Dan Cowley

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 35 times

Dan Cowley

Post by Betelgeuse »

I've just listened to his post match interview. The bloke is not up to the job, he sounds like a non league manager which is probably his level. Tired of his soundbites because nothing ever happens that is remotely connected to what he says.

Just ****** go.
Rick Pumpkin
Alan Biley

Re: Dan Cowley

Post by Rick Pumpkin »

I was all for the two of them getting the role and despite the dross served up since they came in I still think they should be given time to develop a squad that they want, not one that's imposed upon them. However, after being at the helm for 31 competitive games you'd expect to see the odd sign that their footballing approach is taking effect, but there's just nothing there at all and that's the worrying thing.

With very few exceptions, every game looks like the players have just met, there's very little joined up team play, we rarely win a second ball and the players already look so lethargic. Nothing there says fast, pressing, attacking football.

On another thread I posted a link to a thread on a Huddersfield forum that was started towards the end of their time at the club. I read through it just now and there are so many parallels in the Huddersfield supporter comments when compared to what you're reading on Pompey forums and social media. That can't be good.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

They've been dealt a slightly dodgy hand imho. There are players here they inherited that they clearly dont want & are taking up a lot of the budget. Until they are gone & they can build their squad-only then can we truly judge them. I do share some of the misgivings though but if by some miracle we can sign a decent CF & CH in Jan then we may just see a big upturn in form. I think some of the signings have been decent, Bazunu & Romeo plus Morrell have by & large have been excellent.
Some though have been below par. Hirst is not upto it. Why they brought him in after doing all their "research" I dont know. But no Manager can make all good signing-it just doesn't happen. So give em time I reckon.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

pompeygunner wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:29 pm They've been dealt a slightly dodgy hand imho. There are players here they inherited that they clearly dont want & are taking up a lot of the budget. Until they are gone & they can build their squad-only then can we truly judge them. I do share some of the misgivings though but if by some miracle we can sign a decent CF & CH in Jan then we may just see a big upturn in form. I think some of the signings have been decent, Bazunu & Romeo plus Morrell have by & large have been excellent.
Some though have been below par. Hirst is not upto it. Why they brought him in after doing all their "research" I dont know. But no Manager can make all good signing-it just doesn't happen. So give em time I reckon.
This post is the first I've wanted to respond to or comment on in this thread. I'm with you 100% PG. Sadly, it seems a significant percentage of our fan base now have it in for Cowley which I feel is very harsh. I'm also beginning to very much dislike the modern Pompey fan, and was embarrassed to be there last night when all the booing took place after the game. I tackled a few fans, but they reacted saying it was aimed at the referee which was absolute tosh. As shiiiite as the ref was, as I said to a few of them, Cowley and the players wouldn't have known the boos were aimed at the ref.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Selsey Bill wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:45 pm
pompeygunner wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:29 pm They've been dealt a slightly dodgy hand imho. There are players here they inherited that they clearly dont want & are taking up a lot of the budget. Until they are gone & they can build their squad-only then can we truly judge them. I do share some of the misgivings though but if by some miracle we can sign a decent CF & CH in Jan then we may just see a big upturn in form. I think some of the signings have been decent, Bazunu & Romeo plus Morrell have by & large have been excellent.
This post is the first I've wanted to respond to or comment on in this thread. I'm with you 100% PG. Sadly, it seems a significant percentage of our fan base now have it in for Cowley which I feel is very harsh. I'm also beginning to very much dislike the modern Pompey fan, and was embarrassed to be there last night when all the booing took place after the game. I tackled a few fans, but they reacted saying it was aimed at the referee which was absolute tosh. As shiiiite as the ref was, as I said to a few of them, Cowley and the players wouldn't have known the boos were aimed at the ref.
I'm don't know if these sort of fans are left over from the premier League glory days or what.?
People take it far too seriously imo, Just go and enjoy the day out with you friends/family. And if you can't support us when we are losing, don't support us when we are winning either.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

Oh FFS!! Sadly I care about the success of the club, I don't want to be in the shadow of scum, Bournemouth and Brighton.

The number of times I've heard that rubbish about "premier league supporters"....nope I was there in '69.

As for modern football fan, it's called passion mush.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 146 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Betelgeuse wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:33 pm Oh FFS!! Sadly I care about the success of the club, I don't want to be in the shadow of scum, Bournemouth and Brighton.

The number of times I've heard that rubbish about "premier league supporters"....nope I was there in '69.

Being passionate isn't an excuse to leave your critical thinking skills at the door dinlo!
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

Sam_Brown wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:48 pm
Betelgeuse wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:33 pm Oh FFS!! Sadly I care about the success of the club, I don't want to be in the shadow of scum, Bournemouth and Brighton.

Being passionate isn't an excuse to leave your critical thinking skills at the door dinlo!
Just because opinions are different does not mean that someone is a dinlo. This board is heading towards cancel culture.
Any criticism of the ownership or management end up being abused and in-tolerated. Fasicsm on Pompey chimes has arrived.
Last edited by Betelgeuse on Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Betelgeuse wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:20 pm Any criticism of the ownership or management end up being abused and in-tolerated.
Only when you make the same hyperbolic arguments ad infinitum and you never take on board the facts :rofl .
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

Sam_Brown wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:22 pm
Betelgeuse wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:20 pm Any criticism of the ownership or management end up being abused and in-tolerated.
Only when you make the same hyperbolic arguments ad infinitum and you never take on board the facts :rofl .
Facts are we have a ****** team and terrible manager, we are worse than at any stage in the last 4 years and it doesn't seem to be improving. But of course if I point that out I get shouted down and called names. If I question Eisner's investment and ownership I get told I'm one of the new supporters from the Premier League days. Well ****** you very much, I didn't realise this board was just for happy clappers.
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

I think a nerve has been touched.
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
Rick Pumpkin
Alan Biley

Post by Rick Pumpkin »

Not wishing to stir things up even more but I was at the Guildhall the night of the sales pitch and Eisner absolutely stated that if Tornante were to purchase the club there would be 'year on year improvements both on and off the field'.

I'd agree that off field the club is in a much stronger position than when PST and friends were running the place. But on the pitch, really?
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

rumourmonger wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:37 pm I think a nerve has been touched.
Thing is he forgets he’s previously admitted to being a WUM in the past on here and now gets annoyed when people don’t bite. Oh well I’ll leave him to his fun.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Betelgeuse »

Sam_Brown wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:40 pm
rumourmonger wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:37 pm I think a nerve has been touched.
Thing is he forgets he’s previously admitted to being a WUM in the past on here and now gets annoyed when people don’t bite. Oh well I’ll leave him to his fun.
Didn't admit to that at all. Would you like to meet me for a drink? I'm not meaning that in a threatening way, just because message boards can give a skewed perception of someone.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

I’d deffo be up for a board meet up sometime.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix