Looking ahead to the Championship

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 47 times

Looking ahead to the Championship

Post by phat_chris »

With promotion secured, I thought it might be interesting to take a look at our squad from the lens of playing at a higher level and trying to analyse where we are strongest and where we may need to improve going forward.

Let's start at the back.

GK: Norris has proved to be a fantastic keeper at L1 level and I'd be more than happy with him moving up. However we will require a suitable backup signed to cover for him and push him. Schofield is not up to it. Macey's contract was only until the summer.

RB: Rafferty has been a class act for us at RB and Swanson has proved to be an able replacement when called upon. In a pinch even Devlin proved reliable when played here. No additions needed.

CB: Shoughnessy has been outstanding. An ever present, reliable defender who chips in with goals at the other end. Poole, before his injury, was our standout defender. Provided he fully recovers, he'll do well in the championship. McIntyre didn't have the opportunity to show us his class, but I don't doubt his ability. 2 from these 3 should be our first choice. Raggett is Mr reliable as a backup. Tower I feel needs game time so might be sent out on loan. If he does, we might see a loan come in to replace him.

LB: I have concerns here. Ogilvie missed half the season with injury and while Sparkes filled in well, contributing to the meanest defence, is the Championship a step too far? I'd like to see us sign a new first choice LB if a suitable option becomes available.

CM: Pack has been fantastic, both as a captain and as a centre midfielder. His distribution seems to have gotten even better as the season went on. Morrell, before his injury, was regarded as a level above L1. He'll do well in the championship. Lowery has missed most of the last 2 seasons with injury. It's a shame because he has quality, but maybe it's time to move on. Moxon, I've liked the look of when he has played. Evans, haven't seen enough, but he does have experience at Championship. May be worth a longer contract. Devlin is one for the future. Probably worth loaning out, but not against keeping as a versatile backup player. Stevenson will be out of his depth.

AM: Lane has been excellent. Really made the left side his own contributing both goals and assists, but also covering back to protect his fullback. Scully got injured early. Needs to go out on loan to regain fitness and form if he has any chance to get back in our side. Lang looks a class act. Whyte has had his issue, but has shown glimpses of quality. I doubt we'll loan him out. I hope a good summer off and preseason will help him get back to his best. Saydee I will lump him in here because I like him in that 10 role. He has a way of causing the opposition problems. Martin hasn't shown enough so has to go. We are light here and need to strengthen. I'd like to see us sign 2 or 3 quality players to fill our needs here. You'll notice I haven't mentioned any of our loanees here. I'll come back to them later.

CF: Bishop is class. Gets goals but does so much more for the team that keeps it ticking. Yengi gives us something different. Has scored at a decent rate and his pace will be important in the Championship. We are obviously light here. Need to sign 1 more.

Loanees: Kamara has been a revelation. I'd love to see us sign him permanently, or at least on another season long loan if Norwich won't sell. Regardless this position needs to be filled with quality and we should push our budget to fill it. Robertson was class and should he be fit by next season, I'd like to see us loan him again. MPH hasn't shown enough. Anjorin has unfortunately spent most of the season injured. There have been glimpses of quality there when he has played. If we could get him on a free, I'd take him.

In summary, the most glaring place we need to strengthen going into the Championship is in those AM roles and most of our budget needs to be pushed in this area with 2 or 3 quality signings made. We need a 3rd striker, a backup keeper and I'd like to see a new left back. We have the basis of a team capable of competing, we just need a few additions in those key areas. I have full confidence that the club will bring in the right people to fill those needed roles.

What are everyone else's thoughts on this?
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: Looking ahead to the Championship

Post by eltorrro »

phat_chris wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:37 pm With promotion secured, I thought it might be interesting to take a look at our squad from the lens of playing at a higher level and trying to analyse where we are strongest and where we may need to improve going forward.

Let's start at the back.

GK: Norris has proved to be a fantastic keeper at L1 level and I'd be more than happy with him moving up. However we will require a suitable backup signed to cover for him and push him. Schofield is not up to it. Macey's contract was only until the summer.

RB: Rafferty has been a class act for us at RB and Swanson has proved to be an able replacement when called upon. In a pinch even Devlin proved reliable when played here. No additions needed.

CB: Shoughnessy has been outstanding. An ever present, reliable defender who chips in with goals at the other end. Poole, before his injury, was our standout defender. Provided he fully recovers, he'll do well in the championship. McIntyre didn't have the opportunity to show us his class, but I don't doubt his ability. 2 from these 3 should be our first choice. Raggett is Mr reliable as a backup. Tower I feel needs game time so might be sent out on loan. If he does, we might see a loan come in to replace him.

LB: I have concerns here. Ogilvie missed half the season with injury and while Sparkes filled in well, contributing to the meanest defence, is the Championship a step too far? I'd like to see us sign a new first choice LB if a suitable option becomes available.

CM: Pack has been fantastic, both as a captain and as a centre midfielder. His distribution seems to have gotten even better as the season went on. Morrell, before his injury, was regarded as a level above L1. He'll do well in the championship. Lowery has missed most of the last 2 seasons with injury. It's a shame because he has quality, but maybe it's time to move on. Moxon, I've liked the look of when he has played. Evans, haven't seen enough, but he does have experience at Championship. May be worth a longer contract. Devlin is one for the future. Probably worth loaning out, but not against keeping as a versatile backup player. Stevenson will be out of his depth.

AM: Lane has been excellent. Really made the left side his own contributing both goals and assists, but also covering back to protect his fullback. Scully got injured early. Needs to go out on loan to regain fitness and form if he has any chance to get back in our side. Lang looks a class act. Whyte has had his issue, but has shown glimpses of quality. I doubt we'll loan him out. I hope a good summer off and preseason will help him get back to his best. Saydee I will lump him in here because I like him in that 10 role. He has a way of causing the opposition problems. Martin hasn't shown enough so has to go. We are light here and need to strengthen. I'd like to see us sign 2 or 3 quality players to fill our needs here. You'll notice I haven't mentioned any of our loanees here. I'll come back to them later.

CF: Bishop is class. Gets goals but does so much more for the team that keeps it ticking. Yengi gives us something different. Has scored at a decent rate and his pace will be important in the Championship. We are obviously light here. Need to sign 1 more.

Loanees: Kamara has been a revelation. I'd love to see us sign him permanently, or at least on another season long loan if Norwich won't sell. Regardless this position needs to be filled with quality and we should push our budget to fill it. Robertson was class and should he be fit by next season, I'd like to see us loan him again. MPH hasn't shown enough. Anjorin has unfortunately spent most of the season injured. There have been glimpses of quality there when he has played. If we could get him on a free, I'd take him.

In summary, the most glaring place we need to strengthen going into the Championship is in those AM roles and most of our budget needs to be pushed in this area with 2 or 3 quality signings made. We need a 3rd striker, a backup keeper and I'd like to see a new left back. We have the basis of a team capable of competing, we just need a few additions in those key areas. I have full confidence that the club will bring in the right people to fill those needed roles.

I can't disagree with anything you've said.
You are John Mousinho and I claim the £500 'Spot my Disguise' prize!! :lol:
PeteM
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PeteM »

phat_chris wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:37 pm With promotion secured, I thought it might be interesting to take a look at our squad from the lens of playing at a higher level and trying to analyse where we are strongest and where we may need to improve going forward.

Let's start at the back.

Think that's a very good summary of our current position. Was interesting hearing JM interviewed on Sky Sports News earlier and he confirmed that the recruitment and scouting departments have been drawing up potential plans for if the team made it to the Championship for the last couple of months, so we're well prepared for the summer already by the sound of it.
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 33 times

Post by StMonkton »

I was happy in the end last season that we didn’t make the playoffs so that next season planning started early.

Recruit early and well , pre -season with most of the squad in place means a smooth start in August.

I have been very impressed that the whole setup at Fratton looks very professional. There is a plan, we recruit to it and have a flexible approach to team selection.

Kudos to the management for setting it in place and of course to Hughes and Mousinho for outstanding implementation.

The analysis at the start of this thread was quite reassuring I found. I am confident the team will strengthen well. If our long term injured come back successfully it will be like a crop of new signings.

I don’t think we need crazy amounts of investment and obviously it is likely we’ll need a good mid season window. This season it worked wonders when it could all have fallen apart.

Here’s hoping.

Let’s have a month or so of satisfaction, it’s felt like a long and draining season and next time might be harder!
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

I'm going to shout out for Saydee as he has massive potential I think. Determination, quick thinking and skill. Not the fastest physically but he is able to think fast which is a big advantage. He turned the game last night.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Blue Walter »

This is the period where sentiment & loyalty goes out of the window very often. A promoted team often have a clear out of players that the club doesn't deem good enough for the next level above. Going from League Two to League One doesn't mean too much change. Going higher from League One to Championship sees the quality needed that much higher and then from Championship to Premiership even more turnover. Quite possibly the real reason for not talking about new contracts during this season is because the club wanted to see where it was going to be next season and renew contracts on those players that are deemed able to make the transaction to the higher level.

This is where I fear we could be losing a great Pompey stalwart in Raggett. He has never let the club down and has become a reliable and loyal player for this club. While I think Raggett is a top player at League One level I wonder if he has the ability to play at Championship level. I would like the club to award him a contract to give him time to see if he can bridge that quality gap and as a reward for the recognition of his service he has given this club.
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Been liked: 47 times

Post by phat_chris »

Blue Walter wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:09 pm This is the period where sentiment & loyalty goes out of the window very often. A promoted team often have a clear out of players that the club doesn't deem good enough for the next level above. Going from League Two to League One doesn't mean too much change. Going higher from League One to Championship sees the quality needed that much higher and then from Championship to Premiership even more turnover. Quite possibly the real reason for not talking about new contracts during this season is because the club wanted to see where it was going to be next season and renew contracts on those players that are deemed able to make the transaction to the higher level.

This is where I fear we could be losing a great Pompey stalwart in Raggett. He has never let the club down and has become a reliable and loyal player for this club. While I think Raggett is a top player at League One level I wonder if he has the ability to play at Championship level. I would like the club to award him a contract to give him time to see if he can bridge that quality gap and as a reward for the recognition of his service he has given this club.
I completely agree about Raggett. He more than deserves a new contract. He's that old school type of defender you need at the club. Totally dependable and able to come in whenever he's needed. He's exactly what we need as a backup defender. As we've seen from this season, injuries will happen and having reliable replacements to come in when needed is crucial.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I think that our current playing staff is short of Championship quality players and can be pigeon holed in three different categories. Those players that have Championship ready quality, those players that might develop into Championship quality and those that are not going to make it.

I think in the first category there is Poole, Shaughnessy, Rafferty, Swanson, Morrell, Pack, Norris, Lang and McIntyre.

I think the second category has the more intriguing and debatable questions concerning the players. I think Bishop could step up but would have to adapt because of his lack of pace and that he has never played at the higher level. For me Lane is a player that if he had pace and trickery to go with his goals and work rate he would be in the Championship already, or higher. The more I see Saydee the more I see potential rather than seeing a limited talent battering ram that I saw him as earlier in the season. I think Ogilvie could step up but I see him as purely a defensive player as I don't think he will be able to make much impact going forward in the Championship. Yengi is a player who could well find his level in the next level above or a step too far but I wouldn't like to make a guess on that one. Devlin is a maturing player with potential but it remains to be seen where or how far that goes. I don't think Sparkes is good enough as a full back in League One but has other attributes going forward that may well be useful in the Championship but there is less reliance on balls being sent into the area in the Championship than in League One. This where I wonder whether the Championship will be too far for him. Towler hasn't been able to shift Shaughnessy from the team but he does have potential and he may see his future elsewhere. Moxon is another one that is difficult to see making a splash in the Championship because his style is very much League One in my view. I think Evans can make the step if he can stay fit, which is the same for Lowery.

The players in the third category are obviously those not mentioned or I have simply forgot but I don't think Stevenson, Whyte & Scully have done enough to suggest that they should be performing at the next level. No doubt people will disagree with my assessment but it is only my view.
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Did Ipswich splash the cash to get where they are at the moment? I'd be happy with us staying up next season and am certainly not expecting a promotion push - would be incredible though.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I think it will be a case of strengthening and tweaking rather than wholesale changes.

Take Ragget for example, I think he's a good option to have in the squad, he's a bit different to some of the more cultured defenders. Never gets down and gets his head down and gets on with it. I'd be happy if we offered him a contract, and I'd be happy if he signed. Equally, if he was offered a contract and decided he wanted to be more than a squad player at this stage of his career then, I'd understand.

I don't think we need huge investment, and I do think there will be some money to spend. I'd rather we spent sensibly than loads.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Been liked: 157 times

Post by Pompey55 »

Touch of dejavu in that many of us mention the need for an attacking midfield player this time last season and in my view is going to be the critical position this coming season as well
Saydee could be a solution if he continues to mature
I would hope may be having moved up to the championship that Citeh may let us have Robertson for another season he certainly has an affinity with the club and fans having turned up in the away end at Bolton
Sawbo Blue
Robbie Pethick
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Sawbo Blue »

NSRailings wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:32 am Did Ipswich splash the cash to get where they are at the moment? I'd be happy with us staying up next season and am certainly not expecting a promotion push - would be incredible though.
What Ipswich have done is amazing. However I think we should try and avoid comparing ourselves to Ipswich as setting ourselves unrealistic expectations. Ipswich spent an absolute bucket load on assembling their Championship level squad in the 2 years before they actually got promoted, it was simply a managerial change that made the difference for them. Pompey's squad has cost far less.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

I think re-loaning Alex Robertson will be key to our success next season.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Selsey Bill wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:15 pm I think re-loaning Alex Robertson will be key to our success next season.
must be in their mind to loan himout again, he isnt going to be in their first team on a regular basis, at least he should get good game time with us. and if they do loan him out, you would think the affinity he has with the cub,and the success he had before the injury would mean we would be high on their list of clubs to send hom to. Of course money talks and another club willing to give more will jump the queue
I would love to see Kamara back too, I think in the second half of the season he has really come to life and would be great to see him continue to grow as a player with us trouble is when a player has impressed like that, hard to get the parent club to part ways, hopefully Norwich will see the benfit of him being here at least on loan for another season, if we could buy even better
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

my comments in red :-)

totally agree with your view but alot of players are out of contract and some are 30 or higher in age so that may have a strong bearing in who the club want to retain going forward into the Championship.

With promotion secured, I thought it might be interesting to take a look at our squad from the lens of playing at a higher level and trying to analyse where we are strongest and where we may need to improve going forward.

Let's start at the back.

RB: Rafferty has been a class act for us at RB and Swanson has proved to be an able replacement when called upon. In a pinch even Devlin proved reliable when played here. No additions needed. Agreed, but Rafferty is out of contract and it wouldn't be a complete shock for Pompey to give the first team space to Swanson and sign someone younger or more content to play a utility/back up role. Raferty is 31yo in October so perhaps he wants (and he deserves) guaranteed to be first choice at his age and perhaps a longer contract than Pompey want to give. Swanson is also out of contract but Pompey hold an option for next season so I am going to assume they exercise that and Swanson is definitely retained.

CB: Shoughnessy has been outstanding. An ever present, reliable defender who chips in with goals at the other end. Poole, before his injury, was our standout defender. Provided he fully recovers, he'll do well in the championship. McIntyre didn't have the opportunity to show us his class, but I don't doubt his ability. 2 from these 3 should be our first choice. Raggett is Mr reliable as a backup. Tower I feel needs game time so might be sent out on loan. If he does, we might see a loan come in to replace him. Agreed. Raggett is out of contract and he is 31yo. I could see Pompey offering him a one year deal but I could see him being in demand in L1 and a club there offering him a 2y deal and making him club captain. Hugely popular Pompey player - has a decent case as player of the season - but I suspect this Saturday will actually be his last home game for Pompey

CM: Pack has been fantastic, both as a captain and as a centre midfielder. His distribution seems to have gotten even better as the season went on. Morrell, before his injury, was regarded as a level above L1. He'll do well in the championship. Lowery has missed most of the last 2 seasons with injury. It's a shame because he has quality, but maybe it's time to move on. Moxon, I've liked the look of when he has played. Evans, haven't seen enough, but he does have experience at Championship. May be worth a longer contract. Devlin is one for the future. Probably worth loaning out, but not against keeping as a versatile backup player. Stevenson will be out of his depth. Agree but Pack is 33yo and out of contract. Morrell is also out of contract but the club have an option so I expect them to exercise that and he will be back. Stevenson I suspect will be available for transfer on a free this summer and I suspect Evans will be offered a one year contract to return - he may get a better deal elsewhere though. I wouldn't be surprised to see Robertson return on loan from City and Moxon, Morrell and Robertson is a decent foundation in the central midfield areas but more is needed in the transfer window as currently only Lowery and Devlin provide any depth for this position. I hope that Anjorin is not invited back at this point but again I would not be surprised to see him return on loan next season too.

AM: Lane has been excellent. Really made the left side his own contributing both goals and assists, but also covering back to protect his fullback. Scully got injured early. Needs to go out on loan to regain fitness and form if he has any chance to get back in our side. Lang looks a class act. Whyte has had his issue, but has shown glimpses of quality. I doubt we'll loan him out. I hope a good summer off and preseason will help him get back to his best. Saydee I will lump him in here because I like him in that 10 role. He has a way of causing the opposition problems. Martin hasn't shown enough so has to go. We are light here and need to strengthen. I'd like to see us sign 2 or 3 quality players to fill our needs here. You'll notice I haven't mentioned any of our loanees here. I'll come back to them later. If Kamara does not return then we miss pace and assists from the right side and there is no depth (sorry Whyte and Scully but you have both failed to convince this season and now are fighting for a squad place next season and I would not be too upset to see either loaned out or sold if a better option can be found. Whyte for example has been completely outplayed by Kamara making his debut in league football) behind Lane and a true left winger to challenge Lane is a key transfer target for me in the summer. We need two quality signings imho (one right, one left side) here and perhaps a true creative no.10 player in the summer. I agree this is where some money is going to have to be spent to get the right players to supplement Lane, Lang and Saydee who will all return and are good enough for the Championship level.

CF: Bishop is class. Gets goals but does so much more for the team that keeps it ticking. Yengi gives us something different. Has scored at a decent rate and his pace will be important in the Championship. We are obviously light here. Need to sign 1 more. at least one - preferably two (one proven at Championship level or high L1 and one up and coming player like Yengi/Saydee for me please).