Covid - Omicron Variant - I don't even know how to feel anymore.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Covid - Omicron Variant - I don't even know how to feel anymore.

Post by Sam_Brown »

Looks like masks in shops and public transport is back on the cards again. Government must be really worried to pull this so quickly after hearing about the new variant. FFS I was hoping we were on the home straight when it came to Covid but seems like it's still here to stay. I've been on board with all the restrictions to date but I don't even know how I feel anymore with this news. I wouldn't want to work on public transport or in shops next week as I imagine people are getting wary of the constant lifting and setting of restrictions.
Mr Johnson said: "Our scientists are learning more hour by hour, and it does appear that Omicron spreads very rapidly and can be spread between people who are double vaccinated."
Someone tell me what to think as I'm just numb over the whole this now.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Re: Covid - Omicron Variant - I don't even know how to feel anymore.

Post by uspompeyfan »

World studies show that vaccinated and non-vaccinated get the virus and while vax people may, in some cases, get a lesser Covid experience, in others they may get a worse one. With this strain, kids will still have a 99.997% chance of surviving and getting antibodies that many governments will not consider as it goes against the narrative of wanting to control its people.

Many people who pass away through regular illnesses will be attached to Covid to allow additional funds to be gained by the hospitals....and this season's flu fatalities will undoubtedly be placed on this list too.

Ultimately, you and your doctor should be the only ones who force untried and rushed vaccines to be pushed into your body. Weigh up both sides and don't let anyone force you to take it if you don't feel comfortable - in a couple of years, when many vaxed people come down with heart issues, no one will blames the vaccines!!!! (Oh yes, this has already been noticed by the medical field, I forgot).

I do not blame people for taking a vaccine, it is their decision, but I will defend a person's right not to take it. After all, if a vaccine doesn't stop you getting it, what is it good for? If it does work, why do you care if someone else isn't vaxed?

I agree that this has gone on long enough. Live how you will, vaxed or not vaxed, love everyone and treat them as you would have them treat you, and finally encourage others to make their own choices, freedom is too easily taken by those who want power over you.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

My Wife and I have just returned from two weeks in Italy on friday. In Italy it was very noticeable that `mask wearing` was the norm. To get into Restaurants, Museums etc you had to have a `green card` which confirmed you had been double vaccinated. I had downloaded sheets from the NHS site showing we had been double vaccinated, which were accepted. The irony was that we had to have a `negative anti-gen` test before we went to Italy and complete a `Passenger Locator Form`. These were mandatory, although we were never asked to produce documentation proof on arrival or departure.

Coming back it was a different story. We did not have to be tested in Italy, but we did have to complete a `Passenger Locator Form`(PLF) from the "Gov UK" site and book and pay prior to departure for a `Day 2` test when back in the UK. The "PLF" could not be completed without a `code` from the Supplier of the "Day 2" test. At Rome Airport we had to show the "PLF", Proof of Vaccination status, our Passports (obviously) and our `Boarding Pass`; three times at different stages through `Security`, Passport Control and Baggage Drop off. We were saved a fourth time because `Baggage Control` had endorsed our Boarding Pass. Someone in the queue to board the plane (no sign of any social distancing amongst the hundreds of passengers) did not have a PLF, we did not see whether they allowed him on board. It was chaos! Therefore if those procedures are typical at Airports throughout the world how can infected people possibly get through the net?
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
meakinsl
Milan Mandaric
Been liked: 5 times

Post by meakinsl »

uspompeyfan wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:31 am
Ultimately, you and your doctor should be the only ones who force untried and rushed vaccines to be pushed into your body. Weigh up both sides and don't let anyone force you to take it if you don't feel comfortable - in a couple of years, when many vaxed people come down with heart issues, no one will blames the vaccines!!!! (Oh yes, this has already been noticed by the medical field, I forgot).
Sounds a bit anti-vax. It seems the problem is that from many reports it is unvaccinated people filling up the icu wards, whilst I agree nobody should be forced to take the vaccine and Austria is treading a dodgy line there I don’t think it is unreasonable the two groups can face different restrictions if it means keeping nhs functioning.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Vaccine 1 plus vaccine 2.....then a 'booster'.....now maybe a 'tweaked' one to cope with the new variant....what next when another variant comes along? Or when they discover something else that they didn't know before?
I respect the choice of those who choose to have more vaccines and I respect the choice of those who don't. We are not talking about a vote here but putting a chemical that they don't know everything about into your body. Your body, your choice, based on a balance of the information out there.
For me, I'm going to eat the right things, do (extra) exercise - (I've just started cold water swimming) - wear a mask where necessary and wash my hands regularly and leave my natural antibodies to deal with this.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Dinksy wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:46 am Vaccine 1 plus vaccine 2.....then a 'booster'.....now maybe a 'tweaked' one to cope with the new variant....what next when another variant comes along? Or when they discover something else that they didn't know before?
I respect the choice of those who choose to have more vaccines and I respect the choice of those who don't. We are not talking about a vote here but putting a chemical that they don't know everything about into your body. Your body, your choice, based on a balance of the information out there.
For me, I'm going to eat the right things, do (extra) exercise - (I've just started cold water swimming) - wear a mask where necessary and wash my hands regularly and leave my natural antibodies to deal with this.
I had the first two. Not having anymore. Omricon is an anagram of moronic.
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richisbradders »

uspompeyfan wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:31 am World studies show that vaccinated and non-vaccinated get the virus and while vax people may, in some cases, get a lesser Covid experience, in others they may get a worse one. With this strain, kids will still have a 99.997% chance of surviving and getting antibodies that many governments will not consider as it goes against the narrative of wanting to control its people.
What world studies have come up with that percentage of survival in children in a strain that only came into existence 2 weeks ago?
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Dinksy »

Mr Dee wrote:
Dinksy wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:46 am Vaccine 1 plus vaccine 2.....then a 'booster'.....now maybe a 'tweaked' one to cope with the new variant....what next when another variant comes along? Or when they discover something else that they didn't know before?
I had the first two. Not having anymore. Omricon is an anagram of moronic.
Wondered how they came up with that name! I Googled it and apparently it's the 15th letter of the Greek alphabet and is used to describe the 15th star in a constellation. It's like the name of this latest storm - Arwen. Who decided on that? Do the white coats from the Met Office or WHO go down the pub and have a vote ?
Betelgeuse
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Betelgeuse »

meakinsl wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:09 am
Sounds a bit anti-vax. It seems the problem is that from many reports it is unvaccinated people filling up the icu wards, whilst I agree nobody should be forced to take the vaccine and Austria is treading a dodgy line there I don’t think it is unreasonable the two groups can face different restrictions if it means keeping nhs functioning.
What a disgraceful way of thinking. You're on the road to facism.
Milkins
Interim Manager
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Milkins »

Think I might start driving on the right tomorrow...
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Yep why even try to stop the spread eh, what's the point in vaccinating people even if its helps just small percentage, let them die I say
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Dinksy »

Portchesterblue2 wrote:
Yep why even try to stop the spread eh, what's the point in vaccinating people even if its helps just small percentage, let them die I say
Your penchant for a mixture of twist, spin and sarcasm is beginning to make you sound like that demented idiot, Basil Fawlty, PB. Come to think of it, you may have come up with a new dance....
meakinsl
Milan Mandaric
Been liked: 5 times

Post by meakinsl »

Betelgeuse wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:05 am
meakinsl wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:09 am
What a disgraceful way of thinking. You're on the road to facism.
Mmm not sure about that, is it really surprising that countries will differentiate between vaccinated and unvaccinated when it seems to be (from reports) unvaccinated people that are filling up the ICU beds and clogging up the NHS, of course there are many that will believe that is just a conspiracy theory....
Portchesterblue2
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Portchesterblue2 »

Dinksy wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:59 pm
Portchesterblue2 wrote:
Your penchant for a mixture of twist, spin and sarcasm is beginning to make you sound like that demented idiot, Basil Fawlty, PB. Come to think of it, you may have come up with a new dance....
And you are beginning to sound like betegeuse.
So tell me where the twist and spin is in my statement please
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:24 pm Looks like masks in shops and public transport is back on the cards again. Government must be really worried to pull this so quickly after hearing about the new variant. FFS I was hoping we were on the home straight when it came to Covid but seems like it's still here to stay. I've been on board with all the restrictions to date but I don't even know how I feel anymore with this news. I wouldn't want to work on public transport or in shops next week as I imagine people are getting wary of the constant lifting and setting of restrictions.
Mr Johnson said: "Our scientists are learning more hour by hour, and it does appear that Omicron spreads very rapidly and can be spread between people who are double vaccinated."
Someone tell me what to think as I'm just numb over the whole this now.
Going back to the main question what should I feel about it.....well I'd say stay calm, don't panic.

Corona virus' always evolve and COVID19 has already produced variations many many times already. Omicron is a variant that is a concern because some of its variations are the variations that computer modelling warned would create particular problems to humanity in terms of it being more easily transmitted and more easily able to survive contact with the anti-bodies that those are vaccinated and those that have recovered from the infection have naturally acquired.

This variant needs to be subjected to 'live testing' against these antibodies and the vaccines and medicines we have developed to see what happens in real life. This will take a few weeks before results can be seen and shared. Caution therefore will be applied until more is known.

Even if Omicron is able to be fully resistant to the vaccines we have currently these vaccines can be adapted in relatively short time to combat this variation.

This game of 'cat and mouse' with the virus is one of the reasons' that a worldwide vaccination programme is so important. The virus does not respect lines of a map or geopolitical divisions. It just needs hosts so that it can replicate itself. It is for this reason that COVID19 is a Global pandemic issue for Global Public Health.

The more it replicates the higher the risk of an 'error' in that replication and these 'errors' are the variations we have seen and will continue to see. This situation with Omicron was a question of "when, not if" and now we need the scientists to get to work to understand what this variation actually does when it comes into contact with the human body.