Smile4Rich 3rd Annual Guernsey Golf Day

This one is all for Chaaaarity - Not 'arf mate.
Any fundraising or information on your fave charities goes here. Also, any Board get-togethers like The Christmas Bash.

Moderators: Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, General Mods

Guernsey Blue
Billy The Boot Boy

Smile4Rich 3rd Annual Guernsey Golf Day

Post by Guernsey Blue »

Last Friday saw the 3rd running of the Guernsey Golf Day in aid of Smile4Rich.

84 golfers played the competition in warm, pleasant conditions with only one moment of discord when somebody hooked their tee shot off the 8th straight through a window of one of the hotel apartments lining that section of the course. Fortunately, the occupants were not at home.....

The bold Sherl was, as always, in attendance and routinely fleeced all the players (without exception) of a few quid on the 5th hole by betting them that they couldn't land their tee shot in a circle that he'd marked out on the green. I am happy to refute claims by one disgruntled player that the circle was the size of a very small saucer.

A pretty decent nosh-up with plenty of acceptable claret followed, along with a quick after-dinner game of "Fours and Sixes" - a variation on Kings and Queens, using cricket umpire signals as opposed to the rather effeminate "hands on hips" that the latter version entails. This raised a further wad of cash for the kitty.

The evening was rounded off by the auction of several pieces of sporting memorabilia and other items generously donated by Guernsey residents and companies.

The final total raised for the day was £14,200, bringing the sum raised over the 3 years to in excess of £41,000. A very decent outcome, and far in excess of what we ever expected.

The local paper interviewed yours truly during the afternoon and hopefully the event will get a decent bit of coverage. If it does, and appears in the on-line version, I'll post the link in due course.
I daren't think too much, so I drink too much
Bluesbro'
Interim Manager
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Smile4Rich 3rd Annual Guernsey Golf Day

Post by Bluesbro' »

Guernsey Blue wrote:Last Friday saw the 3rd running of the Guernsey Golf Day in aid of Smile4Rich.

84 golfers played the competition in warm, pleasant conditions with only one moment of discord when somebody hooked their tee shot off the 8th straight through a window of one of the hotel apartments lining that section of the course. Fortunately, the occupants were not at home.....

The bold Sherl was, as always, in attendance and routinely fleeced all the players (without exception) of a few quid on the 5th hole by betting them that they couldn't land their tee shot in a circle that he'd marked out on the green. I am happy to refute claims by one disgruntled player that the circle was the size of a very small saucer.

A pretty decent nosh-up with plenty of acceptable claret followed, along with a quick after-dinner game of "Fours and Sixes" - a variation on Kings and Queens, using cricket umpire signals as opposed to the rather effeminate "hands on hips" that the latter version entails. This raised a further wad of cash for the kitty.

The evening was rounded off by the auction of several pieces of sporting memorabilia and other items generously donated by Guernsey residents and companies.

The final total raised for the day was £14,200, bringing the sum raised over the 3 years to in excess of £41,000. A very decent outcome, and far in excess of what we ever expected.

The local paper interviewed yours truly during the afternoon and hopefully the event will get a decent bit of coverage. If it does, and appears in the on-line version, I'll post the link in due course.
Didn't know I was playing. :lol:

Sounds like another great day for the cause. :thumb