Harrow Borough

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Rick Pumpkin
Alan Biley

Harrow Borough

Post by Rick Pumpkin »

I'll hold my hands up and admit I've not been to a Pompey game in recent weeks what with family stuff and getting a nice dose of Covid, although I have watched a fair few on TV in the intervening time, but I realised I'm driving down for the Harrow game with more than a sneaking feeling of morbid curiosity. If I can sum it up I feel like the Victorians who used to visit the travelling freak shows, wondering what horrors I'm going to see and just how long I'll be able to bear watching what's in front of me before I up and leave or swoon (Victorians did a lot of swooning apparently).

I have a near 400-mile round trip for home games and since I gave up my ST in 2019 haven't hugely missed watching Pompey, instead picking and choosing which ones to attend. It was around the time I decided not to renew it hit me that it was the social side I would miss, especially the pre-match beer at Staggeringly with a few friends.

It's so sad that it's come to this having seen my first match in the early Seventies, following the club the length and breadth of the country, retaining a season ticket for the years I was based overseas with the RAF and lived in the US, just so I could keep my seat on the few occasions I was home, but now driving down with the expectation it is going to be the worst football I remember seeing Pompey play. Honestly, even in the dark days of St. John, Mortimore and Barker I don't remember my enthusiasm being as low as it is nowadays.

So on Saturday I expect to see our lumpen footed 'players' lose to Harrow, have their supporters singing about beating us on their big day out, and being the most miserable driver on the M40 that evening.

Someone please tell me it's going to get better.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: Harrow Borough

Post by Sam_Brown »

Yesterday I forgot we were playing and didn't remember until well into the second half. Normally I'd be pleasantly surprised at remembering we were playing and excited to see how we were doing in the game but last night I actually had a feeling of dread while waiting for the BBC Sports app to open wondering how badly we were going to be doing this game...

Only silver lining I have at the moment is that we've not lost in three games and we're at least scoring again... just. Small mercies.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Rick Pumpkin wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:11 am Someone please tell me it's going to get better.
We will beat them comfortably, Rick. That in itself will be no great achievement but your drive home will be spent wondering who we will get in the second round.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

GreenBlue wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:16 am
Rick Pumpkin wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:11 am Someone please tell me it's going to get better.
We will beat them comfortably, Rick. That in itself will be no great achievement but your drive home will be spent wondering who we will get in the second round.
I thought the same about Salsbury :rofl
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 70 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Sam_Brown wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:09 am Yesterday I forgot we were playing and didn't remember until well into the second half.
You could almost say the same about our team :lol:
itsaintfunny
Mick Channon
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by itsaintfunny »

Great post Rick and I hope you enjoy the match and have a resounding win.
I hope all is well with you and your family too.
Take care of yourselves.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Sam_Brown wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:28 am
Sam?
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Blue Walter »

Reading the Harrow Borough fans forum I can tell you that they are wetting themselves with excitement over Saturdays game. If I quote you one post it will sum up how they see this game.

"Last Saturday we played our away game in front of 89 supporters and most of those were Harrow fans. Just think this Saturday we will be playing away at Portsmouth, one of the most famous clubs in England, at their iconic Fratton Park in front of over 10000 fans. It's a dream come true to see Harrow playing such an illustrious club, who won the cup not so long ago"

Not only that they are confident that they can get a win as well. They think that they can hold Pompey and get the first goal. That will then get the home crowd on their backs and then they can land the fatal blow.

We should win quite easily but I have to admit I am worried that Pompey's confidence is already wafer thin. It would be a huge dent to their chances of staying in this league if there is an embarrassing outcome Saturday.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

GreenBlue wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:32 pm
Sam?
Something not quite right there lol. I meant Salford. Twice I’ve butchered a post in recent days 🤣
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Sam_Brown wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:05 am
Sam?
Something not quite right there lol. I meant Salford. Twice I’ve butchered a post in recent days 🤣
Trouble is, you can't blame 'predictive word' either...because that would have spelt Salisbury correctly!! :lol:
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

eltorrro wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:15 am
Sam_Brown wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:05 am
Sam?
Trouble is, you can't blame 'predictive word' either...because that would have spelt Salisbury correctly!! :lol:
Busted :lol:
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Rick Pumpkin
Alan Biley

Post by Rick Pumpkin »

I was on to the ticket office earlier to arrange another ticket for Saturday and asked roughly how many had been sold. The reply was "About 4,000 or so".

Looks like there'll be plenty of room to stretch out then.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Not able to make the game and will listen on BBC Radio Solent.

But there will be international television coverage of the match, so if anyone has a link feed......

PS I think that the Cowleys will put out a strong team, not just a youth team. Looking for a win today but it won't be easy
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Azeez starts. I know he had a bit of hype when we signed him but he’s not figured much this season. Be interesting to see what he’s made off.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Harness gives us the lead....but the Havant match is more interesting. Holding Charlton ATM. Could they get a better result than Pompey at The Valley?