Plymouth

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 59 times

Re: Plymouth

Post by GreenBlue »

Dinksy wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:20 am A few points....
ATTITUDE
- this side showed they have a bit of spirit which was certainly in question over the past few games.
FORMATION
- while offering us more going forward, it is going to be our undoing without a lot more work on the training field.
THE MISS
- I'm not a fan of Marquis as a footballer but the miss was nothing like the way it's been described in a few places. The ball had been whipped across at pace and he was still some way out and stretching for the ball. Yes, he should have scored but those chances are very missable. Crucifying him on his return is hardly going to help when there is finally a flicker of hope we may have found a way forward.
JACOBS
- Cowley is fulsome in his praise of the fans. So it's time he comes clean with us about what is going on with one of our most creative players. It's beginning to feel like the Pitman-Jackett scenario all over again.
Saved me typing most of the above. Cheers Dinksy
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 127 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I agree that this was much better last night but the problem of creating scoring chances still exists. To be honest we did not really look like scoring until we were 2-1 down and we pushed more players forward, we even had two strikers on at the same time! We need to start games with that intensity that we showed in the last 10 minutes. We don't have enough creativity without pushing more players forward so, in my opinion, we need to play this way until we get the creative players we need to play any other way. I don't think that was a Marquis miss at all as others have been saying. The ball was just simply too far ahead of him, Ray Hiron may have got to it with his long legs though. I thought that Morrell looked more like the player we were hoping for last night and I think Harness is far better used out wide. For me Curtis once again proved he is no Championship player.

Before the game Plymouth supporters were worried that Curtis & Marquis were our danger men, which just goes to show how differently people see the game. After the game Plymouth supporters thought we raised our game because we were playing against them and a lot said how dirty the Pompey team was.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Blue Walter wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:25 am After the game Plymouth supporters thought we raised our game because we were playing against them and a lot said how dirty the Pompey team was.
That's rich coming from them who had one of their players stamping on one of ours. How Camara didn't even get a yellow for that is beyond me.
jam tomorrow
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by jam tomorrow »

Although the performance sounds more promising then our last games we still are not at the level that will easily dismiss any ideas of promotion I get the feeling that DC has seen a glimmer of hope in what he saw last night. Hopefully something that is a platform for the way forward with some tweaking here and there. If someone like Ryan Hardie can just waltz through our defence twice and score there is definitely some issues to work on.
Laughter is the jam on the toast of life. It adds flavor, keeps it from being too dry, and makes it easier to swallow.
-- Diane Johnson
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

jam tomorrow wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:10 pm Although the performance sounds more promising then our last games we still are not at the level that will easily dismiss any ideas of promotion I get the feeling that DC has seen a glimmer of hope in what he saw last night. Hopefully something that is a platform for the way forward with some tweaking here and there. If someone like Ryan Hardie can just waltz through our defence twice and score there is definitely some issues to work on.
I really enjoyed last night's game. If you were a neutral it would have been a real treat. It was an exciting game, with both teams having a go, quite literally at times. It was also more akin to what Cowley had promised us. On another day we could have won 3 or 4 nil. Apart from their two breakaway goals, they didn't give Bazunu too much to do (apart from one world class save he made in the 2nd half). Our defence worked it out too late, but they should have left Romeo back for our corners as he is rapid and wouldn't have made it so easy for Hardie. Rather worryingly, that is three opposition goals I have now seen conceded straight from corners of our own, the other being at MK Dons.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

GreenBlue wrote:
Dinksy wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:20 am A few points....
ATTITUDE
- this side showed they have a bit of spirit which was certainly in question over the past few games.
FORMATION
- while offering us more going forward, it is going to be our undoing without a lot more work on the training field.
THE MISS
- I'm not a fan of Marquis as a footballer but the miss was nothing like the way it's been described in a few places. The ball had been whipped across at pace and he was still some way out and stretching for the ball. Yes, he should have scored but those chances are very missable. Crucifying him on his return is hardly going to help when there is finally a flicker of hope we may have found a way forward.
JACOBS
- Cowley is fulsome in his praise of the fans. So it's time he comes clean with us about what is going on with one of our most creative players. It's beginning to feel like the Pitman-Jackett scenario all over again.
Saved me typing most of the above. Cheers Dinksy
:thumb
blue architect
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by blue architect »

I was really proud to be a Pompey fan on Tuesday night. It had nothing to do with the game on the pitch but everything to do with the show of respect and condolences for a young life taken so tragically. At precisely 10 minutes into the game (the age at which Sophie was taken) the whole of the ground erupted in applause as her smiling face was projected across the scoreboard. Everyone stood. Great respect to all the Plymouth fans as the away end stood and clapped in solidarity.
I have never witnessed this before but the ball was taken out of play and every player and official stopped where they were, faced the angelic image of Sophie on the screen over the Milton End and joined in the applause.
Respect to everyone who was there. RIP Sophie.
THE TRICORN - BRUTAL ARCHITECTURE
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

blue architect wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:04 am I was really proud to be a Pompey fan on Tuesday night. It had nothing to do with the game on the pitch but everything to do with the show of respect and condolences for a young life taken so tragically. At precisely 10 minutes into the game (the age at which Sophie was taken) the whole of the ground erupted in applause as her smiling face was projected across the scoreboard. Everyone stood. Great respect to all the Plymouth fans as the away end stood and clapped in solidarity.
I have never witnessed this before but the ball was taken out of play and every player and official stopped where they were, faced the angelic image of Sophie on the screen over the Milton End and joined in the applause.
Respect to everyone who was there. RIP Sophie.
Agree - it was one of those moments that gave me the goosebumps - I've been at the ground on a number of occasions when applause has started at a specific minute in play, but never have I witnessed everything quite literally stopping like that. As a father, I can't begin to imagine the heartache Sophie's family and friends must be going through - utterly tragic