Wigan

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 65 times

Wigan

Post by NSRailings »

The least hungover will start.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 129 times

Re: Wigan

Post by Blue Walter »

It is going to be great going to a match without the tension of our last few games. Obviously I want us to win but the result is not crucial so we can actually enjoy the game, which will make a nice change.

There again we want to reach 100 points. Now I am starting to worry.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

NSRailings wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:55 am The least hungover will start.
I wonder whether Mousinho will give squad players a run out or field the players who have got us over the line. That is drink related problems taken into consideration.
StMonkton
Gary O'Neil
Been liked: 33 times

Post by StMonkton »

Just looking forward to a stress free Saturday afternoon. They don’t come round very often.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I think they will want 100 points and to keep the run going.

Momentum can be huge.
NSRailings
Alan Knight

Post by NSRailings »

Blue Walter wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:15 am
I wonder whether Mousinho will give squad players a run out or field the players who have got us over the line. That is drink related problems taken into consideration.
Lane was out of it on Radio Solent on Wednesday evening. Couldn't stop giggling :smt030

Maybe we'll get super Matt Macey in goal. Who knows with Mousinho. Have a good time all.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

NSRailings wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:04 am
Blue Walter wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:15 am
Lane was out of it on Radio Solent on Wednesday evening. Couldn't stop giggling :smt030

Maybe we'll get super Matt Macey in goal. Who knows with Mousinho. Have a good time all.
Yes I heard that interview and he sounded a bit silly. There was talk that while he was being interviewed one of the players was 'mooning' at him which caused the giggling in his interview.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by New Forester »

I remember being at the last match of the season in 1987 when we were promoted to the First Division. We lost! 1-2 to Sheffield United. Interesting to look at the table. Look where Brighton finished. Times have changed.
IMG_2166.png
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
NSRailings
Alan Knight

Post by NSRailings »

Norris, Rafferty, Raggett, Shaughnessy, Ogilvie, Moxon, Pack (c), Kamara, Saydee, Lang, Bishop

Subs: Macey, Sparkes, Evans, Anjorin, Peart-Harris, Lane, Yengi

Nice...
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

Everyone suffering from hangovers?
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

It’s around 6.30am the day after Pompey’s rare defeat. Has nobody an opinion about the match and how the presentation went?I’m afraid I wasn’t well enough to get to the game but did manage to sell on ticket exchange so was pleased someone else was able to go.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

I am sorry you were unwell and couldn't make the match and celebrations, but I hope you are feeling better now.

As for the game I would say Wigan just about shaded the first half but we should have been a goal up after 10 minutes when Bishop missed an absolute sitter. I can't quite remember how it came about but their keeper was way out of his area. Bishop got the ball up just inside the Pompey half from a misplaced pass and had the whole of the Wigan half to himself with the keeper stranded outside his area. He carried the ball forward and could have lobbed the keeper or with no one near him could of took the ball forward closer and put it in from closer range. He chose to shoot from distance and missed the target completely. After that both sides played attractive football at times with Wigan creating the better chances. They deservedly took the lead and should have been comfortably ahead by half time. Wigan then went two goals up, again deservedly, and dominated for long periods. Pompey made changes and spent the last 20 minutes or so using the 'kitchen sink' tactic and, I think, we're unfortunate not to at least get a draw. Lots of near misses and saves by both keeper's but after getting one back we suffered a rare defeat. Both sides made numerous changes using their full quota of subs. I don't think it was lack of effort from Pompey as they chased an equaliser with plenty of passion and desire. I have to say that Raggett played a contract winning game, in my view, and had a great game. I really hope that isn't the last time I see him in a Pompey shirt.

As for the presentation I found it a bit of an anti climax. I don't think any of the Pompey players really knew what to do. I can't believe we have gone the whole season without the loudspeaker being fixed and the intermittent announcements were barely audible. Nevertheless, everyone was in a good mood and it was great to see the team crowned as champions.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

Many thanks. I managed just one visit. The 3-0 Leyton Orient defeat! Built a decent credit from ticket exchange towards renewal of season which I hope to make better use of next season. Thanks for the match report. Sounds like the fans caused no trouble during the presentation. What a relief we won on Tuesday!
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

New Forester wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:59 am Many thanks. I managed just one visit. The 3-0 Leyton Orient defeat! Built a decent credit from ticket exchange towards renewal of season which I hope to make better use of next season. Thanks for the match report. Sounds like the fans caused no trouble during the presentation. What a relief we won on Tuesday!
Yes, I wondered how the game would have gone had we needed the points, or Wigan for that matter. The game was definitely competitive and was approached by both teams wanting to win. I think Mousinho fielded a team to win the game and the players were committed on both sides. The crowd did behave themselves and I don't think too many people were upset that we lost.

Oddly enough I missed the Orient game, which from what I understand was a blessing. Anyway I hope you are able to come to more games next season and that we have a good one.