With promotion being unlikely should we keep the Cowley's??

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Re: With promotion being unlikely should we keep the Cowley's??

Post by Berkshire Blue »

I read recently that when the Cowleys were at Huddersfield they were surprised by the high levels of athleticism in the championship. They are now aware of this, and hopefully will try to put together a squad with that in mind.
Keeprblue
Paul Merson

Re: With promotion being unlikely should we keep the Cowley's??

Post by Keeprblue »

Rick Pumpkin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:23 am The Cowleys came into the club and really performed miracles in getting a bunch of disparate players who only knew how to lose to win four on the trot. The new manager bounce faded, the players reverted to type and we've struggled in recent games.

I'm no fan of the Cowleys, I think Danny is too fond of his own voice and I really don't like the 'injuries' our players keep coming down with so that some touchline coaching can take place (we demonised Ainsworth for the exact same thing). But...I do like the style of play they try to impose on their teams and when they are flying it's reminiscent of Alan Ball with that great Pompey team of the mid-80s. OK, I'm using Lincoln as an example here but I did see quite a bit of them over a two-year period.

It's only my opinion but I don't think we can judge them on what we've seen with our bunch of plodders, a few of whom have never seemed to be able to master the basics of the game.

I'd hope the club gives them a 2/3 year deal with the premise that during that time promotion needs to be secured and that they'll be given the backing to bring in their type of player. There are no guarantees in the game and Pompey might once have been a big club, but we are what we are right now, a run-of-the-mill L1 club, and I think the Cowley brothers are the right people to be here at this time.
Good post Rick.
Laughing for exercise, it's like jogging on the inside.