Party Pooper ?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 114 times

Party Pooper ?

Post by Blue Walter »

I know I will get some flack for this post but I do think we need to keep our feet on the ground and be realistic.

Before I go on I am a season ticket holding Pompey supporter of over 60 years so, obviously, I am pleased to see the up turn in results.

I am of the opinion that our recent run is not really that spectacular but I do agree there has been improvement. If you annalise our last 8 games in their true context I think that the improvement is not quite as good as some seem to think. Firstly against Accrington there was improvement on the previous game (against Ipswich) with the team showing more spirit and possibly could have won the game. Next up was against Bolton which was a poor performance and was won with a bit of world class magic/ luck from Marquis. The Cheltenham game wasn't great and could have gone either way. On to the Harrogate game which was a disgraceful performance. The Crystal Palace game is included in the plaudits for this run of 8 games where the team was full of youngsters and fringe players who put in a really spirited performance. The Wycombe result was a good one against a top team but they were in a poor run of results themselves. Up next was Wimbledon who are also on a poor run of results and near the bottom of the league. I thought that they didn't really look like relegation material and they could have got a result against us as they matched our chances made statistics, although I thought we just about deserved to win. The Lincoln win was the most spectacular of this run. Everyone is beating Lincoln at the moment and they also are enduring a bad run but what is cause for optimism was the manner in the way we won.

So while I accept there is improvement I don't see us playing the sort of football we were promised. I don't see any improvement on last season yet although I do detect cause for optimism in some areas. I think the signing of Morrell could well prove to be pivotal. The emergance of Harness as a goal scorer is great and, if there is really a god, we could keep Romerio. Raggett is proving to be one of the best central defenders in League One. Hackett is starting to show that he could play at this level successfully.

So there is cause for optimism but I do think some people are reading too much into this present run and, for me, the jury is still out concerning Danny Cowley.
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 50 times

Re: Party Pooper ?

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Blue Walter wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:27 am I know I will get some flack for this post but I do think we need to keep our feet on the ground and be realistic.

Before I go on I am a season ticket holding Pompey supporter of over 60 years so, obviously, I am pleased to see the up turn in results.

I am of the opinion that our recent run is not really that spectacular but I do agree there has been improvement. If you annalise our last 8 games in their true context I think that the improvement is not quite as good as some seem to think. Firstly against Accrington there was improvement on the previous game (against Ipswich) with the team showing more spirit and possibly could have won the game. Next up was against Bolton which was a poor performance and was won with a bit of world class magic/ luck from Marquis. The Cheltenham game wasn't great and could have gone either way. On to the Harrogate game which was a disgraceful performance. The Crystal Palace game is included in the plaudits for this run of 8 games where the team was full of youngsters and fringe players who put in a really spirited performance. The Wycombe result was a good one against a top team but they were in a poor run of results themselves. Up next was Wimbledon who are also on a poor run of results and near the bottom of the league. I thought that they didn't really look like relegation material and they could have got a result against us as they matched our chances made statistics, although I thought we just about deserved to win. The Lincoln win was the most spectacular of this run. Everyone is beating Lincoln at the moment and they also are enduring a bad run but what is cause for optimism was the manner in the way we won.

So while I accept there is improvement I don't see us playing the sort of football we were promised. I don't see any improvement on last season yet although I do detect cause for optimism in some areas. I think the signing of Morrell could well prove to be pivotal. The emergance of Harness as a goal scorer is great and, if there is really a god, we could keep Romerio. Raggett is proving to be one of the best central defenders in League One. Hackett is starting to show that he could play at this level successfully.

So there is cause for optimism but I do think some people are reading too much into this present run and, for me, the jury is still out concerning Danny Cowley.
Dont disagree with anything you say Walter, however as you say there is definately reason to be optomistic.
when you can win ugly and not playing well it is always a good thing, but the team seem to be showing more effort and team work. lets hope continue to improve and the climb up the table will continue.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

Thanks - interesting comments and no 'flack' from me - you're entitled to your opinion.

Let's face it. It is only a few weeks since we had some really poor results.

Personally, I think part of their problem has been that they were not dealt a strong hand at the start of the season - high wage players that were not performing well; owners who were keen to work within a viable long term wage structure, etc.

But performances have improved. Some of the loanees have proved outstanding so far. But it is still early days to form a clear judgement in my opinion.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Blue Walter wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:27 am On to the Harrogate game which was a disgraceful performance.
Oh no, did I miss something? I was quite looking forward to that match. :wink:

Good post by the way: I am one who does need to be reminded that Pompey aren't Barcelona quite yet but I think that if the next 3 or 4 games see near maximum points and a cup win (against Harrow in 2 weeks :mrgreen:) then there will be be definite grounds for optimism and potentially dreaming. U think the Sheff Wed game will test where we really are at the moment.

All in all though, whatever the reasons, let's hope this run continues. PUP
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Milton End wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:43 am Thanks - interesting comments and no 'flack' from me - you're entitled to your opinion.

Let's face it. It is only a few weeks since we had some really poor results.

Personally, I think part of their problem has been that they were not dealt a strong hand at the start of the season - high wage players that were not performing well; owners who were keen to work within a viable long term wage structure, etc.

But performances have improved. Some of the loanees have proved outstanding so far. But it is still early days to form a clear judgement in my opinion.
I don't necessarily agree that the Cowley's were dealt a particularly 'bad hand' at the start of the season. Pompey's budget was still higher than most of their peers. No they weren't given the sort of budget as the likes of Ipswich and Wigan but still more than the likes of Plymouth & Wycombe, for instance. The budget was also higher than most of the clubs above us in the league at this moment. It has been reported that they actually stepped out of the budget to get Morrell and Romerio. I would like to see the owners spending more on the playing stock but they aren't doing anything that they said they wouldn't do.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Who's this Romerio fella then?
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

GreenBlue wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:14 am
Blue Walter wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:27 am On to the Harrogate game which was a disgraceful performance.
Oh no, did I miss something? I was quite looking forward to that match. :wink:

Good post by the way: I am one who does need to be reminded that Pompey aren't Barcelona quite yet but I think that if the next 3 or 4 games see near maximum points and a cup win (against Harrow in 2 weeks :mrgreen:) then there will be be definite grounds for optimism and potentially dreaming. U think the Sheff Wed game will test where we really are at the moment.

All in all though, whatever the reasons, let's hope this run continues. PUP
Thank you Green for pointing out my 'Boris' moment by me referring to Harrow Borough as Harrogate and I beg your pardon. You are right and it will be an interesting assessment to be made after the next 4-5 games.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Selsey Bill wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:36 am Who's this Romerio fella then?
Thank you William for pointing out another 'Boris' moment to me. Perhaps I should curtail my drivel to toilet walls. As pointed out it is Romeo and not Romerio.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Did you never read Shakespeare SB?

We all know the famous quote "Romerio, Romerio, where for art thou Romerio".
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

On a less flippant note... You can only beat who is in front of you. From my point of view even the games we've been winning I'm not 100% convinced we would have done so two months ago!
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

don't disagree but this unbeaten run is preferable to a winless one!

More importantly perhaps results breads confidence and that is sometimes all that is needed in a league of fairly even teams to make the difference between being a top 6 team or not.

Also, Robertson is going to be available for selection hopefully within the next 3-4 league games and the transfer window opens in a months time and I'd rather the club was looking to go into that window with players and a team high on confidence in terms of adding and subtracting from the squad than being without confidence, flat, out of form and starting to feel a little desperate.

I say this because I predict that there could be a surprisingly high amount of change coming in this transfer window. For example Harrison, Downing, Jacobs could all move on because their contracts are coming to an end and even Marquis could fall into that camp too. Then you have Curtis and Harness too who could attract an offer from a championship club that the club/player finds hard to turn down. We could see five or six leave and the same coming in to replace (loan or otherwise).
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

League 1 form table. This shows Pompey as the third most in form team in the division currently

https://thefishy.co.uk/formtable.php?table=3

This weekend it is 1 v 7, 2 v 5, and 4 v 3 in the form table so actually some pretty good games and alot of opportunity for Pompey if they can get a win at Gillingham to keep moving up both the form and the actual League 1 table.
Blue Walter
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Blue Walter »

Sam_Brown wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:53 am
Did you never read Shakespeare SB?

We all know the famous quote "Romerio, Romerio, where for art thou Romerio".
Surely thou art knoweth that I beith most ambivalently and appropriately employed by Ports Mouthe in the berth of righteous backeth.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Blue Walter wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:28 am
Surely thou art knoweth that I beith most ambivalently and appropriately employed by Ports Mouthe in the berth of righteous backeth.
Brilliant :thumb
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Yes