Ex-Pompey XI

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Ex-Pompey XI

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Having too much time on my hands waiting for a delivery, and inspired by recent talk about players who have been released or left Pompey, I thought about putting together the best Pompey team of players who no longer play for us. I only included “proper” Pompey players, so no-one who was only with us on loan or for a bit of a season. Based on a player’s present status, and not necessarily their peak; that is, they would have to turn out and play today.

The team looks strong at the back, but lightweight further forward, but overall probably a solid Championship side. I am sure that I have missed people, as this was largely off the top of my head (just checked present club online), and it would be good to hear other people’s thoughts and ideas.

Asmir Begovic (Bournemouth; Championship)

Joel Ward (Crystal Palace; Premier League)
Adam Webster (Brighton &HA; Premier League)
Matt Clarke (Derby Co.; Championship)
Enda Stevens (Sheffield Utd.; Premier League)

Jamal Lowe (Swansea; Championship)
Jed Wallace (Millwall; Championship)
Marlon Pack (Cardiff C.; Championship)
Matt Ritchie (Newcastle Utd.; Premier League)

Conor Chaplin (Barnsley; Championship)
Kal Naismith (Luton T.; Championship)
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Ex-Pompey XI

Post by streetrifle »

That is so sad, such a indictment of our inability to retain any decent players. Clearly as soon as we discover/produce a decent player then we can't sell them quick enough. Become 'Player of the season' and then they're off to new pastures. Matt Richie is the one that still annoys me.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

streetrifle wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:29 pm That is so sad, such a indictment of our inability to retain any decent players. Clearly as soon as we discover/produce a decent player then we can't sell them quick enough. Become 'Player of the season' and then they're off to new pastures. Matt Richie is the one that still annoys me.
The majority of them have gone on to bigger and better things. End of the day we are a league 1 club and we aren't going to compete with the allure of the Prem or even the Championship. It's frustrating but it's the nature of the beast unfortunately. Would I love to have even a few of those players still playing in blue? Absolutely but let's be realistic here.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
GlasgowGirl
Collins Mbesuma

Post by GlasgowGirl »

Super sub... David Nugent - even at 35 would be a great option to come off the bench.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

streetrifle wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:29 pm That is so sad, such a indictment of our inability to retain any decent players. Clearly as soon as we discover/produce a decent player then we can't sell them quick enough. Become 'Player of the season' and then they're off to new pastures. Matt Richie is the one that still annoys me.
I don't see it that way. I think the club can be more astute than we appreciate. Begovic/Ward/Webster/Clarke/Lowe all made the club serious money and were impossible to hold on to. Wallace and Chaplin we probably could have fought to retain, but neither were that indispensable to the club and the money received was fair at the time. Chaplin is still only scoring at a rate of 1 in 5. Not exactly a goal machine. Wallace had a shaky start at Millwall, but seems to be back in form again.

Ritchie was just unfortunate, and I don't blame the club. Didn't we bin off the entire reserve team back then due to the impending administration? And at that time he wasn't Premiership or Championship calibre. It would have been crueler to retain him and not play him, rather than release him and watch him flourish. Which we knew would happen and has. If we had kept him, he wouldn't have been half the player he is now. And chances are we would have released him the following year anyway, as we did with the whole squad.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Rick Pumpkin
Alan Biley

Post by Rick Pumpkin »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:40 pm Having too much time on my hands...
That's always the way these things start! I did similar a few years back, but on that occasion it was players emerging from the youth setup who we all thought would go onto bigger and better things, but for whom Pompey was briefly the highlight of their careers.

I can't remember the whole squad (it became a big list) although Trevor Roberts, Keith James, Ashley Harris and Luke Nightingale did feature.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Rick Pumpkin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:30 am I did similar a few years back, but on that occasion it was players emerging from the youth setup who we all thought would go onto bigger and better things, but for whom Pompey was briefly the highlight of their careers.

I can't remember the whole squad (it became a big list) although Trevor Roberts, Keith James, Ashley Harris and Luke Nightingale did feature.
Stuart Doling. In my lifetime, possibly the most talented player to come through the Pompey system. He was a year behind Darren Anderton, but a better player than the latter. Unfortunately, he had issues.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/foot ... ie-3192439
Rick Pumpkin
Alan Biley

Post by Rick Pumpkin »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:00 pm Stuart Doling. In my lifetime, possibly the most talented player to come through the Pompey system. He was a year behind Darren Anderton, but a better player than the latter. Unfortunately, he had issues.
I thought he was going to be special - one of those players who always seemed to have time on the ball.

A bit further back another youth player I thought could maybe make a decent go of it at Pompey was Paul Wimbleton. I think it was Bobby Campbell who let him go but gave him so many chances to get over the bad injuries he seemed to pick up. He had a decent career at Cardiff and I saw him play a couple of games there when I had a short posting at RAF St. Athan.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Professional people within football often have a view that we don't see as just plain ignorant supporters. I have seen players at youth & young professional stages come and go at Portsmouth who I have thought would go on to be world beaters. One such player was Clive Green, does anyone remember him from the 1970/80's? I saw him progress through the youth ranks and then into the first team and for me he was nailed on to be one of the greatest. I think the club binned him off to Yeovil Town and he ended up as a teacher but what a player at a young age. He almost scored the greatest goal I had ever seen when playing for Pompey reserves against Gosport Borough. A high ball was played to him and he flicked the ball over his and his markers head, ran round his marker and as the ball came down he volleyed it all in one movement. Unfortunately the ball hit the underside of the bar and never went in. One goal he did score for the first team was at the Fratton End when he side footed the ball into the net from just on the corner the penalty area, it was poetry in motion.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Blue Walter wrote:Professional people within football often have a view that we don't see as just plain ignorant supporters. I have seen players at youth & young professional stages come and go at Portsmouth who I have thought would go on to be world beaters. One such player was Clive Green, does anyone remember him from the 1970/80's? I saw him progress through the youth ranks and then into the first team and for me he was nailed on to be one of the greatest. I think the club binned him off to Yeovil Town and he ended up as a teacher but what a player at a young age. He almost scored the greatest goal I had ever seen when playing for Pompey reserves against Gosport Borough. A high ball was played to him and he flicked the ball over his and his markers head, ran round his marker and as the ball came down he volleyed it all in one movement. Unfortunately the ball hit the underside of the bar and never went in. One goal he did score for the first team was at the Fratton End when he side footed the ball into the net from just on the corner the penalty area, it was poetry in motion.
Yup, Green came through at the same time as Peter Denyer, Dave Pullar and Steve Foster whose task it was to save us from relegation to the third tier at a time when the club was almost bankrupt. That was 1977. And when we thumped Rotherham 5-1 at home on the last day to secure Second Division safety, we swore we would never let that happen again.....ahem!
Rick Pumpkin
Alan Biley

Post by Rick Pumpkin »

That whole group I thought did Pompey proud considering the situation we were in. It was a Div. 4 match against Hereford we won 1-0 through a Peter Denyer shot from the edge of the area that stands out for me. It was a really hard fought game and along with Keith Viney we stood our ground and came out winners. That era had a few more kids and I can recall Leigh Barnard (who told me to f**k off at a reserve game) who also gave us good service.

My head also says Steve Berry but I think he came along later.
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

Sorry to be a pedant Dinksy but the 5-1 thumping of Rotherham wasn't on the last day of the season. It was 16th April and there were still 7 games to go after that. The last home game of that season we played York City (who were bottom) and won 3-1 (Green 2 and Kemp) which is the game you might be getting confused with . Anyway we only forestalled the inevitable for one season as we finished rock bottom the next year.
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

rumourmonger wrote:Sorry to be a pedant Dinksy but the 5-1 thumping of Rotherham wasn't on the last day of the season. It was 16th April and there were still 7 games to go after that. The last home game of that season we played York City (who were bottom) and won 3-1 (Green 2 and Kemp) which is the game you might be getting confused with . Anyway we only forestalled the inevitable for one season as we finished rock bottom the next year.
No problem RM, thanks for pointing that out. It was a very memorable year for me...though clearly not quite memorable enough.