Running! - Anyone on here run \ jog at all?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 146 times

Re: Running! - Anyone on here run \ jog at all?

Post by Sam_Brown »

Just a quick update for anyone interested. I've been doing the aerobic training for a few weeks now. My times have been coming down slowly but not drastically but what I do enjoy is that actually I look forward to my runs at the moment! I know they aren't going to cripple me like they used to in the past when maybe I'd let me ego get ahead of me and push too much too soon. I guess as long as times keep coming down I can't complain.

I've also noticed playing football a bit more recently that I'm really feeling the benefit in that as well in that I don't tend to get as tired as quickly as I used to and while I'm not the fittest guy on the pitch I'm a bit more happy to venture out of defence for a bit and venture into midfield or.... *gasp* even the oppositions half :rofl . Might try and start mixing it up a bit moving forwards and add a bit of speed work but I guess it's all going in the right direction.

Diet on the other hand... :lol:
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Didn't spot this the first time around.

I started running at the back end of 2019, the weather was awful, so I cancelled the boys' football training, and the wife dragged me to parkrun (Portsmouth Lakeside). I can't say I enjoyed it, I ran more than I walked, but I was pleased that I'd finished.

A couple of weeks later, the same scenario. This time I was flat last (apart from the tail-walkers). But still pleased that I'd finished it, both times were around 44mins.

THe next week, being the first Sat of school Christmas holidays, we didn't have training anyway, so I went again. Managed to go a whole mile before walking, and I was actually quite chuffed with myself.

Then came Christmas Day, and parkrun at Southsea. I did the whole thing without walking at all.

I then came across Great Run Local, which was basically parkrun on a Sunday, organised by the charitable arm of the Great Run Company. I got gradually quicker and quicker over the next few months.

I entered a couple of 10K runs, but lockdown put paid to them, however during lockdowns, my wife and I carried on running by ourselves, and I started doing an extra km here and there, and and we ended up doing a 10K on a Saturday and a Sunday.

A couple of weeks ago, I did the Southampton 10K, my first actual organised race, and loved it. I shall be doing the Great South Run next month.

Stick with it, Sam, the endorphin hit is wonderful!!
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:01 pm Didn't spot this the first time around.

I started running at the back end of 2019, the weather was awful, so I cancelled the boys' football training, and the wife dragged me to parkrun (Portsmouth Lakeside). I can't say I enjoyed it, I ran more than I walked, but I was pleased that I'd finished.

A couple of weeks later, the same scenario. This time I was flat last (apart from the tail-walkers). But still pleased that I'd finished it, both times were around 44mins.

THe next week, being the first Sat of school Christmas holidays, we didn't have training anyway, so I went again. Managed to go a whole mile before walking, and I was actually quite chuffed with myself.

Then came Christmas Day, and parkrun at Southsea. I did the whole thing without walking at all.

I then came across Great Run Local, which was basically parkrun on a Sunday, organised by the charitable arm of the Great Run Company. I got gradually quicker and quicker over the next few months.

I entered a couple of 10K runs, but lockdown put paid to them, however during lockdowns, my wife and I carried on running by ourselves, and I started doing an extra km here and there, and and we ended up doing a 10K on a Saturday and a Sunday.

A couple of weeks ago, I did the Southampton 10K, my first actual organised race, and loved it. I shall be doing the Great South Run next month.

Thank you. Next time I'm down and staying over I might look into doing one of the Pompey park runs. I've learnt from friends that apparently there is quite a community in terms of people who try and visit as many different locations as possible. I know there are two in Northampton and we have Kettering and Milton Keynes not too far as well! Sounds like it could get addictive.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Sam_Brown wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:13 pm
Locky_McLockface wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:01 pm Didn't spot this the first time around.

Thank you. Next time I'm down and staying over I might look into doing one of the Pompey park runs. I've learnt from friends that apparently there is quite a community in terms of people who try and visit as many different locations as possible. I know there are two in Northampton and we have Kettering and Milton Keynes not too far as well! Sounds like it could get addictive.
Yes, there are people who are serial "tourists" There's a challenge where you have to go to at least one parkrun starting with each of the 25 letters of the alphabet (excluding "X"). Many people have done it, although it does necessitate you going to Poland, as that's the only parkrun in the world starting with a "Z"

When you do come down, give me a shout and I'll guide you round.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by New Forester »

A warning. Unless you are very fit give the New Forest 10 (miles) a miss. Start time 1pm on a hot July day a few years ago and one was enough for me.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Went to a beer festival at the weekend and out for a run today and still don't think I've fully recovered! Amazing how important diet \ not drinking like a fish is in terms of getting the most out of your body.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Getting too old for this. managed to pull my hamstring playing football tonight. Guess that’ll be me out for a while 🥲.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Well that was a pain. Finally got the go ahead from the physio to start running again. Had a couple of runs now but not great times but just happy to be back out again.

On the other side I went to the local country park for my run not too long ago and had an issue with parking where the machine ate my money and went to the ranger and he noticed it I wearing a Pompey top. Turned out he was a Saints fan. Had a bit of banter for a bit but genuinely nice guy and managed to get my money back as well. "nicest thing I've ever done for a skate" he said which made me laugh.

Now everytime I run past him now it's always the same "alright scummer", "alright skate" exchange but always in good humour. I remember there was another thread on taking the rivalry too seriously I was going to put this in but I couldn't find it and thought this would be an ok place as well. Going to have a chat about volunteering up there over Christmas as they are doing a bit of refurb work at the moment but wouldn't if I hadn't had the interesting encounter with this particular scummer.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Sam_Brown wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:39 pm Well that was a pain. Finally got the go ahead from the physio to start running again. Had a couple of runs now but not great times but just happy to be back out again.

On the other side I went to the local country park for my run not too long ago and had an issue with parking where the machine ate my money and went to the ranger and he noticed it I wearing a Pompey top. Turned out he was a Saints fan. Had a bit of banter for a bit but genuinely nice guy and managed to get my money back as well. "nicest thing I've ever done for a skate" he said which made me laugh.

Now everytime I run past him now it's always the same "alright scummer", "alright skate" exchange but always in good humour. I remember there was another thread on taking the rivalry too seriously I was going to put this in but I couldn't find it and thought this would be an ok place as well. Going to have a chat about volunteering up there over Christmas as they are doing a bit of refurb work at the moment but wouldn't if I hadn't had the interesting encounter with this particular scummer.
Which country park is that Sam?
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

Seeing this thread again reminded me of what I regard as one of my most satisfying sporting moments. It was about setting realistic goals. I started lugging my 13st frame to the start line of 10k events in my 50s among hundreds of mobile skeletons. It took a while but eventually I achieved my target. It was a Totton 10k with over a thousand entrants. For the first time, I finished in the top 60%. I doubt that any of the 596 runners ahead of me got more satisfaction. :D :D
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

New Forester wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:36 am Seeing this thread again reminded me of what I regard as one of my most satisfying sporting moments. It was about setting realistic goals. I started lugging my 13st frame to the start line of 10k events in my 50s among hundreds of mobile skeletons. It took a while but eventually I achieved my target. It was a Totton 10k with over a thousand entrants. For the first time, I finished in the top 60%. I doubt that any of the 596 runners ahead of me got more satisfaction. :D :D
Nice. I would settle for doing 10k without stopping at the moment 🤣. You’ve given me hope for the future. Did you have any particular training plans?
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

This was my inspiration. The key was a gradual build up and balancing training and resting.

Ghengis Jones
Robbie Pethick

Post by Ghengis Jones »

Apologies that I haven't read the whole thread but as someone who was pretty unfit in my mid-50s, I started at the gym, once or twice a week (going with a friend helped) until covid put paid to it. Then I started running (alone) last year and built up to managing 10k a few times with pretty unspectaular times. Got lazy again for a few months and started again in January this year. Only doing 5ks this time and without time being the main target, have knocked nine minutes off just by being fitter and not making (too many) excuses not to out. Got a bit of an ankle twist at the moment so having a week off but I shall be entering my 7th decade fitter than I entered the last four. As long as your joints are up to it (slow build up of muscle strength helps, I reckon) it has so many wider health benefits. Even my doctor has stopped tutting at me.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Wow it’s been a long six months give or take. I’ve been playing football again for a few weeks now and for the first time in many many years finding that I am really enjoying it again.

At one point I had worried my best years were behind me and I would have to hang up my boots due to the constant injuries but I’ve stuck at it, followed the tips from some of the posters and finally feel like things are in a good place.

I know off season can be a bit testy on here but you are all a bunch of great guys I wanted to say I’m really grateful for everyone who contributed to the topic.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

That’s great. Enjoy for as long as you can. My main exercise these days is mowing the lawn. I’m sure even that gets the heart rate up a little. 😀😀 And I will walk briskly to and from the station on match days.