5th Smile for Wessex Guernsey Golf Day

This one is all for Chaaaarity - Not 'arf mate.
Any fundraising or information on your fave charities goes here. Also, any Board get-togethers like The Christmas Bash.

Moderators: Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, General Mods

Guernsey Blue
Billy The Boot Boy

5th Smile for Wessex Guernsey Golf Day

Post by Guernsey Blue »

Just to keep those interested in the activities of the above-named charity up to date, a few words regarding the latest event, the annual Guernsey golf day. Will keep this on the main page for a few days and then move it to the charity section.

So, last Friday was the day, and for the first time, the weather wasn't very kind, although that said, there were enough breaks in the rain during the day to ensure that everyone playing didn't have to put up with a constant downpour throughout their round. We had record numbers participating - 110 to be precise - and everyone cheerfully got on with it despite the conditions. As well as the rain, a gale force hoolie blew up which sent hats, brollies and on one occasion, what looked suspiciously like a syrup, hurtling through the air. All good fun though, capped for me by some very good mates of mine winning the overall competition in a very close fought contest.

As always, the intrepid Sherl was out on the course, fleecing one and all for a few quid, and the day went off splendidly, topped by the dinner and auction in the evening, this year hosted by a scouse comedian, Willie Miller (no, not the guy who used to play for Aberdeen....) who was very entertaining and cajoled several folk to part with a few quid throughout proceedings.

The final total raised on the day was around £16,750, which I believe makes the total over the 5 years something like 75 grand, which obviously we're all pretty chuffed with.

Here's to next year........
I daren't think too much, so I drink too much
itsaintfunny
Mick Channon
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: 5th Smile for Wessex Guernsey Golf Day

Post by itsaintfunny »

Thats a fantastic result again and well done to all who took part /supported the event.

No mention of MLT I see so does that mean no celebs present apart from yourself that is ?
Kingofstar
Interim Manager

Post by Kingofstar »

Guernsey Blue wrote:The final total raised on the day was around £16,750, which I believe makes the total over the 5 years something like 75 grand, which obviously we're all pretty chuffed with.
Hellfire, thats good going. Well done. :thumb
It's not the despair, Lua Lua. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQEdeKreB4w
Albie McCann's Legs

Post by Albie McCann's Legs »

Which course did you play on? Lancresse, ST Pierre Park or Grande Mare(sp)? I've played Lancresse and ST Pierre Park a few times but never Grande Mare.
WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Post by WheresWally/ScottMcGarvey »

Absolutely SUPERB! :thumb

Great stuff, wot a lot o' lolly raised too.

Nice one GB, and well done to Sherl and all the players also! :thumb

Do you think the downpour - 'inclement' weather ("handy" scheduling!) had anything to do with the reputation of a certain person for getting things "going nicely" :?:
Bloke who does Rubi's Fantasy League. SEE LATEST TABLES HERE: PREM,CHAMPS & now the CUP
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Great stuff GB. The event just gets bigger and bigger. Grand Mare did us proud again and I like the new look/layout inside. Thought the meal was very good, and Willie Miller was excellent. Many thanks to all who participated/contributed for their generous support. The Pinnacle boys were gutted at losing on the countback. They'd made a concerted effort this year (which basically meant that they didn't arrive at the course still pi**ed from the night before) but resolved on Friday night to revert to type next year - which will please several bar owners on the island!

By the way, having this year gone over several hours earlier than I do normally, I got to play the course on Thursday. For those that don't know Grand Mare, it's a short but very tricky Par 64 with lots of water hazards and strategically placed ditches. Despite a strong wind blowing, though thankfully not the rain we were to have the following day, I ripped up the course and carded a 63 !!!!

Okay, okay, that was my score for the front 9 holes, but it got better on the back 9 - honest!
Guernsey Blue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Guernsey Blue »

Appreciate the kind words all, but in reality it's simply a pleasure and a privilege to be involved in something like this.

To address a couple of the points raised, firstly, MLT hasn't been involved directly in this event for the past 2 or 3 years now. He did play in the first one, and helped out with the auction in the evening and I think he played the 2nd one, but had to get back to the UK straight after, so couldn't attend the dinner. He does, of course, get heavily involved in the UK version which happens in Fareham every autumn, and 1 of his brothers played this year, so he and his family have certainly been solid supporters of the charity and, I am sure, will continue to do so.

Secondly, my offer to put on a barbecue for the evening was sadly declined by the remainder of the organising committee. It seems reputations spread, however scurrilous and unfounded they may be......

Albie - let me know next time you're coming over and I'll sort a game at LGM for you. As Sherl says, it's an incredibly challenging course, where precision and accuracy count for far more than long hitting. I think you'd enjoy it.

However Sherl, it's not so challenging as to justify a frankly disgraceful score of 63 for the front 9. To put that in some sort of context, junior the younger played it in 36 yesterday........

Finally, sorry it's taken me a while to respond, but as may have been picked up from Sherl's post in his parachute thread, I've been away for a few days. And it's probably fair to say that there were far more beers and acceptable clarets sunk than putts.
I daren't think too much, so I drink too much
pomp 'n circumstance
Kev the Kitman

Post by pomp 'n circumstance »

Guernsey Blue wrote:Appreciate the kind words all, but in reality it's simply a pleasure and a privilege to be involved in something like this.

Secondly, my offer to put on a barbecue for the evening was sadly declined by the remainder of the organising committee. It seems reputations spread, however scurrilous and unfounded they may be......
Modesty ill becomes you GB - once the blue touch paper has been lit, we can always rely that a towering inferno will ensue! Well done to everyone that attended and that stonking contribution to the charity!
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Guernsey Blue wrote:Appreciate the kind words all, but in reality it's simply a pleasure and a privilege to be involved in something like this.

To address a couple of the points raised, firstly, MLT hasn't been involved directly in this event for the past 2 or 3 years now. He did play in the first one, and helped out with the auction in the evening and I think he played the 2nd one, but had to get back to the UK straight after, so couldn't attend the dinner. He does, of course, get heavily involved in the UK version which happens in Fareham every autumn, and 1 of his brothers played this year, so he and his family have certainly been solid supporters of the charity and, I am sure, will continue to do so.

Albie - let me know next time you're coming over and I'll sort a game at LGM for you. As Sherl says, it's an incredibly challenging course, where precision and accuracy count for far more than long hitting. I think you'd enjoy it.

However Sherl, it's not so challenging as to justify a frankly disgraceful score of 63 for the front 9. To put that in some sort of context, junior the younger played it in 36 yesterday........

Finally, sorry it's taken me a while to respond, but as may have been picked up from Sherl's post in his parachute thread, I've been away for a few days. And it's probably fair to say that there were far more beers and acceptable clarets sunk than putts.
I'll second the comments about MLT. Also captained the Reds for three years at our Ryder Cup-style golf day (and I believe he may be playing again this year albeit under Franny Benali's captaincy).

As for my "disgraceful" front 9, in my defence this was only my second round in two years, and only my fourth in 11 years. Also, I was playing with just 4 clubs and a putter (no woods) as there was no point me bringing a full set just for a hack around with the Pinnacle boys on Thursday afternoon. That said, I still carded a full round score that was two strokes better than one of their team manaaged!

Glad to hear your French 'tour' went well matey. Cheers!