How Other Fans See Pompey Fans.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

SportMouth
Collins Mbesuma
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

How Other Fans See Pompey Fans.

Post by SportMouth »

I always check our next opponent's Fan Forums..pre and post game to gain their assessment of the game
and Pompey generally.
Two opinions seem to be common, the first is that they have 'seen better than us' and don't understand how
we are top of the league. The second is more puzzling....many see our support as 'arrogant'...away fans in
particular. They seem to think Pompey fans show up and expect to win every game with ease.
Dunno about anyone else but I've travelled all over the UK with Pompey...and not once have I noticed ANY
expectation of us winning. There's hope..but that's natural..but it's hope mixed with a genuine dread at the
sky falling in on us! Is it because the fans keep singing in spite of going two down in first 10 minutes? Is this what
other fans mean?
This said, most fans acknowledge the strength of Pompey's support...in numbers and passion. Is it simply jealousy?
Have been surprised at the negativity towards own side shown by Barnsley and Derby fans in particular...they seem
to have a very low opinion of their own qualities.
Do we 'deserve' to be top of the league? It's a daft question....yes because we're...top of the league. Am wondering
if it might be case that the position..in itself..is enough to change the way teams play against us..changing the way
they approach the game?
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Re: How Other Fans See Pompey Fans.

Post by jam tomorrow »

SportMouth wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:08 pm I always check our next opponent's Fan Forums..pre and post game to gain their assessment of the game
and Pompey generally.
Two opinions seem to be common, the first is that they have 'seen better than us' and don't understand how
we are top of the league. The second is more puzzling....many see our support as 'arrogant'...away fans in
particular. They seem to think Pompey fans show up and expect to win every game with ease.
Dunno about anyone else but I've travelled all over the UK with Pompey...and not once have I noticed ANY
expectation of us winning. There's hope..but that's natural..but it's hope mixed with a genuine dread at the
sky falling in on us! Is it because the fans keep singing in spite of going two down in first 10 minutes? Is this what
other fans mean?
This said, most fans acknowledge the strength of Pompey's support...in numbers and passion. Is it simply jealousy?
Have been surprised at the negativity towards own side shown by Barnsley and Derby fans in particular...they seem
Do we 'deserve' to be top of the league? It's a daft question....yes because we're...top of the league. Am wondering
if it might be case that the position..in itself..is enough to change the way teams play against us..changing the way
they approach the game?
I agree with your observations regarding the low esteem most other fans have of our team, I think because we are a big side in terms of our standings they have greater expectations of us. In fact the consensus is we won’t survive the Championship based on the level of football they have seen from us. I agree we will need to strengthen once we go up but their opinions are based on an injury hit squad who have done well under extreme circumstances, players like Poole Morrell Lowery are surely at Championship level?
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
SportMouth
Collins Mbesuma
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: How Other Fans See Pompey Fans.

Post by SportMouth »

jam tomorrow wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:45 pm
SportMouth wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:08 pm I always check our next opponent's Fan Forums..pre and post game to gain their assessment of the game
and Pompey generally.
other fans mean?
they approach the game?
I agree with your observations regarding the low esteem most other fans have of our team, I think because we are a big side in terms of our standings they have greater expectations of us. In fact the consensus is we won’t survive the Championship based on the level of football they have seen from us. I agree we will need to strengthen once we go up but their opinions are based on an injury hit squad who have done well under extreme circumstances, players like Poole Morrell Lowery are surely at Championship level?
Agree with you. I watched Notts Forest gain promotion with the worst display I've seen from a team about to go up.
I predicted that if they didn't replace at least half that team they'd come down with lowest points ever,,,they were that bad.
The same I fear applies to current Pompey squad.....yes, IF whole squad were to return to consistent full fitness AND if
they were all 'ours' I reckon we could be competitive in Championship. Have to say I've kinda lost track of who we have
on loan and who we have as 'our own'. It's all very well saying IF we had a fully fit squad...but we don't and all the players
we are missing have shown that they could equally easily be on treatment table within weeks in Championship.
Perhaps...maybe...the requirements of Championship football will be more to our style....what works in L1 isn't necessarily
what cuts it in Champ. Need to remember..promotion..whilst great..is a means to an end rather than an end in itself...
Good excuse for a party mind! lol.