AFC Wimbledon

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

AFC Wimbledon

Post by GreenBlue »

It's a little early, as we still have the Internationals to enjoy, but I m really looking forward to Saturday's match with an element of confidence.

If (big if) we beat Wimbledon, we will have 26 points from 18 games and be comfortably in the top 10. I certainly would have hoped for better than that at the start of the season but seeing the way the season has gone so far; that would not be too dreadful.

A decent result and a decent performance would get the eternal optimists (me, I admit it) getting excited for a potential assault on the top 6 and end-of-season play-offs. And... Santa will be here in 6 weeks too. :smt006
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Re: AFC Wimbledon

Post by Sam_Brown »

Llove how a few good results changes everything! Whole mood of the board has changed almost over night.

After the start we've had I'd love for us to finish anywhere near the playoffs! I suspect we'll fall just short but I am happy to be proven wrong. If we do go on a decent run between now and Christmas I'm really interested to see how we do in the January transfer window.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

I was just about to make this topic before remembering I actually posted in this one already! 24 hours before and slightly excited to see what the game brings tomorrow. First time in a long time tbh.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Sam_Brown wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:26 pm I was just about to make this topic before remembering I actually posted in this one already! 24 hours before and slightly excited to see what the game brings tomorrow. First time in a long time tbh.
Feel the same way, but last weekend's performance needs to be backed up with more similar results in the next few weeks. I thought we'd turned the tide when we thrashed Sunderland - look what happened then! I do feel that the team's attitude has changed though. Not sure quite why, but they were certainly all playing for the Cowleys last weekend - and the reaction of our players when we scored, and when Bass saved the pen, and made those last ditch saves said it all.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

1-0 - Great Uncle Bulgaria
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

Utter garbage so far. Ridiculous penalty to Wimbledon but we've been dire. Vast improvement needed 2nd half.
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

HARNESS!!!!! If it wasn't for him we'd be bottom.
Northstander
Gary O'Neil

Post by Northstander »

Well happy with Harness' winner. That will teach those of ours who leave early Lol
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by Blue Walter »

I don't think we played too badly really and probably just about deserved to win. We could, and should, have been 2-0 up before they were gifted their penalty. I think we played some decent football but let ourselves down with some awful passing. I thought Jacobs had a good game but we still need to find his best position. The winning goal from Harness was top class. Overall not brilliant but acceptable.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Pompey55 »

I’d agree that but wasn’t a perfect performance but for once the players showed some passion despite possibly one of the worst penalty decisions by one of the worst referees I’ve seen in a long time
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

I don't think the referee was the worst we have seen but he was certainly fooled with the penalty dive. After that the crowd was on his back and contesting all his decisions that didn't go Pompey's way. I think he was then drawn into what a lot of refs do at Fratton Park and that was to show he wasn't going to be swayed by a baying home crowd. That in turn saw him not giving Pompey any lee way by not awarding free kicks when I think he should have and, perhaps, Wimbledon had the advantage in decisions. Even so I think a lot of the decisions that went against Pompey were probably correct.
Pompey55
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Pompey55 »

I didn’t say the worst ever just the worst I’ve seen in a long time I would definitely agree that refs are prone to show that they are not swayed by a home crowd by giving any 50/50 decisions in favour of the away team
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Pompey55 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:56 pm I didn’t say the worst ever just the worst I’ve seen in a long time I would definitely agree that refs are prone to show that they are not swayed by a home crowd by giving any 50/50 decisions in favour of the away team
I wasn't saying that you said he was the worst but there has definitely been worse than him. Sometimes they dig a hole for themselves by trying to level things up and giving the home team duff decisions. Today's one certainly did coming towards the end of the game. I think he could have awarded Wimbledon another penalty. I didn't have the best veiw of the incident from my seat but it did look a bit edgy.
Sawbo Blue
Robbie Pethick
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Sawbo Blue »

Decent performance but not great. The team worked hard and we were the better team until the dodgy penalty decision. Contrary to other reports, certainly not utter garbage! After the pen we were laboured and unable to get through a really stubborn Wimbledon side. I was scratching my head when Cowley subbed off Hirst and brought on Reeco as I thought Hirst was having an ok game. But credit to Cowley as Wimbledon were tiring after employing a high intensity pressing game, and with Reeco, Harness and Curtis there was suddenly more movement and we were stretching them, plus with Morrel coming on to drive forward into the space, we began to look much better. In the end I think we deserved the win and to come from a losing position is heartening. We are starting to look more like a cohesive unit, and great to see Jacobs involved.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

I must have been watching a different game to some of you because I thought we played well on Saturday. In fact, before they were awarded their dubious (understatement) penalty I thought we played some great football and could have been 2 or 3 nil up. Even when we went behind, I always thought we would win the game, and thank you to the bookies for their generosity in offering 6/1 at half time for us to win. Morrell was the biggest game changer for me and I can only assume he didn't start because of his midweek match for Wales? Romeo was my MOTM though - he is some player, again underlining how far off the championship we are when someone like him can't get near the Millwall starting eleven.