Andy Cannon

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Andy Cannon

Post by streetrifle »

There is a big case for saying that Cannon cost us the two incredibly valuable points we needed last night. His stupid unnecessary brainless foul conceded in an awkward positionon the pitch brought the free kick which was placed in a crowded goalmouth and led to the equaliser. Cannon goes around the pitch doing this in most games like a headless chicken and surely its got to be knocked out of him. Cowley mentioned it in his post match interview so he wasn't too chuffed about it either.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 146 times

Re: Andy Cannon

Post by Sam_Brown »

Quick question. Do you actually support the club? I've had a quick look at your post history and I reckon 90% of them are slagging off players, management or the club as a whole. Cheers.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Post by streetrifle »

Sam, quick answer, I do support the club, having done so going to mostly home matches since 1971 and a season ticket holder since 1987. I am sorry that you are unhappy with the negative nature of some of my recent posts but in my defence its only because I care so much. I suppose ti could explain my recent posts as a way of releasing my frustrations and even anger at recent games and performances. It really does hurt me to have our great club languishing in the third tier and seeing such modest clubs as Norwich, Bournemouth,Brighton and you know who down the road lording it in the higher divisions where be belong.
I will try hard to be more positive from now on.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

That's probably a more gracious response than my blunt query deserved to be honest. I'm the same at work about work so probably just projection on my behalf. I get your frustrations and don't disagree on the whole. This season (past few probably) has been frustrating. Always that feeling of being so close yet so far. Here's hoping the fans returning will get some of the players fired up next season. Someone posted some stats earlier and this season our home form has been pants. No doubt that with a full house behind the team we'd be a few positions up the table.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by portchesterblue »

There is no doubt that the last few seasons have been frustrating, but you have to have some realism too. We are a league 1 club for a reason. Yes we were up there with the big boys for a while and look where it got us.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Back to the point of the thread, I think this is an interesting question.

After a sluggish start to the season, Pompey got good in the Autumn, and I (and others) on this board highlighted the influence of Andy Cannon in upping the energy of the whole team as a vital part of the change. Since Christmas, this hasn't worked so well, possibly because the pressing wasn't coming from the whole team in an organised fashion (apart from the early Cowley games). There is a fine line between good energy and workrate and running around like a headless chicken to no point (we have had enough of those over recent years).

Unnecessary fouls are a major frustration, and as we saw can be costly. All three of our sendings-off this season have fallen into this category, and didn't have to happen. Stay on your feet and let the opposition have the ball if necessary (most teams will soon give it back) until the attack gets into critical areas. There was a coach/manager 10-20 years ago who argued that football should be a non-tackling game. We are approaching that in some ways with the best defenders making fewer and fewer genuine tackles; it is all positioning, closing angles, interceptions and blocks.
Rick Pumpkin
Alan Biley

Post by Rick Pumpkin »

Does Cannon have the mental capacity to become a Cowley-type player? I don't think he does.

No doubt he can run around a lot and throw himself into tackles (and fouls!), but I've never noticed a consistent cutting edge to his game that allows him to play killer passes, go for the option that no one else has noticed and think on his feet. And that last one is where I think he comes really short in the Cowleyesque view of how the game should be played. If you ever watched a Lincoln game when the bros were managing the club (and why would you?) you would have seen a group of players who could think fast, look at their options and thread a pass to keep the ball moving forward. The team played a high-tempo game and all of the players had to really be on their toes for the full 90. That's what'll be coming to town if Pompey give them a longer-term deal and of the current squad I think Cannon is really going to struggle and I wouldn't be upset to see him leave.

It's another topic for another thread, but of those out of contract in the summer I don't think very many would prosper playing the Cowley way.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Good points Rick. I have my doubts over Cannon, he scores the very occasional worldy but tackles recklessly and although he brings energy I have to agree that he doesn't play the killer ball, and I think he'll struggle to play the way the Cowleys want to play...as will 90% of the squad.
Rick Pumpkin
Alan Biley

Post by Rick Pumpkin »

I know he gets dog's abuse but Raggett really shone in that Lincoln team. They played out from the back and he was as good as any of the others in moving the ball quickly. Of our outfield players I see him, Jack and Close being 100% Cowley players, plus let's not forget Marquis as he's the best No.9 they've worked with...

On a serious note, if they can get Marquis to be more effective than John Akinde and Matt Rhead were for Lincoln then I look forward to the day.

(apologies for deviating away from the original thread)
Dsection
Collins Mbesuma
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Dsection »

There is a big case for saying that Cannon cost us the two incredibly valuable points

Ok it was an un-necessary free kick, but how about defending it properly!! Win the first header, and Mac should have caught the ball not palmed it away (not the first time he has done that either)
Let’s not make Cannon a scapegoat the defending was shocking all night!!!
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

I know rating a player is usually a personel opinion but as far as Cannon is concerned in my opinion he does not fit into the Cowley playing system a great many of us have said from the start we needed a Ben Thompson type of player. In his time with us he really made the team tick I hope the Cowley's can bring in a couple of midfield players of the same standard. We started to go downhill when we lost Ben together with Matt Clarke we need to fill the void they have left, if we can? Down to the Eisners to provide the finance needed to bring in the quality we need, and back up the Brothers.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

jam tomorrow wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:07 pm Down to the Eisners to provide the finance needed to bring in the quality we need, and back up the Brothers.
This is a really good point actually. I seem to recall the Eisners don't tend to get involved in the day to day funding of the club. They created an account with X monies in the club can dip into whenever they need it but would like the club to be as self sustaining as possible. Love to know if there is any decent articles on this as I'm probably just chatting chuff as usual :D.

From a long term sustainability point of view do we want to be beholden to the owners to put money in? Isn't this how we ended up in the situation back in the dark days of 2010s? On the flip side can we really compete in the Championship without that kind of investiture? I don't really know where I stand but just interested in how things hole play out and what other people feel.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

jam tomorrow wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:07 pm I know rating a player is usually a personel opinion but as far as Cannon is concerned in my opinion he does not fit into the Cowley playing system a great many of us have said from the start we needed a Ben Thompson type of player. In his time with us he really made the team tick I hope the Cowley's can bring in a couple of midfield players of the same standard. We started to go downhill when we lost Ben together with Matt Clarke we need to fill the void they have left, if we can? Down to the Eisners to provide the finance needed to bring in the quality we need, and back up the Brothers.
On the subject of bringing midfielders in, Alex Woodyard is with Wimbledon now and has previously spent several seasons playing for the Cowleys. No idea how good he is, but the Cowleys obviously rate him. Maybe we will see this afternoon - not to our cost I hope.