Burton Albion

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Re: Burton Albion

Post by Mickemo »

phat_chris wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:30 pm 2-1. Nervous last 10 minutes coming up.
Yep esp as all the chasing pack are all winning, Bolton are thrashing Oxford 5-0 with 17 mins to go
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by phat_chris »

2-1 FT. We maintain the 5 point gap. Important win. Bring on Peterborough!
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Pompski! »

Top 4 all won. That was an essential 3 points to keep the momentum going.
The Derby game is going to be interesting! On TV too so we are bound to slip up!
I am me, the universe and you.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

Yes !! Well done Pompey, take those 3 points - massive!

Take a moment to celebrate then get focused on beating PBoro on Saturday
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Mickemo wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:47 pm Yes !! Well done Pompey, take those 3 points - massive!

At the end of the day a good professional performance against a team intent on frustrating us who's only attacking plan was to a win throw in in our half and lump it into the box
We should have buried them before that tactic actually worked
At the end of the day another game another 3 points if we keep on equalling or bettering other teams results then we are still in the driving seat
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

Mickemo wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:47 pm Yes !! Well done Pompey, take those 3 points - massive!

I will quite happily take a point in Saturday
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Frantically refreshing BBC Sports when we were in the late stages of the game praying we didn’t concede an equaliser. Good news is even though we rested a few players we came away with the points. All about the mentality now of the team and fans to see us over the finish line. I won’t stop worrying until we are mathematically guaranteed to get promoted.

How did MPH do in the more forward role the line up seemed to suggest?
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Good win, made more nervy than it needed to be. Created fair number of chances in the first half just couldn't capitalise.

Unfamiliar shape, and a lot of players out injured, we cannot complain.

Two big games coming up now - I'd be happy with two points, but think really need to be looking at 4 plus.
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

Professional job done and could easily have been over before they pulled one back, but that last fifteen minutes felt never ending.

We were very patient in the first half, got our reward eventually from the penalty but also had several other decent chances (notably the one Yengi somehow missed, it was right in front of me and there was a total look of shock on his face when he realised it hadn't gone in!)

Second half we worked the second goal really well and at that point should have killed the game off better. They always looked like their best route to scoring was a set piece and it was from that where they pulled one back with ten minutes left. My heart was in my mouth when Swanson lunged into a tackle in our box soon afterwards but the ref (who had turned down a couple of other very good shouts for us) decided there wasn't enough in it. At least he was consistent I guess!

In terms of individual performances, I was really impressed with Moxon. He and Pack controlled the midfield between them and both were constantly encouraging and driving others on (Shaughnessy also looked to be organising things at the back). MPH looked better when he was able to turn and drive forward with the ball (which did make me understand why we previously tried him in a deeper role but thought he was more effective further forward and could easily have won a penalty in the second half which would also have seen Brayford sent off before he scored).

Bishop won several free kicks in his cameo from the bench which really helped relieve the pressure. It will be interesting to see whether he or Yengi get the nod on Saturday, if nothing else it adds a bit of uncertainty for Peterborough's preparation.

Eight more to go, well done lads - go on and make yourselves heroes. Seems a really tight knit group of players and staff and despite everything that's been thrown at us with injuries, have put a really good run together at just the right time. Tougher tests to come for sure but we've given ourselves the best possible chance.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Div III. Call it what it is.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Please don't take anymore penalties like that
Div III. Call it what it is.
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

PeteM wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:46 pm I was really impressed with Moxon. He and Pack controlled the midfield between them and both were constantly encouraging and driving others on (Shaughnessy also looked to be organising things at the back).
Yes I thought Moxon got better as the game went on and looked more forceful in the 2nd half. The News only gave him a 6 but I think a 7. Pack and Kamara were outstanding for me - Kamara's tricks and Pack's passing are a joy to watch. Saydee is a real force. Sometimes it looks like he's lost the ball only to suddenly come away with it. Some decent passes as well.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Sam_Brown wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:08 pm Frantically refreshing BBC Sports when we were in the late stages of the game praying we didn’t concede an equaliser. Good news is even though we rested a few players we came away with the points. All about the mentality now of the team and fans to see us over the finish line. I won’t stop worrying until we are mathematically guaranteed to get promoted.

How did MPH do in the more forward role the line up seemed to suggest?
If you go on the Club`s website they do a more comprehensive blow by blow written commentary on the match as it happens much better than the BBC. Yes MPH did OK , no mistakes and very much part of the attack on the left flank
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman

Post by Pompey55 »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:50 am

Please don't take anymore penalties like that
And don't miss to many more from a yard out. Only just realised just how bad a miss it was in the first half
meakinsl
Milan Mandaric
Been liked: 6 times

Post by meakinsl »

Yengi had quite the night, all came good in the end, luckily I was out so didn’t have the stress following it for last 10, crucial 3 points given other results, a draw in the derby Bolton game Saturday would be a bonus, tough game for us but 3 points out of that and in good shape.