I really hope this is true

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

I really hope this is true

Post by Mr Dee »

"Exclusive: Social distancing not needed at big events, Boris Johnson to be told" https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... 1619729267
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 176 times

Re: I really hope this is true

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Does the article mention that you will need your papers and testings before the event etc....
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 123 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Personally I don't think we will see crowds at any event for some time yet. Crowds will return but I wonder if we will ever see events in the way that we used to ever again. I think every aspect of our lives will have changed because of the Covid Pandemic in the future. I suppose we move with the times and people are getting used to the way we live now and the lessons that have been learned from that. As for football I think we will see the sort of shift that we saw when stadiums became all seaters. No doubt many of us can remember being herded into vast crowds where the policy was that the ground was full when they just couldn't fit anyone else in. I can remember so many instances like being behind the goal at Highbury when Darren Anderton scored against Liverpool. I saw the ball being played forward but the surge of the crowd blocked my view of the actual strike on goal. I knew we had scored because of the absolute mayhem that followed and I ended up in a different part of the terracing when it died down. I also remember being in the crowd for the cup replay at Fratton against Fulham where something like 46000 were crammed into the ground by crowd packers. Having to arrive hours before a game and queue to get in to grounds are things of the past. Being in these sort of crowds had a special sort of atmosphere and experience that are now long gone and we are now treated with far more dignity instead of being money paying herds. We are now regarded more like customers and some will rue the passing of these times, as I do to a certain degree, but not if you were jammed in one of these crowds and you needed a pee.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Blue Walter wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:59 am I also remember being in the crowd for the cup replay at Fratton against Fulham where something like 46000 were crammed into the ground by crowd packers.
Are you talking about the February 1968 game when we won 1-0 (Mike Trebilcock scored). If so, that was my first ever Pompey game, been hooked ever since. I believe there were 44,000 in that night?
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

I missed that Fulham match but was amongst the 42,000+ for the fifth round game against West Brom.I was standing on the `boilermakers hump in the Milton End, there seemed plenty of space there. For the second year running Pompey were knocked out of the FA Cup by the eventural winners that season. Spurs were the winners in 1967 and we lost 3-1 at White Hart Lane and about 20,000 Pompey Fans were there and I was amongst them,
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Selsey Bill, Yes that was the game that Trebilco scored after 6 minutes. The 44000 gate was imposed for the following game in the cup against West Brom, I believe, and was all ticket. They set that crowd figure because of the crowd problem that turned up for the Fulham game. Following the West Brom game they set a figure of 42000 for big games following police advice.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:12 pm I missed that Fulham match but was amongst the 42,000+ for the fifth round game against West Brom.I was standing on the `boilermakers hump in the Milton End, there seemed plenty of space there. For the second year running Pompey were knocked out of the FA Cup by the eventural winners that season. Spurs were the winners in 1967 and we lost 3-1 at White Hart Lane and about 20,000 Pompey Fans were there and I was amongst them,
I was at that game as well. Ray Pointer scored for us while Greaves & Gilzean for Spurs. The gate was 63000 at White Hart Lane with, as you say, 20000 plus Pompey fans packed in behind the goal opposite the White Hart end. I remember that was my first frightening experience of a crowd sway, especially when we scored. It was a brilliant trip up there. It seemed every bus or coach in the Portsmouth area was used and it was like a carnival all the way to Tottenham. It also showed what a bottle neck Hindhead was. Great day though.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Blue Walter wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:39 pm Selsey Bill, Yes that was the game that Trebilco scored after 6 minutes. The 44000 gate was imposed for the following game in the cup against West Brom, I believe, and was all ticket. They set that crowd figure because of the crowd problem that turned up for the Fulham game. Following the West Brom game they set a figure of 42000 for big games following police advice.
I was sat in the South Stand with my dad who was given two tickets by a work contact. I remember being overawed by the whole occasion - the first sight of the pitch under the lights, the roar of the crowd when we scored, the rattles going mad, the stamping of feet in the stand, and the sheer magnitude of the crowd as we left the ground which as a young lad scared me. Will never forget that night, and still have my programme.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

I was at that game as well. Ray Pointer scored for us while Greaves & Gilzean for Spurs.
[/quote] Blue Walter

Sorry Mate it was Ron Tindall who scored our goal at Spurs
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:16 pm I was at that game as well. Ray Pointer scored for us while Greaves & Gilzean for Spurs.
Blue Walter

Sorry Mate it was Ron Tindall who scored our goal at Spurs
[/quote]
Yes you are right and I stand corrected, thank you. Ray Pointer did score for us but not in that game is what I meant.
Purbrook Chimes
Kev the Kitman

Post by Purbrook Chimes »

Selsey Bill wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:08 pm
Blue Walter wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:39 pm Selsey Bill, Yes that was the game that Trebilco scored after 6 minutes. The 44000 gate was imposed for the following game in the cup against West Brom, I believe, and was all ticket. They set that crowd figure because of the crowd problem that turned up for the Fulham game. Following the West Brom game they set a figure of 42000 for big games following police advice.
I was sat in the South Stand with my dad who was given two tickets by a work contact. I remember being overawed by the whole occasion - the first sight of the pitch under the lights, the roar of the crowd when we scored, the rattles going mad, the stamping of feet in the stand, and the sheer magnitude of the crowd as we left the ground which as a young lad scared me. Will never forget that night, and still have my programme.
Started on the North Terrace but the crowd stackers pushed up into the seats to sit on the steps, wonderful game