Accrington Stanley

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: Accrington Stanley

Post by pompeygunner »

Dinksy wrote:Okay, let's have the compelling arguments why the Cowleys are better than other managerial options out there.
I keep asking but the silence speaks for itself.....as do what our eyes have been witness to.
Personally as I said up thread ref the Cowleys I dont know, but your assertion about Kenny wasn't quite right. We were sinking like a stone, down to 8th & only going one way. @ least the Cowleys had us in with a chance on the final day. But this team are a law unto themselves. I sincerely hope we've seen the last of a lot of them. Then if its the Cowleys lets get behind them & let them forge their own squad, with a bit of backbone hopefully.
But I'm as confused as the next person how they can play wimbledon off the pitch one week & just 8 days later play so feebly.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Dinksy wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:52 pm Okay, let's have the compelling arguments why the Cowleys are better than other managerial options out there.
I keep asking but the silence speaks for itself.....as do what our eyes have been witness to.
Reckon you have made your mind up that you don't want the Cowleys and that is your prerogative. However, let's reverse your comment and YOU tell us who YOU think we should attempt to get as our next manager. But remember, consider: are they available? could we afford them? would they want to come? A very important consideration...would they be any better than the Cowleys? Answer = we don't know because we haven't properly tested the Cowleys plus who knows what somebody else could do? After all, Mourinho was supposed to be the greatest but couldn't succeed at either Spurs or ManU despite having some of the best players in the world!! (I would hazard a guess he would have failed at Pompey as well given the squad inherited) 8)
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

eltorrro wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:14 pm
Dinksy wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:52 pm Okay, let's have the compelling arguments why the Cowleys are better than other managerial options out there.
Reckon you have made your mind up that you don't want the Cowleys and that is your prerogative. However, let's reverse your comment and YOU tell us who YOU think we should attempt to get as our next manager. But remember, consider: are they available? could we afford them? would they want to come? A very important consideration...would they be any better than the Cowleys? Answer = we don't know because we haven't properly tested the Cowleys plus who knows what somebody else could do? After all, Mourinho was supposed to be the greatest but couldn't succeed at either Spurs or ManU despite having some of the best players in the world!! (I would hazard a guess he would have failed at Pompey as well given the squad inherited) 8)
eltorro, I haven't closed my mind to the Cowleys but the evidence I've seen is the same chop-and-change of personnel and systems we had under the last days of KJ. It suggests that those in charge don't know what they are doing and are panicking.

To answer your question, I believe we should have a manager more experienced and with a track record at this level. I think Daniel Stendel is good fit while, as I have mentioned, I am a great admirer of John Coleman who doesn't suffer fools gladly. I'm sure he would have given some of our consistent under-performers like Harness and Marquis short shrift. And, of course, he has produced a resilient side season after season on a miniscule budget.

I'm sure Catlin and co have already decided to stick with the Cowleys but I'm curious to know what specifics have convinced fans they can do the job that's required.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Dinksy wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:32 pm
eltorrro wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:14 pm
eltorro, I haven't closed my mind to the Cowleys but the evidence I've seen is the same chop-and-change of personnel and systems we had under the last days of KJ. It suggests that those in charge don't know what they are doing and are panicking.

To answer your question, I believe we should have a manager more experienced and with a track record at this level. I think Daniel Stendel is good fit while, as I have mentioned, I am a great admirer of John Coleman who doesn't suffer fools gladly. I'm sure he would have given some of our consistent under-performers like Harness and Marquis short shrift. And, of course, he has produced a resilient side season after season on a miniscule budget.

I'm sure Catlin and co have already decided to stick with the Cowleys but I'm curious to know what specifics have convinced fans they can do the job that's required.
I understand your thinking but:
Perhaps the 'chop and change' was due to not getting the required performance from players or trying different formations/partnerships. After all we know how inconsistent all these players have been over...well, forever!!
Would Daniel Stendel come? How do you know he hasn't been approached or even turned us down? What makes you think Coleman would leave Accy for us? I think the problem lies in the fact that those at the top who make the decision on the manager are business minded and not football savvy and will probably choose somebody from a business perspective and not footy sense.
Afraid we fans will always have to take what we're given!!
Re your last comment..don't think the fans needed convincing - they just wanted Jackett out and would have accepted Mr Bean in preference!! 8)
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Strendel and his assistant were prepared to come but they didn't want the short term deal.

I'm not sure we have seen enough from the Cowley's to warrant the level of excitement we're seeing in the Pompey media circus - perhaps they just like the fact he talks... A lot.

Time will tell if they are the answer. Their record at Lincoln is fantastic. Huddersfield less so, but they did turn around a woeful side.

I worry about how they will fare in the transfers market they come across as a bit of a lower league Harry in so much as a number of players seem to have followed them around - but we shall see.

I'd just like to see a Pompey side turn up for 90 odd minutes whoever the manager is.

If Paul Warne was to leave Rotherham I'd crawl down the M1 with him on my back.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

pompeygunner wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:12 pm
Dinksy wrote:Okay, let's have the compelling arguments why the Cowleys are better than other managerial options out there.
Personally as I said up thread ref the Cowleys I dont know, but your assertion about Kenny wasn't quite right. We were sinking like a stone, down to 8th & only going one way. @ least the Cowleys had us in with a chance on the final day. But this team are a law unto themselves. I sincerely hope we've seen the last of a lot of them. Then if its the Cowleys lets get behind them & let them forge their own squad, with a bit of backbone hopefully.
But I'm as confused as the next person how they can play wimbledon off the pitch one week & just 8 days later play so feebly.
I suppose the best argument for keeping the Cowley's is that they will have had a good look at the squad and will be fully aware of what they can, and can't, do. They say they like to play fast attacking football but it seems this present squad can't. So is it the management not able to get the team out of the Jackett stranglehold or the players not up to it? My veiw it is the players are not up to it.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Didn't watch, didn't listen, glad I didn't.

However, I'm told that Sky played crowd noise during the minute of silence for Macca.

One more reason to hate everything about them.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Like everyone else I am just so disappointed at our team's embarrassing capitulation today. How anyone can defend that first half performance is beyond me. Let's be quite truthful Accrington deserved their win and were the better team. That's Accrington Stanley, a club with resources nowhere near that of Portsmouth, looked like the side that needed to win to get into the Playoffs and really wanted it more than our little cherubs. It was disgustingly embarrassing.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Dinksy »

In conclusion....
......I agree with el torro that Mr Bean was going to be more popular than KJ as an appointment and as it was, the Cowley's have been like a breath of fresh air OFF the field.

Blue Walter makes a fair point about the Cowleys at least having a good appreciation of the squad's failings having already been here for six weeks. A new appointment would have to start from scratch. I suppose either way's a gamble. I just hope that the Cowley's can deliver the style of football they have talked about because that's what everyone wants. If we don't see it quickly next season - none of this 'oh the new players are still bedding in' nonsense - we will know we have been duped.

The good news is that we will be back at Fratton next season. That has got to be a bonus. And the fact that unlike the fans of Hull and Peterborough, we will enjoy the feeling of any promotion first hand.
PUP :thumb
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by portchesterblue »

No you are completely right. What we should do is bring in someone else, anyone else apparently, and if they don't win all of their first 10 games, we ditch them and start again, and repeat the cycle, that's the way to get on in thus game, been proves time and again
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

portchesterblue wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:57 am
No you are completely right. What we should do is bring in someone else, anyone else apparently, and if they don't win all of their first 10 games, we ditch them and start again, and repeat the cycle, that's the way to get on in thus game, been proves time and again
I'm not sure that's what anyone is suggesting. Thet had 13 games all against teams below us in the league - mostly below those right at the bottom.

There have undeniably been some positives e.g. the first few games but we have then reverted to type. The first half yesterday was unacceptable and that sits with the 'group' that's players, managers and coaches.

I want every Portsmouth manager to succeed because I want my club to succeed - but the first half yesterday was unacceptable as have several other performances under their stewardship.

Hand on heart could anyone tell the difference between a Cowley side and a Jackett side? Maybe for pockets of a few games you could but the majority of their games here it's been the same as the rest of the season - just with different sound bites - including telling the world how they want the game to be played.

Whoever takes over has a lot of work to do and won't have any excuses next season mistakes in the transfer market could really leave us scuppered if we aren't careful.
Rick Pumpkin
Alan Biley

Post by Rick Pumpkin »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:56 am Hand on heart could anyone tell the difference between a Cowley side and a Jackett side?
I'd argue that out of necessity for the last six weeks a Cowley side was a Jackett side. There could be no other way because the Cowley's didn't have any opportunity to bring in their own players and as we pretty much suspected, the lumpen-footed plodders were below par for a promotion push and unable to take on a new style of play for anything other than brief periods.

I still can't listen to DC's pre- and post-match interviews and think he loves the sound of his own voice, but I still think that he and his brother deserve the opportunity to put their stamp on the club.

The other name that keeps getting mentioned, Stendel, doesn't inspire me with much confidence. He lasted just over a year at Barnsley and admittedly got them promoted in that time, but Kenny Jackett has done that twice in the same division. Stendel also walked in to a failing Hearts, a similar situation the Cowleys' found themselves in at Pompey, and bombed out there.
Last edited by Rick Pumpkin on Mon May 10, 2021 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Pumpkin
Alan Biley

Post by Rick Pumpkin »

Blue Walter wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:55 pm Like everyone else I am just so disappointed at our team's embarrassing capitulation today. How anyone can defend that first half performance is beyond me. Let's be quite truthful Accrington deserved their win and were the better team. That's Accrington Stanley, a club with resources nowhere near that of Portsmouth, looked like the side that needed to win to get into the Playoffs and really wanted it more than our little cherubs. It was disgustingly embarrassing.
You hit the nail on the head, Accrington embarrassed Pompey yesterday. The players looked defeated from the off and it wouldn't bother me one jot (or maybe even two jots) if every one of those out of contract never wore a Pompey shirt again. OK, there may be some talent hidden amongst them, but not one player can say they were outstanding on a sustained level this last season. No doubt MacGillivray deserved his award, the arguable best of a bad bunch, although his performances have dropped off of late and it'd probably do him well to have a fresh start somewhere else.

The spotlight's now fixed firmly on Catlin and the owners to sort this mess and make sure next season, when supporters are back at FP, a bunch of insipid, weak, surrender monkeys aren't sent out each week in a blue shirt.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Dinksy »

Pompey1984+1 wrote:
portchesterblue wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:57 am
I'm not sure that's what anyone is suggesting.
I believe it was an attempt at irony. Although it could have just been fatuous.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Over the whole season we beat everyone at the top once, apart from Blackpool. The Cowleys took 20 points from 12 games. We made lots of chances that we did not take and gave away too many free kicks in dangerous positions. Hull & Peterborough were the `stand out` Teams who we beat before christmas, the Posh one in front of a noisy Fratton End. If we had had fans in this season who knows where we would have finished. Disappointment all round lets move on. If it is to be the Cowleys, get it done quickly. If someone else equally do it now!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man