Bristol Rovers

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Re: Bristol Rovers

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

[quote=Dinksy post_id=905131 time=1619275455 user_id=42922]
One shot on target at home against the bottom team.
Hardly even papering over the cracks.
[/quote]

Did you watch the match? We had at least four clear cut chances and scored with one, better than recent matches
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Let's be honest, it's been a crap season in a crap division. Hull and Peterborough have walked promotion and yet neither have averaged 2 points a game (and only Hull can if they win their last two matches). Other than that it's been a complete lottery and the fact that Pompey could still make the play-offs is testament to how ****** poor it's been. Whether Covid has played a part in making it so is open to debate, but generally I think you have to write-off this season and hope that next is better (on all levels).
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

I think it shows that with empty stadiums the home advantage diminishes. Not just for Pompey, look at Liverpool. We need our support which is second to none. Just imagine how the Cowleys would have worked our crowd, both home & away!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Highlights here from today’s game.

Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:01 pm Let's be honest, it's been a crap season in a crap division. Hull and Peterborough have walked promotion and yet neither have averaged 2 points a game (and only Hull can if they win their last two matches). Other than that it's been a complete lottery and the fact that Pompey could still make the play-offs is testament to how ****** poor it's been. Whether Covid has played a part in making it so is open to debate, but generally I think you have to write-off this season and hope that next is better (on all levels).
Can't argue with any of that, although last year wasn't much better; it is usually a very poor division and I think we were just spoiled in 2018-19.

Hull are now promoted, and Peterborough just need one more win. Fair result as they have been the best teams this year by a good distance. Sunderland and Lincoln look set for two of the play-off places as one more win should be enough for each of them, although the former's form has fallen off a cliff lately. That leaves two play-off places to be decided between four teams: Oxford, Blackpool, Portsmouth and Charlton. Take your pick as both form and games-to-play are a bit all over the place. How Portsmouth have managed to stay in the mix is beyond me, and just shows how rubbish the division has been.

Looking at the teams that were promoted last year, Wycombe (fluke promotion) are virtually relegated and Rotherham look likely to join them (and yo-yo once again), Coventry (the best of that year) are sixth from bottom and are probably happy with that as a first year back. So it's not going to be easy for any team promoted from L1, although Hull look to have a good base team to build upon and Sunderland would have the resources if they make it.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

It was a great goal. :thumb
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

New Forester wrote:It was a great goal. :thumb
Highlight of the last five games although I thought the keeper should have got something on it.
Then Curtis turns provider with a magnificent ball to Marquis and the result is the usual awful first touch and chance wasted.
It is difficult to believe the same player scored almost 1:2 for Doncaster.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:53 am
No Shot Sherlock wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:01 pm Let's be honest, it's been a crap season in a crap division. Hull and Peterborough have walked promotion and yet neither have averaged 2 points a game (and only Hull can if they win their last two matches). Other than that it's been a complete lottery and the fact that Pompey could still make the play-offs is testament to how ****** poor it's been. Whether Covid has played a part in making it so is open to debate, but generally I think you have to write-off this season and hope that next is better (on all levels).
Can't argue with any of that, although last year wasn't much better; it is usually a very poor division and I think we were just spoiled in 2018-19.

Hull are now promoted, and Peterborough just need one more win. Fair result as they have been the best teams this year by a good distance. Sunderland and Lincoln look set for two of the play-off places as one more win should be enough for each of them, although the former's form has fallen off a cliff lately. That leaves two play-off places to be decided between four teams: Oxford, Blackpool, Portsmouth and Charlton. Take your pick as both form and games-to-play are a bit all over the place. How Portsmouth have managed to stay in the mix is beyond me, and just shows how rubbish the division has been.

Looking at the teams that were promoted last year, Wycombe (fluke promotion) are virtually relegated and Rotherham look likely to join them (and yo-yo once again), Coventry (the best of that year) are sixth from bottom and are probably happy with that as a first year back. So it's not going to be easy for any team promoted from L1, although Hull look to have a good base team to build upon and Sunderland would have the resources if they make it.
Totally agree with your assessment. The Championship overall is significantly higher quality with more resources than Div 1.

IMO, we're nowhere near ready for promotion at the end of this season - even with some new squad members.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Milton End wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:20 am IMO, we're nowhere near ready for promotion at the end of this season - even with some new squad members.
OK, let's have a look at this. Who in the present squad do I think would be OK for a team in the bottom third of the Championship, not worrying about who is out of contract, but not counting players who are on loan. I have been generous, but haven't included young players with potential who might be OK in a year or two.

Craig MacGillivray
Alex Bass (has the ability)

Callum Johnson
Jack Whatmough
Lee Brown (not great, but his experience would see him cope)
James Bolton (OK as a squad player)

Tom Naylor (possibly if he returns to play CB, but not in midfield)
Ben Close (OK, I am biased)
Andy Cannon (maybe)
Ronan Curtis
Marcus Harness (has the ability, and you just accept the bad days)
Michael Jacobs (maybe)

So even being optimistic, that is not even half a team. It would require massive investment and a total rebuild if we were to survive in the Championship, but we are going to have to do that anyway in L1 (just not so expensive).
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I think that list is very generous... Most of our better players lack the pace to player higher up the league's that's why they don't.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:40 pm I think that list is very generous... Most of our better players lack the pace to player higher up the league's that's why they don't.
I agree! I struggle to see much past Big Mac and Curtis
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

McGillvray
Johnson
Whatmough
Curtis
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Selsey Bill wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:32 am
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:40 pm I think that list is very generous... Most of our better players lack the pace to player higher up the league's that's why they don't.
I agree! I struggle to see much past Big Mac and Curtis
Its not pretty reading, is it?

I think Johnson is ok, and has enough about him to cope in a division above. As much as I like Harness' ability to take players on, his end product is still very poor - although under the Cowleys it seems to have progressed a little. I think there is probably a better alternative to be found.

Between injuries and suspensions, I'm not even 100% convinced about Whatmough any longer - but since any transfer fee we might get will be sub-par due to his operations, I think we're better off keeping him.

However this season ends - there is a colossal amount to be done in the summer.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Big Mac.
Johnson (squad)
Naylor (squad)
Close (squad)
Curtis
Marquis, I think he will still find the net if we play to his strengths.

Controversial or not, if we got promoted I'd let Whatmough go.