Accrington Stanley

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Re: Accrington Stanley

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

[quote=Pompey1984+1 post_id=905662 time=1620566466 user_id=42925]
[quote=BlueinPLtwenty post_id=905661 time=1620566107 user_id=76]
Their Goalkeeper was judged Man of the Match, how do we put that into perpective
[/quote]

How many of the 'saves' he made would you have put in the bracket of non basic?
[/quote]
Two saves from Marquis & one from Daniels
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Keeprblue
Paul Merson

Post by Keeprblue »

eltorrro wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:05 pm
Dinksy wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:56 pm I'm sorry, but however much we like Danny Cowley, you can't blame this shower of sh*te on Jackett. They had seven days to prepare for this and looked like a bunch of strangers. Looking at our last few games I would say John Coleman would be a better shout for manager
Of course you can!! This is Jackett's team not the Cowley's. They are a totally useless bunch who are not capable of being coached and brought up to Championship quality. Why not give them the courtesy of allowing them to build their own team before you slag them off. All the blame is firmly at Jackett's door. 8)
I totally agree with you.
Jackets mob are *****, and so were his tactics.
Some new players (most of them) and a pre-season with the Cowley's and (hopefully) a crowd back. then it'll be happy days :D
If we get into the last 6 next year I think Acrinton will be there also, hope we don't get the lol
Laughing for exercise, it's like jogging on the inside.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:29 pm
jam tomorrow wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:22 pm We have got to be totally honest with ourselves how many of this team have the quality needed to get us out of this dire league?
I'd keep the following:

Big Mac.
Johnson.
Downing.
Brown.
Close.
Naylor.
Williams.
Marquis.
Harness.
You must be a glutton for punishment if you'd keep that lot!! Naylor, Williams, Marquis and Harness (plus Curtis) all should go. Think the others are reasonable and would be good to keep for the squad. Accrington shows you can pick up decent players cheaply. 8)
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

We have a lot of average players who are able to pull the occasional good performance out of the hat, but nothing consistently.

A dangerous striker who troubles defenders is essential, we're toothless in attack.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:21 pm
BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:15 pm Their Goalkeeper was judged Man of the Match, how do we put that into perpective
How many of the 'saves' he made would you have put in the bracket of non basic?
Very few, if any. Good save from Daniels, and down well a couple of times, but nothing special. MacGillivray v. Salford it was not. However, his impact on the match was bigger than that. In the first 15 minutes when Pompey were in control, he came off his line quickly a couple of times and caught a couple of crosses. Set the tone for the Stanley defence at a point when they needed confidence. After that, you could almost see the belief increase that Pompey wouldn't score, and the game followed from there.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:29 pm
jam tomorrow wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:22 pm We have got to be totally honest with ourselves how many of this team have the quality needed to get us out of this dire league?
I'd keep the following:

Big Mac.
Johnson.
Downing.
Brown.
Close.
Naylor.
Williams.
Marquis.
Harness.

I'd sell Curtis to try and fund a rebuilt and I don't think all of those named should be automatic picks on the team sheet but they should be retained.

I like the look of Byers he had something the rest don't but I can't see anyone being in a rush to come on loan to us.

In reality I think we will let nearly all those out of contract go / they won't stay.
You'd keep the bulk of the players who have performed so miserably this season??

Jesus wept!!
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I'm able to recognise that a number of them are better than their performances for parts of this season and who's ability is hard to replace at this level e.g. Marquis and Harness.

To a lesser extent Williams fits that bracket too but he can play a number of positions and works very hard. You need a utility man in the squad.

Johnson is fine for me as a right back. Lee Brown is fine as a left back.

Naylor breaks up play incredibly well but he is limited with his distribution. Close is a good passer of the ball. Both are limited but we're in league one.

I don't think any of those listed above are bad players on their day they are very good. The team as a whole has struggled this season - but not everyone has been a bad player.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Betelgeuse wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:17 pm
You'd keep the bulk of the players who have performed so miserably this season??

Jesus wept!!
Some of them are under contract. It's retain or pay to go away. I can't imagine that there are many clubs lining up to take them off our hands.

These are the senior players who are out of contract at the end of June (inc. loans).

MacGillivray
Daniels, Nicolaisen, Whatmough, Mnoga
White, Byers, Naylor, Williams, Cannon, Close, Morris
Hiwula

So, the basis for any rebuild is the following.

Bass
Johnson, Brown, Downing, Raggett, Bolton
Curtis, Harness, Jacobs
Marquis, Harrison, Hackett-Fairchild

As far as I can see, but I am not sure about Jacobs or Morris.

Edit: check shows that Morris is out of contract as well (2.5 years from January 2019), but Jacobs has one more year. Moved Morris.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by jam tomorrow »

In my opinion there is another aspect to look at and that is the character of players not only their playing abilities. Cowley mentioned we were not brave enough and that is the make up of the players.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

jam tomorrow wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:06 pm In my opinion there is another aspect to look at and that is the character of players not only their playing abilities. Cowley mentioned we were not brave enough and that is the make up of the players.
I agree with that. We were a relatively well organised side under Jackett without any real flair. Even the likes of Curtis and Harness don't tend to best a player with a trick.

So when a number of the parts of the machine aren't functioning the whole machine fails.

I wonder how much of an effect the uncertainty comes into play for the players who are out of contract.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 164 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:33 pm I'm able to recognise that a number of them are better than their performances for parts of this season and who's ability is hard to replace at this level e.g. Marquis and Harness.

To a lesser extent Williams fits that bracket too but he can play a number of positions and works very hard. You need a utility man in the squad.

Johnson is fine for me as a right back. Lee Brown is fine as a left back.

Naylor breaks up play incredibly well but he is limited with his distribution. Close is a good passer of the ball. Both are limited but we're in league one.

I don't think any of those listed above are bad players on their day they are very good. The team as a whole has struggled this season - but not everyone has been a bad player.
I'd keep Johnson, Mac, Brown and possibly Curtis. Try and flog Harness and Marquis, we can do a lot better than those bottlers. Williams too unless we can't replace him.

We need mentally strong players. Most of ours appear to be the opposite.
meakinsl
Milan Mandaric
Been liked: 5 times

Post by meakinsl »

Mmmm, you start to wander if KJ could have got this lot into the top 6, as he at least knew how to grind out results even though I hated the style of play, we threw the change of manager dice and lost, I was very vocal wanting KJ out but interesting to see for all the talk the Cowley's were no better at achieving the aim of play-offs'
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Betelgeuse wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:29 pm
I'd keep Johnson, Mac, Brown and possibly Curtis.
[/quote]

What is this love affair with Curtis? I just can't understand it..the guy was ok ish when he first joined but rapidly went downhill once opponents got to know his way of playing. His mental state is all wrong, he's not the fastest, he can't tackle and finds it difficult to beat defenders. Admittedly he has a pretty good shot on him and he can put in a cross...but he's not, and don't think he ever will be, anything special. Sell him on..there is much better out there. 8)
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

meakinsl wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:32 pm Mmmm, you start to wander if KJ could have got this lot into the top 6, as he at least knew how to grind out results even though I hated the style of play, we threw the change of manager dice and lost, I was very vocal wanting KJ out but interesting to see for all the talk the Cowley's were no better at achieving the aim of play-offs'
Surely this was KJ's team? The Cowleys had only 8 (?) games to turn the season around - hardly appropriate to blame them.

Basically, this team is a slightly above-average League 1 side that would never survive a season in the Championship, even if we were successful in the playoffs. A radical overhaul is essential - probably with the Cowleys for want of a better managing team.

In addition, I think that we have seriously missed our fan support this year - more than most other Div 1 sides - because of the massive size, the passion and commitment that would have been delivered to the team. Fratton Park today would have been a totally different place!
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

Fact. We are not only out of the play offs - we had several poor performances. Where is the evidence to support staying with the Cowleys? Talk. That’s about it. Nice guys. That’s why we are all not blaming them.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb