Accrington

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Accrington

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Got to feel sorry for John Marquis. He has had a poor season. Even when the team were winning he didn't look good, and it has just gone downhill from there. Now the chance for redemption (in best Hollywood style); two goals, an assist and a great team comeback, but then the OG, which was mostly bad luck. He must have done something to upset the gods.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I've been wondering if Marquis isn't fully fit and has been playing out of necessity and that's not helped his cause.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

So unlucky at the end!
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:10 am Got to feel sorry for John Marquis. He has had a poor season. Even when the team were winning he didn't look good, and it has just gone downhill from there. Now the chance for redemption (in best Hollywood style); two goals, an assist and a great team comeback, but then the OG, which was mostly bad luck. He must have done something to upset the gods.
I know he has been quite open with his mental health over the years so I feel he's definitely a confidence player. You don't 1 in 2 and several awards for most goals \ most assists by being a ****** player! Still... up to the managers to get the most out of him.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

GreenBlue wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:13 pm
eltorrro wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:54 pm Let's face it..WE ARE JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH!! Forget it for this year..nothing, absolutely nothing the Cowley's can do will make this a good team, They just don't have the skill. How does a tiny club, with very small crowds and finances like Accrington, manage to get TWO, not one, good strikers? And we have got two donkeys in Marquis and Harrison!! Unbelievable really. It has to change next season. 8)
Pound for pound, I think our players are as good as any in this division but something is severely wrong.
Agree completely.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Post by streetrifle »

One other aspect of last night and particularly regarding the Marquis own goal for their late equaliser. Although I rate McGillivray highly and he might well be our Player of the Season I do think you have to look at how he dealt with the shot which he palmed out against Marquis's legs. Looking at it again on the highlights I do feel he should have held on to that shot rather than push it out. Keepers currently favour such saves and I think it has cost us dearly in this case.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

streetrifle wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:50 pm One other aspect of last night and particularly regarding the Marquis own goal for their late equaliser. Although I rate McGillivray highly and he might well be our Player of the Season I do think you have to look at how he dealt with the shot which he palmed out against Marquis's legs. Looking at it again on the highlights I do feel he should have held on to that shot rather than push it out. Keepers currently favour such saves and I think it has cost us dearly in this case.
Completely agree. It seems to be the in thing to palm balls away but I don't like it.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Berkshire Blue wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:08 pm Completely agree. It seems to be the in thing to palm balls away but I don't like it.
It needs to be caught, or pushed sideways, preferably round the post to get it off the pitch. This time it hit Marquis, another time it might fall to an opposition player with an open goal.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

streetrifle wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:50 pm One other aspect of last night and particularly regarding the Marquis own goal for their late equaliser. Although I rate McGillivray highly and he might well be our Player of the Season I do think you have to look at how he dealt with the shot which he palmed out against Marquis's legs. Looking at it again on the highlights I do feel he should have held on to that shot rather than push it out. Keepers currently favour such saves and I think it has cost us dearly in this case.
He should definitely have caught the ball (IMHO)
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Sam_Brown wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:35 am
Pompey Penguin wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:10 am Got to feel sorry for John Marquis. He has had a poor season. Even when the team were winning he didn't look good, and it has just gone downhill from there. Now the chance for redemption (in best Hollywood style); two goals, an assist and a great team comeback, but then the OG, which was mostly bad luck. He must have done something to upset the gods.
I know he has been quite open with his mental health over the years so I feel he's definitely a confidence player. You don't 1 in 2 and several awards for most goals \ most assists by being a ****** player! Still... up to the managers to get the most out of him.
My youngest son took his GF out for a meal over the weekend and Jed Wallace was in the same restaurant with his wife and another couple. My son (deliberately) bumped into him in the toilets and they spent about 10 minutes chatting. Jed told him that he and Marquis were very good friends, and that this bad spell of his was all about confidence.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Mickemo »

Selsey Bill wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:39 pm
My youngest son took his GF out for a meal over the weekend and Jed Wallace was in the same restaurant with his wife and another couple. My son (deliberately) bumped into him in the toilets and they spent about 10 minutes chatting. Jed told him that he and Marquis were very good friends, and that this bad spell of his was all about confidence.
[/quote]

Good insight there SB - thanks.

Any chance of Jed returning to us ?

JM confidence is clearly shot to bits - so on that front I feel for him. On the other hand he needs to get out on the training ground and practice his first touch (which is akin to a bar of Toblerone)

Bring it on at the Dons on Saturday - PUP !