Bit off topic - F1

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 66 times

Bit off topic - F1

Post by RubiconCSL »

I'm not a massive F1 fan, but what a weekend for Hamilton. F1 looked to be doing everything they possibly could to stop the man, but he still came through with a win. I know Hamilton has a lot of haters, but I can't see how anyone could moan about that performance.

I was reading this morning that the rear wing issue was only on a small part of the wing and the gap was 0.2mm over the allowed 85mm at that point. To get pushed to the back of the grid from pole position seems pretty harsh, considering Red Bull have apparently had similar issues in all of the three previous grand prix and had no penalty. Then starting 10th in the main race and winning is pretty impressive. I know there are only really two teams with cars that can compete, but Red Bull have had the faster car most of the season and Verstappen is no pushover when it comes to overtaking him. Verstappen also got away with some questionably over aggressive defending in the race too.

I bet Hamilton and Mercedes must be well pumped up for the rest of the season. Nothing like that Millwall mentality of "nobody likes us, we don't care" to drive someone on. Compared to how boring F1 usually is, I may even be interested enough to watch one of the remaining races this year!
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 146 times

Re: Bit off topic - F1

Post by Sam_Brown »

I thought it was fantastic. Not been a massive fan over the years but this year I've been hooked. From what they were saying on the commentary yesterday the next three races should favour Mercedes cars as apparently they are better on the straights so it's going to be a fine last couple of races.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

This year has got me hooked and back into F1 again after many years of apathy. Agree, it was an amazing drive from Hamilton. Interesting to see how much the Brazilians love him.
blue architect
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by blue architect »

Totally in awe of Hamilton's performance yesterday. He certainly is a great world champion and up there with the greats in this sport, and I'm not a member of the Hamilton Fan Club in any way, but you have to give credit where due. A truly outstanding perfermance.
I just wish he had a bit more humility. His Black Lives Matter endorsement is much needed in the sport but does he not see that he too is privileged and his racial background is actually feeding that privilege as much as if he were Caucasian?

Before anyone accuses me - I am not racist. I just have an inability to express exactly what I feel in the written form, so early apologies if this offends.
THE TRICORN - BRUTAL ARCHITECTURE
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

blue architect wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:30 pm Totally in awe of Hamilton's performance yesterday. He certainly is a great world champion and up there with the greats in this sport, and I'm not a member of the Hamilton Fan Club in any way, but you have to give credit where due. A truly outstanding perfermance.
I just wish he had a bit more humility. His Black Lives Matter endorsement is much needed in the sport but does he not see that he too is privileged and his racial background is actually feeding that privilege as much as if he were Caucasian?

Before anyone accuses me - I am not racist. I just have an inability to express exactly what I feel in the written form, so early apologies if this offends.
I am not a Hamilton fan, think he is a very very good driver, up there with the greats not so sure. How many of his championships where won against his team mate and no one else?

Good drive yesterday, but again in a car which was clearly miles ahead of anyone else on the grid

In terms of his black lifes matter, he is promoting more ethnicity in racing, and yet his personal team does not include anyone of ethnic background
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 378 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by GreenBlue »

RubiconCSL wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:04 pm I was reading this morning that the rear wing issue was only on a small part of the wing and the gap was 0.2mm over the allowed 85mm at that point.
I guess rules are rules but if a car finishes with a damaged rear wing from now on, will they also get a penalty if the gap is altered? It was also only at one side too, not throughout, so possibly suggesting something had broken as with the minute details in F1, it is unlikely it would have been made defective.

But what an incredible drive, throughout the whole weekend, by Hamilton. No wonder the Brazilians love him as for many of them F1 runs in the blood. They are knowledgeable and recognise a truly great driver.

For people who say it is just the car, ask yourselves why he is in one of the best cars? Mercedes could get any driver they want and they want LH because he is still, the best driver on the grid. In my humble opinion, he is the GOAT.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

blue architect wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:30 pm His Black Lives Matter endorsement is much needed in the sport but does he not see that he too is privileged and his racial background is actually feeding that privilege as much as if he were Caucasian?

I disagree that you cannot be from a well-off background and still be a spokesperson for racial equality however in no way was your comment offensive and was very reasonably expressed in my opinion. :thumb
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:46 pm
How many of his championships where won against his team mate and no one else?

Good drive yesterday, but again in a car which was clearly miles ahead of anyone else on the grid
The best teams want and will always get the best drivers. Would he be as dominant in a Williams or a HAS? No of course not but he is in the best car for a reason. Also, for much of this season the Red Bull has been miles ahead of any other car on the grid. Wouldn't it be fun to see LH and MV racing head-to-head in the same car. :shock:
In terms of his black lifes matter, he is promoting more ethnicity in racing, and yet his personal team does not include anyone of ethnic background
Not sure if you are referring to Team Mercedes F1, which if you are, you are incorrect. If you are referring to his race engineer, personal fitness trainer and the other couple of people who work closely with him, then yes but so what? If he got rid of the current "personal team" and replaced them with people based on their colour rather than their ability, some people would have a real issue!
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

I think Mercedes should respond to the Red Bull dirty tricks by running a key down the side of Verstappen's car.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

Dinksy wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:25 pm I think Mercedes should respond to the Red Bull dirty tricks by running a key down the side of Verstappen's car.
:rofl or taking their dust caps off and pressing a broken twig in to let down their tyres.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

How many of his championships where won against his team mate and no one else?

The best teams want and will always get the best drivers. Would he be as dominant in a Williams or a HAS? No of course not but he is in the best car for a reason. Also, for much of this season the Red Bull has been miles ahead of any other car on the grid. Wouldn't it be fun to see LH and MV racing head-to-head in the same car. :shock:

I fully agree, but if he was to race against the likes Piquet and Senna, who raced in an era when cars where much more closely matched would he win as many titles. I acknowledge he is a very good driver, but if you ware winning races by lapping everyone up to 3rd place that clearly can not be put down to just being a good driver

[/quote]

Not sure if you are referring to Team Mercedes F1, which if you are, you are incorrect. If you are referring to his race engineer, personal fitness trainer and the other couple of people who work closely with him, then yes but so what? If he got rid of the current "personal team" and replaced them with people based on their colour rather than their ability, some people would have a real issue!
[/quote]

I have no doubt they would, but then people are having a problem with him preaching about inclusivity and not practising what he preaches, a no win situation some would say
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy

to put some context to whether it is just driver or car, in MOTGP Fabio Quatararo won the world championship on a Yamaha, finishing on 278 points, the next best yamaha rider finished in 10th place on the table with 106 points
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Dinksy »

GreenBlue wrote:
Dinksy wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:25 pm I think Mercedes should respond to the Red Bull dirty tricks by running a key down the side of Verstappen's car.
:rofl or taking their dust caps off and pressing a broken twig in to let down their tyres.
Hey, GB, I thought it was just me on here from Leigh Park
:lol:
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

A much quoted statement. Oddly I don't recall hearing the same said this season about MV, when he has had the best car.

I always like to see how good a driver is in the wet, when much of the technological help is out the window and it is more down to the driver's skills. Lewis is then unquestionably in a league of his own.

This weekend also proved what a fighter he is. To everyone else it looked like F1 were doing everything they could to affect the result in MV's favour. A lesser person could well have thrown his/her toys out of the pram and given up.

I do agree that I have some issues with his very selective criticism of history. On one had he supports BLM, while he's more than happy to take money from the likes if Mercedes and Hugo boss, when far closer in history they used Jewish slaves to produce nazi tanks and uniforms. I'm sure many of whom ultimately ended up in concentration camps. However, my original post was about the sportsman.
Portchesterblue2 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:46 pm Good drive yesterday, but again in a car which was clearly miles ahead of anyone else on the grid
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

Dinksy wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:41 pm
GreenBlue wrote:
Hey, GB, I thought it was just me on here from Leigh Park
:lol:
Leigh Parkers make the best pit crew. They'll have the wheels off you car even quicker than Red Bull. Actually, they can have your car stereo out in no time too.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Dinksy »

:rofl