Sparkes' atrocious defending

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 50 times

Sparkes' atrocious defending

Post by phat_chris »

With the season concluded I thought I'd have a look back over the season looking particularly at our defensive record. As I did so I took particular interest in our clean sheets. We achieved 20 clean sheets in our 46 L1 matches, a pretty impressive feat IMO. Out of those Sparkes started in 10 and Ogilvie 8. Alot was said about Sparkes' defensive frailties, but it seems the statistics don't lend themselves to this opinion. He contributed to an impressively strong defence.

While on the subject, I'll make reference to another player who made a significant contribution to our sturdiness. We achieved a greater number of clean sheets in the first half of the season, a period where Morrell was a regular in the side. In fact he started in 12 matches where we achieved clean sheets. We certainly missed him after his injury. Thankfully we had enough goals in the team to overcome in the second half of the season.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 55 times

Re: Sparkes' atrocious defending

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

phat_chris wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:35 am With the season concluded I thought I'd have a look back over the season looking particularly at our defensive record. As I did so I took particular interest in our clean sheets. We achieved 20 clean sheets in our 46 L1 matches, a pretty impressive feat IMO. Out of those Sparkes started in 10 and Ogilvie 8. Alot was said about Sparkes' defensive frailties, but it seems the statistics don't lend themselves to this opinion. He contributed to an impressively strong defence.

While on the subject, I'll make reference to another player who made a significant contribution to our sturdiness. We achieved a greater number of clean sheets in the first half of the season, a period where Morrell was a regular in the side. In fact he started in 12 matches where we achieved clean sheets. We certainly missed him after his injury. Thankfully we had enough goals in the team to overcome in the second half of the season.
would like to see how many goals that sparkes also had a hand in compared to Ogilvie too

I am not saying sparkes is better than Ogilvie, but I am saying he is a far better player all round than an awful lot of people on here gave him credit for. IMHO when we had our very small blip round the new year he was made a huge scapegoat, and very undeservedly