
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

The protective bought might have been Langs choice so he didn't catch anything from the streets of Blackpool.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

really good news about Sparkes - he starts vs Burton obviously and Pompey play with a 4-2-3-1 formation

I'd be surprised to see Lang risked - perhaps a place on the bench? but given the size of the game at Peterborough you'd think Mousinho would give him the week to rest and improve his ankle and not risk him vs Burton. MPH or Saydee can easily play as the 10 and give Lang the rest he needs to be firing on all cylinders for Peterborough and beyond