Brood X

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Brood X

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Well, one of natures odd miracles is about to hit sunny Cincinnati and the surrounding area. The return of Brood X.
17 yrs ago these critters last swarmed. There are billions of them and they stick around about six weeks. They breed, the adult females lay eggs then the males and females die, the eggs turn to larvae and burrow into the soil where they hang out about 2ft down waiting patiently. Then, 17 yrs later they emerge, breed, lay eggs and die again. The cycle repeats every 17 yrs. They are pretty large, about 3-4 inches long a bit like a big fat cricket. They are noisy as heck, 1 ciccada = maybe 10 crickets.
Fortunately they dont bite or sting but it can be a bit unnerving when giant insects land on you all the time. They really like noise and dark colors so leave yer black tee shirts at home and if yer in the landscape / grass cutting business....its going to be a tough 6 weeks. ..0
Just waiting for the soil temp to hit 64F then it begins. Got me a badminton racquet for a swatter.
Look at them big ugly red eyes staring at you too.
ciccada.jpg
ciccada.jpg (8.71 KiB) Viewed 1404 times
Div III. Call it what it is.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 146 times

Re: Brood X

Post by Sam_Brown »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:09 pm They breed, the adult females lay eggs then the males and females die, the eggs turn to larvae and burrow into the soil where they hang out about 2ft down waiting patiently. Then, 17 yrs later they emerge, breed, lay eggs and die again.
You've met my ex it seems :o .
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:09 pm Well, one of natures odd miracles is about to hit sunny Cincinnati and the surrounding area. The return of Brood X.
17 yrs ago these critters last swarmed. There are billions of them and they stick around about six weeks. They breed, the adult females lay eggs then the males and females die, the eggs turn to larvae and burrow into the soil where they hang out about 2ft down waiting patiently. Then, 17 yrs later they emerge, breed, lay eggs and die again. The cycle repeats every 17 yrs. They are pretty large, about 3-4 inches long a bit like a big fat cricket. They are noisy as heck, 1 ciccada = maybe 10 crickets.
Fortunately they dont bite or sting but it can be a bit unnerving when giant insects land on you all the time. They really like noise and dark colors so leave yer black tee shirts at home and if yer in the landscape / grass cutting business....its going to be a tough 6 weeks. ..0
Just waiting for the soil temp to hit 64F then it begins. Got me a badminton racquet for a swatter.
Look at them big ugly red eyes staring at you too.

ciccada.jpg
As a bit of a nature boy I enjoyed that, thank you for sharing :thumb
Rick Pumpkin
Alan Biley

Post by Rick Pumpkin »

How weird - I'd never heard of these and just 30 minutes ago I was reading a commercial pilot forum and there's mention of these things on there as a warning to crews flying into multiple states in the US. They don't pose a threat as you say, but do freak out pilots who have never experienced the swarms at just above ground level. Apparently being spooked on finals isn't good for a pilot - who'd have known :)
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Rick Pumpkin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:07 am How weird - I'd never heard of these and just 30 minutes ago I was reading a commercial pilot forum and there's mention of these things on there as a warning to crews flying into multiple states in the US. They don't pose a threat as you say, but do freak out pilots who have never experienced the swarms at just above ground level. Apparently being spooked on finals isn't good for a pilot - who'd have known :)
If you run into them on the interstate, yer windshield will quickly become spattered with cicada guts so I can imagine that would be an issue for small aircraft coming into land or take off.

Apparently they're good deep fried and / or covered in chocolate. yuk....Id rather eat Brussel sprouts coated in dog poo
Div III. Call it what it is.
Rick Pumpkin
Alan Biley

Post by Rick Pumpkin »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:01 pm Apparently they're good deep fried and / or covered in chocolate. yuk....Id rather eat Brussel sprouts coated in dog poo
Deep fried cicadas reminded me of fries, but that's the extent of my insect cuisine sampling. And I'm in no hurry to ever try them again.