Accrington Stanley

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Re: Accrington Stanley

Post by jam tomorrow »

The word came to me just now to explain what we get with the likes of Marquis, Harness, Williams, and a few others and the word is “Flakey” they are not mentally strong enough to provide consistent performances. Forget about Hiwula as well he was discarded by Coventry for a reason. It will be a good move to keep White also Byers if we can, let Naylor go as he does not inspire or command the team.I would also release Cannon, Raggett, Bolton, Harrison, and Daniels hopefully we can sort out fitness of Jacobs as he is a keeper.We then have a base of Big Mac, Bass, Brown, Johnson, Downing, Whatmough, Close, Curtis, Jacobs, Byers, White. to build from
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times

Post by Dinksy »

New Forester wrote:Fact. We are not only out of the play offs - we had several poor performances. Where is the evidence to support staying with the Cowleys? Talk. That’s about it. Nice guys. That’s why we are all not blaming them.
Exactly. We'd love them to be the right fit for us but sadly the evidence is that they have been unable to motivate a team with the right mindset and tactics to win a match against a side we played less than two weeks ago. That's not Jackett's fault and, like another poster here, I too, wonder what he might have been able to achieve if we hadn't pressed the button.

Where was the brave new world today? Where were the expansive tactics? The quick attacks, one touch passing, high-tempo, high pressure game? They'd had over a week to prepare for this FFS!

Thanks Danny, it's been nice having your smile and positive demeanour around Pompey but you and your brother blew it.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

jam tomorrow wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:05 pm We then have a base of Big Mac, Bass, Brown, Johnson, Downing, Whatmough, Close, Curtis, Jacobs, Byers, White. to build from
The bolded players are out of contract. It is not just our choice, they can go where they like. Do they want to stay at Pompey? Can they earn more elsewhere, or play at a higher level?

Other players have contracts with Pompey that we have to honour. It is not just a case of choosing who we keep and who we let go. It's negotiation; players and other clubs have a role to play.

Not getting at you JT, but a lot of posts on this thread seem to assume that we can do whatever we want with players.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Such a poor performance for such a big game. I hope thats the last we see of quite a few of those players in all honesty. They've shown time & again they haven't the heart for it when it really matters.
As for the Cowleys, who knows? This is Jacketts squad & talk of he may've got them over the line in terms of playoffs-I doubt it very much. We were going backwards @ a alarming rate up to the point of his sacking.
But I just dont know is the answer about the Cowley Brothers, 1st 3 games i/c we saw fast attacking/pressing football with neat triangles all over the pitch. Where the hell did that go. Compare it to todays performance where we were so slow all over the pitch, lacking in belief & off the ball movement.
I just dont bl**dy know what to think & I'd humbly suggest MC holds fire regarding the management job & let the dust settle. Bitterly disappointed by today but ultimately not surprised. This team just doesn't do it when the chips are down.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Okay so we say goodbye to the Cowley’s who have blown it although the players shoulder most of the blame however we should not let Catlin or the Eisners make a decision on who takes over because they know jack shxt about the game. Let’s appoint a Sports Director that knows the game has a vision who can plan the way ahead and make the right coach appointment.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by New Forester »

I notice that as far as I remember nobody has criticised the owners. They bear the ultimate responsibility. Brick by brick. At this rate I’ll be long gone before we make the Premiership again. I did note the previous post.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

jam tomorrow wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:30 pm Okay so we say goodbye to the Cowley’s who have blown it although the players shoulder most of the blame however we should not let Catlin or the Eisners make a decision on who takes over because they know jack shxt about the game. Let’s appoint a Sports Director that knows the game has a vision who can plan the way ahead and make the right coach appointment.
:thumb
I'm not sure we should be saying goodbye to them. In truth I just dont know. But you're right about a Sports Director-spot on.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

uspompeyfan wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:02 pm Cowley's seemed to know they were done before kick off - so did the team. Curtiss played for a transfer, and I am struggling tot hink of anyone who comes off the field with credibility other than their keeper.
Please please please someone come in and offer top money for Curtis. He thinks he is a cut above and he really isn't. He has flashes of class yes but for every one of those there are 20-40 moments when he looks like a league two player at best. He is determined I will give him that but would we really be that worse off if he left and any money we get for him is reinvested in a player or two?
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

jam tomorrow wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:22 pm We have got to be totally honest with ourselves how many of this team have the quality needed to get us out of this dire league?
honestly, I believe in Harness but he should be producing more than he is. Other than that, sorry but no.
Fratboy Slim
Robbie Pethick

Post by Fratboy Slim »

I think there's a bigger picture here. At Xmas we were top of the league, not having conceded a goal for several games and having beaten most of the teams that have now finished above us. What went wrong?
Jackett's tactics didn't change (we were still pretty dire to watch) but suddenly we weren't getting results. Bring in White, Byers and Daniels in January and things didn't improve. Hence Jackett went and the Cowley's came in. OK they have a completely different mindset on how to play the game, but the players, who only 3 months previously were one of the better squads in the division, have fallen apart. It has to be down to a player distraction. They didn't suddenly become carp overnight.
The contract situation of several may have had an impact, but I'm convinced there is a 'behind the scenes problem'.
The only way we are going to move forward is to remove that situation. So I think a combination of moving several players on and bringing in some that fit the Cowley's style of play, which might also include a root and branch overhaul of the off pitch setup, is the only way I see us even being a top half team next season.
Right here, right now - yeah, I've come a long way Baby!!
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Fratboy Slim wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:19 pm I think there's a bigger picture here. At Xmas we were top of the league, not having conceded a goal for several games and having beaten most of the teams that have now finished above us. What went wrong?
Jackett's tactics didn't change (we were still pretty dire to watch) but suddenly we weren't getting results. Bring in White, Byers and Daniels in January and things didn't improve. Hence Jackett went and the Cowley's came in. OK they have a completely different mindset on how to play the game, but the players, who only 3 months previously were one of the better squads in the division, have fallen apart. It has to be down to a player distraction. They didn't suddenly become carp overnight.
The contract situation of several may have had an impact, but I'm convinced there is a 'behind the scenes problem'.
The only way we are going to move forward is to remove that situation. So I think a combination of moving several players on and bringing in some that fit the Cowley's style of play, which might also include a root and branch overhaul of the off pitch setup, is the only way I see us even being a top half team next season.
Your post has a lot of merit - the situation certainly seems odd and KJ did appear to be unpopular in the end with the players, so maybe they'd made up their minds to leave regardless.

The other explanation is that these players are in League One for a reason - inconsistency. They have ability but just aren't able to produce it week-in, week-out.

Either way, culture change is needed and the Cowleys seem as good an option as anyone at the moment - and the polar opposite of KJ, which is good.
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by portchesterblue »

Dinksy wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:11 pm
New Forester wrote:Fact. We are not only out of the play offs - we had several poor performances. Where is the evidence to support staying with the Cowleys? Talk. That’s about it. Nice guys. That’s why we are all not blaming them.
Exactly. We'd love them to be the right fit for us but sadly the evidence is that they have been unable to motivate a team with the right mindset and tactics to win a match against a side we played less than two weeks ago. That's not Jackett's fault and, like another poster here, I too, wonder what he might have been able to achieve if we hadn't pressed the button.

Where was the brave new world today? Where were the expansive tactics? The quick attacks, one touch passing, high-tempo, high pressure game? They'd had over a week to prepare for this FFS!

Thanks Danny, it's been nice having your smile and positive demeanour around Pompey but you and your brother blew it.
You think jackett would have achieved anything if we had not sacked him?? The team were on a losing streak, lost a cup final in pathetic fashion and were clearly clueless about tactics. Those players are the same players who managed to win 4 on the bounce under the new managent, then reverted to type.
Please explain to me what else the cowley could have done to get marquis to be able to shoot, or Williams to be able to cross??
If you think we should ditch them now, we won't have a manager for more than 6 months ever again
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Suddenly the Cowleys are not the answer according to many now, how fickle. If we had won today the Cowleys would be magicans, according to the same people
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
NSRailings
Alan Knight
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by NSRailings »

Dinksy wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:11 pmWhere was the brave new world today? Where were the expansive tactics? The quick attacks, one touch passing, high-tempo, high pressure game? They'd had over a week to prepare for this FFS!

You seriously think it's as straight forward as that? Change a load of players just like that. It takes more than a couple of months.

Pompey is a great club to play at. Bigger than most in L1, good facilities - very cushy. Some players will know they're not good enough should we go up and just want to stay where they've got it good. It happens everywhere. New people come in and want to make changes (ie - you lot need to work harder) - current employees dig their heals in and flatter to deceive at first before reverting to type.

Would be interesting to see what difference having fans there would've made this season.
Super Matt Macey in goal...
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times

Post by Dinksy »

Okay, let's have the compelling arguments why the Cowleys are better than other managerial options out there.
I keep asking but the silence speaks for itself.....as do what our eyes have been witness to.