AFC Wimbledon

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Re: AFC Wimbledon

Post by Milton End »

Keeprblue wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:12 am Those of you who watched the game, would you agree with DC that Downing was MOTM by a country mile?
Not sure whether Downing was MOTM because only listening on BBC Radio Solent.

But the Cowleys gave him his chance and he has clearly taken it: they have gone up in my estimation.

Equally, what on earth was going through the mind of our previous manager, Kenny Jackett? How can he have totally ignored Downing over the last two years? Unless there is some explanation, Jackett has gone down signficantly in my - addmitedly limited - judgement.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Rick Pumpkin
Alan Biley

Post by Rick Pumpkin »

Milton End wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:44 am Not sure whether Downing was MOTM because only listening on BBC Radio Solent.
Considering I thought he was our lower league Carl Tiler, whatever the Cowley brothers have done with him in training it has worked out incredibly well. Only my opinion but what I saw on Saturday was a central defender who won the vast majority of his challenges, distributed the ball intelligently and covered his defensive partners either side of him. In fact, he was everything Raggett wasn't.

It was only a few weeks ago I was wishing he was one of those players with a contract expiring this summer, but on Saturday's display and his cameo at Accrington I'm pleased we've got him for another year. OK, that's on the basis of 1.5 games but he just looked so damned composed, didn't resort to hoofing the ball aimlessly forward, didn't find himself out of position and didn't throw himself into reckless challenges. It's shame he and Jack are both right footed as that would be a really intelligent partnership.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Good post about the man we tried to forget and were quite happy for him to go, even as a back up for Jack we need strength in every position I still feel we need a replacement for Raggett. Having said that the Cowley boys know his strengths and weaknesses who are in a good postion to make the right decision. Full marks for them in turning him round and of course Downing himself who has come back stronger.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson