New England Kit

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Re: New England Kit

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Blue Walter wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:21 pm
GreenBlue wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:22 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:18 pm Personally I hope England, I won't say 'we' as some might find that offensive, win and win well.
I will always say 'we' when referring to Pompey, England, the Uk, Europe or the World.

I hope it is kind of tongue in cheek when you say that some may be offended if you refer to your own country as we.
Well not really. The view that calling the other team a foreign team seems to upset some people. As I see it we were playing Brazil which is another nation, it was billed as an international match, so referring to my team as England might be offensive.
I must have missed the post that suggested that we must not call our national football team "we".
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by phat_chris »

GreenBlue wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:54 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:18 pm Personally I hope England, I won't say 'we' as some might find that offensive, win and win well.
I will always say 'we' when referring to Pompey, England, the Uk, Europe or the World.

I hope it is kind of tongue in cheek when you say that some may be offended if you refer to your own country as we.
Well not really. The view that calling the other team a foreign team seems to upset some people. As I see it we were playing Brazil which is another nation, it was billed as an international match, so referring to my team as England might be offensive.
I must have missed the post that suggested that we must not call our national football team "we".
There wasn't one. He just created a strawman to get upset about.
itsaintfunny
Mick Channon
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by itsaintfunny »

Blue Walter wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:25 pm
itsaintfunny wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:16 pm Just make me a foe and you won't see my messages, its not difficult.
Personally, the fact that you can come on this site as a supporter of our biggest rival is testament to show just how civilised football fans can be. I think that it is credit to yourself and members of this board that you do. Scummer.
Thank you Walter, my Dad was Pompey born and bred and I started 'talking ' to Pompey fans shortly after his death a long time ago.
Anyhow its good to know . DINLO.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

phat_chris wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:19 am

I suppose 'strawman' is new trendy word for you to use.
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Been liked: 45 times

Post by phat_chris »

Blue Walter wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:33 am
phat_chris wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:19 am

I suppose 'strawman' is new trendy word for you to use.
I suppose since you can't refute it, you'll just try to dodge it.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

itsaintfunny wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:05 am
Blue Walter wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:25 pm
itsaintfunny wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:16 pm Just make me a foe and you won't see my messages, its not difficult.
Personally, the fact that you can come on this site as a supporter of our biggest rival is testament to show just how civilised football fans can be. I think that it is credit to yourself and members of this board that you do. Scummer.
Thank you Walter, my Dad was Pompey born and bred and I started 'talking ' to Pompey fans shortly after his death a long time ago.
Anyhow its good to know . DINLO.

Why Dinlo, I thought we were being polite to each other? I have been called a 'skate' by Saints supporting friends, which I thought was the uncomplimentary name for Pompey supporters.

When Saints won the cup I thought my wife committed the most disloyal act. I was devastated at the thought of them winning with all the gloating at work from Saints fans. On the following Monday when I got home from work she put up newspaper headlines and pictures from the final around the house. I thought that most disloyal of her, I did actually cop. On the local news it was all about Saints cup win which wound me up even more. While I was watching the 'special' TV program covering the cup being brought back to Southampton with all the rigmarole that goes with it I was suddenly struck down with a touch of humility. I realised that in that joyous crowd were people I knew, friends and colleagues, people that I liked as friends. When a friend gets bad news you feel for them and, equally, good news you are pleased for them. When I saw what it meant to them my displeasure drifted away.
itsaintfunny
Mick Channon

Post by itsaintfunny »

Your last word to me in your original message was Scummer which I think is impolite in itself.
I did not respond with the obvious reply but used one of my Dads words [dinlo] so stop squinnying .
:lol:
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

itsaintfunny wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:07 pm Your last word to me in your original message was Scummer which I think is impolite in itself.
I did not respond with the obvious reply but used one of my Dads words [dinlo] so stop squinnying .
:lol:
OK, fair enough, although I wasn't meaning to be impolite. I was just jokingly inappropriate. Dinlo is a term I haven't heard for a long time and it was usually used to mean idiot.
itsaintfunny
Mick Channon

Post by itsaintfunny »

My Dad said it meant a twerp [now there's an old word for you ] but I have no problem with you so lets move on.
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

It’s nearly half a century ago now but the Bobby Stokes final cured me of visceral hatred for Saints. About a week after the event it struck me that this was about as it could ever get, so no point begrudging them any success.

Obviously relegations and such were a source of quiet satisfaction but I don’t really care how they do, other than against us of course.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:55 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:24 pm
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:57 pm
eltorrro wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:36 pm
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:46 pm
.....that is after all why people blame immigrants isn't it?
Actually, no!! and you are attempting to misinterpret what others have said; namely it is not immigrants per se only those economic migrants that arrive with absolutely nothing having heard on the grape vine that once in the UK they are given free accommodation, benefits and spending money!

If you can't appreciate how that situation riles a very large percentage of the population it is obviously impossible to sensibly conduct a conversation with you.
The situation you have outlined isn't true though. Do you get so riled by other fairy tales?

Immigrants are net contributions to the economy, and are less likely to claim benefits.
So you believe in fairy tales then. Many undoubtedly do but those that hope across the Channel or arrive here illegally are a drain on the economy.
Personally I believe that as a nation we should provide refuge to those in need and who are, or who at risk of persecution in their own country. In 2022 75% of initial decisions were approved for asylum or other protection. An asylum seeker lives off around £7 per day. £7.

There are over 1000 people in the medical profession who arrived as refugees or asylum seekers - real drain on the economy that one.

As a nation we have done it before, and I hope we continue to do it again. To me that is a British value, and it's something we should be proud of.

Which is ironic, as it's what so many people who are so proud of their country get so het up about.

Am I saying everyone landing on these shores is an angel or her for the right reason, no. I'd like to think that if I or our nation had a time of need that we would be welcomed to other parts of the world.

Ultimately, the only thing separating us from them is the lottery of life and the vagina, we just happend to enter this world from.

All my lads mates are desperate for the new England shirt too - probably all woke snowflakes.

75% have human rights lawyers telling them what to say. Tell them you're gay and will be murdered if you go back home. We know how that goes.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Pompey55 »

I really can’t understand how a simple question regarding the pointless change of a flag has turned into a debate about the merits of immigration legal or not it seems to me that some are obsessed with this false narrative that as a country we are better without other cultures than that of a religion which has a head of a church because one of his very distant ancestors could not get a divorce
I actually find some of this narrative extremely unsavory to say the least and guess in future it’s best to stick to moaning about football matters
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 32 times

Post by StMonkton »

I agree.

Get a weekend without a Pompey game and see where we end up.

It’ll be the same in the Summer I fear.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

I can’t find the post now. It was about cutting socks. I’ve got pretty muscly legs (everything else is flabby lol) and any socks off the shelves are way too tight for me to the point it hurts. And that’s without putting shin pads on!

You’d have thought professional footballers and the amount of money in the game would allow for them to get some socks that sodding fit!
Coeli lux nostra ductrix