League One review don’t fancy us

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 146 times

Re: League One review don’t fancy us

Post by Sam_Brown »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:45 pm I've got to be honest, at the start of the summer, with all the people exiting, and very few entering, I would have agreed with him. However, Ogilvie apart, he hasn't mentioned any of our signings, so it strikes me that he hasn't done so much research on us as he has the other teams. I am hoping that we'll prove him soundly wrong, although I do think we'll probably struggle to get in the playoffs.
Think I agree Locky. It's a big rebuild job no mistake and probably one that's going to take multiple seasons. I'm definitely a bit more at ease than I was when it seemed like it was a revolving door of people leaving but don't quite fancy us to go up just yet and if we do go up not sure we have the quality to stay up. If it's a choice of going up this season and coming right back down or going up next with a bit more of a chance of staying up I think I'd prefer the latter. Some of the signings look like they would be good for the Championship but not enough of the squad to make me feel like we'd be able to compete if we did go up at the moment.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

I like to think that if we did go up we'd strengthen quite significantly, but I just don't know with the Eisners...they don't seem to be willing to spend anything on the playing side other than what we generate.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Betelgeuse wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:13 pm I like to think that if we did go up we'd strengthen quite significantly, but I just don't know with the Eisners...they don't seem to be willing to spend anything on the playing side other than what we generate.
I agree here. I don't believe you have to spend big to get promoted out of League One. A decent base of talent, some good form, good luck and hard work should be enough. But I do believe you have to spend to stay in the Champs. I think if we do get promoted from a 'sustainable' budget, then we'll be able to eat certain contracts of those we need to replace without it punishing us too badly in the accounts ledger.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Blue Walter »

The thing is that if we were to go up that would mean our team is too good for League 1. That would mean we would belong in the league above, in other words Championship standard. However, I don't think that will come into it because I think we will be mid table next season. The excuse/reason has been given already by telling us it will take 3 transfer windows to get the team that the manager wants. Three windows really means two seasons. So next season it's mid table followed by a season of improvement. After that we go for gold. I hope I am wrong of course and, as they say, it's a funny old game which could see us storm up the table from the off and win the league. We go up and money bags Wigan and Ipswich get relegated.
Northstander
Gary O'Neil

Post by Northstander »

Blue Walter wrote:The thing is that if we were to go up that would mean our team is too good for League 1. That would mean we would belong in the league above, in other words Championship standard. However, I don't think that will come into it because I think we will be mid table next season. The excuse/reason has been given already by telling us it will take 3 transfer windows to get the team that the manager wants. Three windows really means two seasons. So next season it's mid table followed by a season of improvement. After that we go for gold. I hope I am wrong of course and, as they say, it's a funny old game which could see us storm up the table from the off and win the league. We go up and money bags Wigan and Ipswich get relegated.
Mid table at best yes (as I Posted somewhere but cant find it)