Centre Backs this Sunday?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Centre Backs this Sunday?

Post by Selsey Bill »

Sad to admit, but I've thought of little else all week, but we're almost there. I'd say Cowley's biggest selection dilemma is who to play at CB. The brothers obviously trust Raggett, and equally rate Whatmough judging by their quotes in the press recently, but Danny also said that the rejuvenated Downing was his MOTM v AFCW by "a country mile" after the game. I suspect he'll go with Raggett and Whatmough, but who would you pick?
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Re: Centre Backs this Sunday?

Post by PakefieldBlue »

I reckon they'll keep it to Downing and Raggett with Jack on the bench - but personally I'd go for Jack and Downing. Raggett gives 100% but just doesn't convince me.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

PakefieldBlue wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:53 pm I reckon they'll keep it to Downing and Raggett with Jack on the bench - but personally I'd go for Jack and Downing. Raggett gives 100% but just doesn't convince me.
I'm 100% with you, but reckon there's no chance he'll go down that route. On this subject, next season's pairing should be Downing and Whatmough IMHO
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

The problem is who will play `left sided` Centre Half. I am not sure either Jack or Downing are comfortable there, where as Raggett can play there.
I think Cowleys will go with Jack & Raggett for balance because the `Stanley Strikers are a " bit useful"
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Maybe he will play them all? Plus Johnson and Brown as wingbacks? Close and Naylor.

Then one from Harness, Williams and Curtis in behind and two from Curtis, Williams and Marquis up top?
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Fortunate favours the brave. The next game - and potentially further 2/3 - is an opportunity for the Cowleys and us to see the real Paul Downing. Was Wimbledon just a one off or do we have a player who can serve us well next season? There's only one way to find out...
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Tough call, but I would probably stick with Downing and Raggett, on the basis that Downing had an excellent game last match and Raggett is more used to the left side. Raggett does worry me though - I find myself holding my breath when the ball is passed to him!
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Three at the back? Nope, not a good idea. It hasn't worked well for Pompey over recent years, and I don't think this is the game to try something, although I think it is a system that could work given a pre-season's practice.

I think I would go with Downing and Raggett. For the reasons given above, that they are the CBs under contract for next season, and for Whatmough to get the message that there are consequences to rash tackles.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Johnson Downing Raggs Brown
Naylor Close
Harness Williams Curtis
Marquis