Cowleys interview by sports science student

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Cowleys interview by sports science student

Post by Berkshire Blue »

On the Pompey YouTube channel. I found it really interesting - it shows the level of depth that is put into trying to get success.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 146 times

Re: Cowleys interview by sports science student

Post by Sam_Brown »

Love the enthusiasm and I am a firm believer in the power of marginal gains over the long term. But I don’t think you can melt down football to just algorithms and systems. It’s important to remember that motivation and passion are just as important. Hell I’d say you can have the best system and tactics in the world but without the right players and the motivation to go out week after week to put in 110% you aren’t guaranteed success. It’s why giant killings happen. Teams take their foot off the gas and are beat by the sheer bl**dy force of will of the smaller team fighting for their lives against the team taking them for granted. Our players were top of the league at Christmas and playing some amazing football. It’s not just the systems and tactics that have caused us to end up where we are. It’s about the man management and motivational side as well. Cowley has shown he has the brain for the tactics side. Does he have the emotional intelligence to get the best out of the players? Time will tell but I’ll be sure to give them my full support as I do with any manager at the helm of our club.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

I don't think we've ever played amazing football, particularly under Jackett.
We had a run of very good results which took us to the top of the league but before that and since we've been extremely inconsistent. I actually think we are at our level, ie fighting for top 6. We don't have the players who score regularly enough to mount an automatic promotion push. Injuries haven't helped either.

I like what I hear from the Cowleys, but we need a massive clear out and then time will tell.
FatBlueAde
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Post by FatBlueAde »

Betelgeuse wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:07 am I don't think we've ever played amazing football, particularly under Jackett.
We had a run of very good results which took us to the top of the league but before that and since we've been extremely inconsistent. I actually think we are at our level, ie fighting for top 6. We don't have the players who score regularly enough to mount an automatic promotion push. Injuries haven't helped either.

I like what I hear from the Cowleys, but we need a massive clear out and then time will tell.

Think we're getting that clear out with the number of.put of contracts ending this summer. Hopefully that's the opportunity to build the team they need. Only habe themselves to blame if it doesn't work out then. Assuming we don't get into the playoffs and get promoted of course, but even then the same applies. Looking forward to next season whatever.
Living in exile thinking Blue
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Sides that scrape into the playoffs in 5th or 6th place seem to have quite a good track record of getting promoted, but I am not very confident that we will make it even that far. However the one thing that we should know about being Pompey fans is to expect the unexpected!
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 146 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Berkshire Blue wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:09 pm Sides that scrape into the playoffs in 5th or 6th place seem to have quite a good track record of getting promoted, but I am not very confident that we will make it even that far. However the one thing that we should know about being Pompey fans is to expect the unexpected!
I'm totally out of the loop at the moment. Is there any plans for fans to attend the last few games of the season at all because if so that would be a massive bonus to us?
Coeli lux nostra ductrix