Swindon

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Keeprblue
Paul Merson

Re: Swindon

Post by Keeprblue »

eltorrro wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:59 pm Nicholiason passes to a Swindon player...3-1.

The Cowleys need to hold up their hands and say to the management..'We can't do anything with this group of players. Get rid of all of them and let us build a team and we will be your coaches for next year. But if not, find somebody else'.

This group is total rubbish.. and how bad must Alfie Stanley be that he is not brought on in place of Marquis?? Unbelievable!! 8)
I quite agree. definitely not a championship side, nor div 1 :oops:
Laughing for exercise, it's like jogging on the inside.
meakinsl
Milan Mandaric
Been liked: 5 times

Post by meakinsl »

You do start to wander if we would now have more points if we stuck with KJ, I'll be honest I hated the style of play under KJ and was vocal in wanting him gone but after a very brief honeymoon we are worse than under KJ, all very strange as you would have thought a bunch of players after a few weeks could adapt to a different style of play but maybe they are just not good enough and KJ with his tactics was getting the best you could out of them. New mob seem to talk a good game but not being translated to performance on the pitch, in a way still hope we make the play-offs and even somehow by law of averages finally go up in a play-off with the sole aim of not getting relegated next season but can't see us being in play-offs now, still there have been bleaker times all round.
NSRailings
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by NSRailings »

Unfortunately I think DC and co are way too technical and overload players with babble and technique. You have to enjoy what you do and they are too 'scientific' for that.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:05 pm
Milton End wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:32 pm
Berkshire Blue wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:01 pm the squad itself is not strong.
If the squad is so poor, it makes you wonder how we were top of the division at Christmas.

I'll say it again; the players we have are excellent at this level (with one or two exceptions, I'm looking at you, Rasmus and Charlie). They are not playing with confidence or as a team.

Where that confidence has disappeared to, I cannot say. But these are not poor players.
That's odd, because I don't remember writing that. Maybe I did and am losing the plot.
blue architect
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by blue architect »

NSRailings wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:03 pm Unfortunately, I think DC and co are way too technical and overload players with babble and technique. You have to enjoy what you do and they are too 'scientific' for that.
But their technical babble and technique worked well at Concord Rangers, Lincoln City, etc. If lower league/non-league players can take it in and gell then Div1/Ex Champ players certainly should FFS. Our players are supposed to be professionals all of whom have played under a series of different systems and formations. They may not like every system and prefer one that best suits their talents(?) but they should not be one-trick ponies.
It's always good to enjoy what you do, but like the rest of us in the big wide world, we often have to do work that we would prefer not to. It's called being "employed" to do a job of work.
THE TRICORN - BRUTAL ARCHITECTURE
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

The recent matches have turned on key moments usually involving Raggett or Daniels and Marquis missing a sitter. It is so frustrating that we are so near yet so far. If we were to go up (ha ha) we would need to totally revamp the squad at what cost. I think the Cowleys are a good fit for Pompey but I feel someone else is waiting in the wings to take over come the end of may.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

Berkshire Blue wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:49 pm
Locky_McLockface wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:05 pm
Milton End wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:32 pm
Berkshire Blue wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:01 pm the squad itself is not strong.
If the squad is so poor, it makes you wonder how we were top of the division at Christmas.

I'll say it again; the players we have are excellent at this level (with one or two exceptions, I'm looking at you, Rasmus and Charlie). They are not playing with confidence or as a team.

Where that confidence has disappeared to, I cannot say. But these are not poor players.
That's odd, because I don't remember writing that. Maybe I did and am losing the plot.
I don't remember writing that comment either! I suspect that there is something wrong with the software.....
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:33 am The recent matches have turned on key moments usually involving Raggett or Daniels and Marquis missing a sitter. It is so frustrating that we are so near yet so far. If we were to go up (ha ha) we would need to totally revamp the squad at what cost. I think the Cowleys are a good fit for Pompey but I feel someone else is waiting in the wings to take over come the end of may.
I have to say that thought crossed my mind have we got a 'marquee' manager set to be appointed. If we fail to make the playoffs and we still give them the job then what was the point in the trial period? It's all a bit bizzare.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:19 pm I have to say that thought crossed my mind have we got a 'marquee' manager set to be appointed. If we fail to make the playoffs and we still give them the job then what was the point in the trial period? It's all a bit bizzare.
New manager syndrome? We did get 4 wins in a row when they first came in.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

KJ had 4 years to sort things out. DC has just had a few games, so I think he should be given time, even if we don't make it to the playoffs. He has inherited a squad with injuries and suspensions in key areas which has made it very unbalanced, and with a striker and others whose confidence is fragile which leads to missing good scoring chances and making basic errors in defence. We all know that poor form can be transformed very fast, so let's hope it happens tomorrow!