Danny Cowley "I haven't been a good Manager"

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Danny Cowley "I haven't been a good Manager"

Post by jam tomorrow »

DC has openly admitted that he has not been a good manager these past three games now that is honesty for you and hats off to him for that. However surely the players must take some responsibility as well we have players from the Championship as well as experienced players from Jacket's era. There is no creativity near goal to set up attempts plenty of possession but no delivery, you can see the potential is there but they don't seem to have gelled as a team. In my opinion DC should select the team he feels is strongest and keep them playing together regardless of results as long as they are playing the exciting type of football we are expecting.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 378 times
Been liked: 58 times

Re: Danny Cowley "I haven't been a good Manager"

Post by GreenBlue »

jam tomorrow wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:29 am In my opinion DC should select the team he feels is strongest and keep them playing together regardless of results as long as they are playing the exciting type of football we are expecting.
Excellent suggestion JT. Happy to give it time as long as it is not dreadful to watch AND ineffective.

Exciting losses showing improvement and effort would be okay or wins with average performances showing effort would both be acceptable. Honesty from DC is good; he has recognised failings but the biggest thing now is to start making it right.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 123 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I suppose you could say that Danny Cowley is being refreshingly honest but, there again, he is also stating the obvious. He mentions the last three games but we have not seen any hint of this 'fast attacking football' we were told we were going to see since he has been here. It seems to me, just as it does to everyone else, that we are not creating chances to score goals. So, therefore, it must be painfully obvious to him that this is the problem and this seems to be the problem he is unable to solve. In my opinion the reason we don't create chances is that he failed to bring in players that are clever enough to do that. One way that managers overcome this problem is to beef up the attacking threat by using more strikers up front. More strikers up front means that forward passes have more chance of threat rather than rely on a player that can thread intricate passes to a lone striker. The so called 'route one' policy is often criticised for not being attractive to watch but it is effective when you don't have the talent at your disposal to play any other way. I would also suggest it is more watchable than seeing a series of passing that goes nowhere until they lose the ball. A good manager gets results from the players at his disposal by getting the best out of them and not by sticking to the same plan that doesn't work.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 123 times

Post by Blue Walter »

GreenBlue wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:23 am
jam tomorrow wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:29 am In my opinion DC should select the team he feels is strongest and keep them playing together regardless of results as long as they are playing the exciting type of football we are expecting.
Excellent suggestion JT. Happy to give it time as long as it is not dreadful to watch AND ineffective.

Exciting losses showing improvement and effort would be okay or wins with average performances showing effort would both be acceptable. Honesty from DC is good; he has recognised failings but the biggest thing now is to start making it right.
[/quote

Personally I don't find his 'honesty' as being in any way exsonerating for him. It's just more talk in my opinion, which he does plenty of. I would be more sympathetic towards him if he was to talk less and do more about the situation. If this was a genuine and frank admission he would explain where he has 'cocked up' and explained how he intends to put it right. I don't know if it is too simplistic to say that I think he over complicates a simple game and he baffles everyone with science, including the players.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Made a rod for his own back by promising fast attacking football. It's rare in this league as it is