What went wrong Big Mac

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Re: What went wrong Big Mac

Post by Portchester PFC »

I am wondering if the Cowley's have come in, tried to work with what they have got, seen what some of these players are really about and have thrown a few home truths into them ? There is clearly tension between them and Curtis, there were comments that they have been working with him on his attitude, personally i think his attitude stinks. He is clearly a talented player but his negativity when things don't go his way is shocking, soon as a decision/ball/move or whatever doesn't go his way he has little petulant stamp of the feet, i actually think in his mind he believes he is far better than he actually is.

I hope that the Cowley's are given the opportunity to build their own team very early on, seems that they are intending to do that, hope the club supports them. If they have the best part of the summer to build their own team then there is nowhere for them to hide next season. At the moment i have faith that they will assemble a strong team and we will be up there next season.
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Rick Pumpkin
Alan Biley

Post by Rick Pumpkin »

Portchester PFC wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:23 am I am wondering if the Cowley's have come in, tried to work with what they have got, seen what some of these players are really about and have thrown a few home truths into them ? There is clearly tension between them and Curtis, there were comments that they have been working with him on his attitude, personally i think his attitude stinks. He is clearly a talented player but his negativity when things don't go his way is shocking, soon as a decision/ball/move or whatever doesn't go his way he has little petulant stamp of the feet, i actually think in his mind he believes he is far better than he actually is.

I hope that the Cowley's are given the opportunity to build their own team very early on, seems that they are intending to do that, hope the club supports them. If they have the best part of the summer to build their own team then there is nowhere for them to hide next season. At the moment i have faith that they will assemble a strong team and we will be up there next season.
To me it feels similar to the situation Redknapp found himself in when he took over at the club, albeit with an even less talented squad should that be possible. He was ruthless in getting rid of the abject failures we had at the time, which to be honest was 90% of the players from the Rix era.

Unfortunately we don't have a Crouch to cash in on that will fund the rebuilding, but compared to the summer of 2002 there's a lot more players going to be looking for work in the coming months and in the Championship and L1 includes some decent talent. It's now down to Del Boy and Rodney to sell the club to the players they want as a part of their team for next season and, fingers crossed, our East End barrow boys* can do a good enough job to have a decent go at promotion.

*I know Havering is miles from the East End, but that's what they remind me of when they talk.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Weybridge wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:24 am
Jack_Tinn wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:05 am I am getting a little irritated by multiple players coming out and telling the press what they thing went wrong. Surely, if the players such as the GK, WIlliams and Close knew what was going wrong then they should have spoken up and held a players only meeting to sort it out.

There is no much gained talking about what was going wrong a few days after the season!
In fairness to the players, they're not. Its supporters groups and the media who want the post-mortem. The quotes are just responses to questions posed to them by the press. They're not picking up the phone and calling The News just to get something off their chest or dodge blame.
agreed. I understand that this is media driven rather than player driven. It is still irritating and there is no sign of personal accountability. Then there is the incident on Sunday night involving senior players to consider......entitled and tone deaf is just where I would start.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Portchester PFC wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:23 am I am wondering if the Cowley's have come in, tried to work with what they have got, seen what some of these players are really about and have thrown a few home truths into them ? There is clearly tension between them and Curtis, there were comments that they have been working with him on his attitude, personally i think his attitude stinks. He is clearly a talented player but his negativity when things don't go his way is shocking, soon as a decision/ball/move or whatever doesn't go his way he has little petulant stamp of the feet, i actually think in his mind he believes he is far better than he actually is.
That's an interesting shout, and sounds very plausible.

I wonder, though, if your assessment of Curtis' mindset is not quite there though. I see similar behaviour with my son, who has very low self-esteem. He believes (wrongly) that if anything he does isn't perfect, all the spectators, all his team-mates, and his coaches (of which I am one) will be blaming him, and thinking what an awful player he is. He uses the apparently-petulant behaviour to try to indicate that he too is annoyed, and blames himself.

I could of course be completely wrong. Curtis could just be a perfectionist. Or, indeed, he could believe he is far better than he actually is.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Fans complain that Curtis is too emotional. Fans complain that the players don't (seem to) care. Fans complain...
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Pompey Penguin wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:36 pm Fans complain that Curtis is too emotional. Fans complain that the players don't (seem to) care. Fans complain...
But there are different emotions and they have positives and negatives, i have absolutely no problem with players being emotional and showing passion, but sometimes Curtis exhibits this in a negative way, that is the problem with him. It was specifically called out that the Cowleys have been working with him to address his attitude, i think that was a subtle dig/wake up call for him from them.
Heaven's Light Our Guide
Portchester PFC
Kev the Kitman

Locky_McLockface wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:08 pm
That's an interesting shout, and sounds very plausible.

I wonder, though, if your assessment of Curtis' mindset is not quite there though. I see similar behaviour with my son, who has very low self-esteem. He believes (wrongly) that if anything he does isn't perfect, all the spectators, all his team-mates, and his coaches (of which I am one) will be blaming him, and thinking what an awful player he is. He uses the apparently-petulant behaviour to try to indicate that he too is annoyed, and blames himself.

I could of course be completely wrong. Curtis could just be a perfectionist. Or, indeed, he could believe he is far better than he actually is.
That is a very interesting perspective Locky, i am not sure if Curtis has low self esteem, i think he is a very talented player and i think he knows that, sometimes too much so, to the point i think his assessment of his abilities is somewhat higher than they are. This may be brought out through frustration with some of his team mates, which to be fair, is not difficult !

The biggest issue i have with him is when he loses the ball, or the slightest thing goes wrong, his head goes too quickly, he rarely tracks back after losing the ball. He is no doubt very talented but also very frustrating !
Heaven's Light Our Guide
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

If you add the Curtis emotional attitude together with other player issues one with low confidence. At least two of them who are inconsistent, a centre back who is erratic and needs a partner to steady him.A back who is vice captain and let’s opposing players get through on the inside. A captain who can’t pass and does not command the team. You have a recipe for disaster we were lucky to finish 8th. Not to mention the players who don’t care about the club and beat up the public.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson